Vick sentenced to 23 months in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Source: ESPN.com

RICHMOND, Va. -- Michael Vick was sentenced to 23 months in prison Monday for his role in a dogfighting conspiracy that involved gambling and killing pit bulls.

U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson could have sentenced the suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback to up to five years. Vick pleaded guilty in August, admitting he bankrolled the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation and helped kill six to eight dogs.

Vick also received three years' probation. With nearly a month already served, Vick would be scheduled for release in October 2009.

Vick, wearing a black-and-white prison jumpsuit, had no visible reaction when Hudson issued his punishment. Vick apologized to the court and his family.

In his plea agreement in August, Vick -- who waived his right to appeal his sentence then -- admitted bankrolling the dogfighting ring on his 15-acre property in rural southeastern Virginia and helping kill pit bulls that did not perform well in test fights. He also admitted providing money for bets on the fights but said he never shared in any winnings.

Josh10_10

The Realist Baller
Reaction score
The expected sentence was 12-18 months, but they've gone past that. Some people are saying the reason he got 23 was because he held out so long and didn't cooperate from the get go. The other two that have already been sentenced got 18 and 21, so this is just increasing.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Just shy of 2 years in the big house. I hope he can come out of this fine, and change his ways....doubt he'll play football again though, even though I'd like to see him back.

PinoyBallaZ671

Reaction score
I feel very sorry for this guy's career right now, but this guy is a complete disgrace to the NFL. I doubt that he will EVER get back on the field.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ehh he got it easy. He should have gotten the max!
His excuse for this is "I grew up in a rough neighborhood"...Well so did a ,ot of others and they are just fine...
I hope he never plays again.

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd love for Vick to come back to the NFL... well I did love the idea, but he deserves this.

bulls12

Reaction score
Vick could play football again, just not in the NFL. he would be the star QB for the prison football team lol. maybe it'll be like The Longest Yard and they play the guards.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Vick is going to be back in the NFl as soon as his sentence is over (in about 16 to 18 months), so all this "I hope he never plays again" talk should die right here.

Hell, the falcons might bring him back, like they said on PTI, Arthur Blank and Vick are were/are good friends and he truely cares about Vick so dont be surprised if he remains a Falcon....

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I heard somewhere than the Falcons GM said that he should/could be back in the NFL after he gets out of prision.

He is still going to be in football shape, if not better, seeing as working out is the only thing you can do it prision. And what he has is skill not luck, the only reason he wouldn't be back is because he can no longer be trusted.

bulls12

Reaction score
Vick is going to be back in the NFl as soon as his sentence is over (in about 16 to 18 months), so all this "I hope he never plays again" talk should die right here.

Hell, the falcons might bring him back, like they said on PTI, Arthur Blank and Vick are were/are good friends and he truely cares about Vick so dont be surprised if he remains a Falcon....
well if you think about it, by the time he gets out he'll be nearly 30 and he will lose his speed (which is arguably his most dangerous weapon) and he can't really pass that good right now anyways. Vick without speed is not really much of a football player. so I think IF he comes back, he won't be that good.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
well if you think about it, by the time he gets out he'll be nearly 30 and he will lose his speed (which is arguably his most dangerous weapon) and he can't really pass that good right now anyways. Vick without speed is not really much of a football player. so I think IF he comes back, he won't be that good.

most of the great players in the league are at least thirty....and his speed wont all of a sudden vanish....and his arm is good enough to have him the NFL is it not?

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I really hope Vick can come back to the Falcons. He was a great player, and also I hope he can actually change his ways, and who he hangs around, which I think he will after this.

bulls12

Reaction score
most of the great players in the league are at least thirty....and his speed wont all of a sudden vanish....and his arm is good enough to have him the NFL is it not?
really my point is that when and if he comes back, he won't be effective enough to win games for the Falcons the way he has in the past.

also I wonder about the Falcons' need for a quarterback...they'll likely draft Brohm in next year's draft, but where will Vick fit in with the Falcons once he gets back? (assuming that Brohm won't be a bust.)

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
really my point is that when and if he comes back, he won't be effective enough to win games for the Falcons the way he has in the past.

also I wonder about the Falcons' need for a quarterback...they'll likely draft Brohm in next year's draft, but where will Vick fit in with the Falcons once he gets back? (assuming that Brohm won't be a bust.)
Depending on how Brohm will do, Vick could be a 2nd, but once he gets back in shape and stuff, he'll move to #1.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
actually i say after he gets out he will be more athletic because most people there get more in shape and stuff just incase they get into fights and stuff

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
actually i say after he gets out he will be more athletic because most people there get more in shape and stuff just incase they get into fights and stuff
And probably because thats pretty much all they can do there.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Vick got 23 months because instead of coming clean about his involvement in the Dog Fighting Ring from the beginning, he opted to lie to investigators and actually forced the Feds work. One thing I know about the Government and it's officials...they dont like to work.

I am tired of this topic, we have all talked it to death. But keep in mind that Vick also has to face the State indictment as well, which could mean even more time in a State Prison after his Federal jail sentence is done.

Look at the bright side, Vick now has the next 23 months+ to figure out the West Coast Offense. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%