Tuck contemplated retirement after rough season with Giants

Ricky

Reaction score
Justin Tuck wasn't Justin Tuck last season. He alternately was injured, surly, and often unproductive. His shoulder injury made life miserable. It made Tuck think about a life without football.

"After the hardships of last year, I did some soul-searching, and really had to ask myself if this is what I want," Tuck told Steve Serby of the New York Post on Tuesday. "Obviously, I'm back, and I just feel kind of refreshed mentally. I think a lot of things were weighing on me last year where I couldn't necessarily be my normal self on and off the football field. I've kind of put those things in the past now and moved forward."

Those things included the death of his grandfather and uncle during last season. Along with his injuries, there were "several points" last year Tuck thought about walking away.

"Definitely did. I contemplated it," Tuck said. "But, I think that was just me feeling sorry for myself for a little bit there."

Tuck said he spoke about it with his wife. He spoke with coach Tom Coughlin with roughly six weeks left in the season. At that point, Tuck couldn't lift his arm above his head.

"Honestly, just consulted a lot of my family and closest friends, and just realizing this is what I love to do, and I'm not ready to give it up regardless of the hardships," Tuck said. "I think for a little while, like I said, I felt sorry for myself because of the fact that I'm sitting here saying like, 'Why is all this happening to me?' I don't think I was thinking clearly. After winning the Super Bowl, getting away from football for a while allowed me just to think clearly."

The Giants -- who are increasingly thin on the defensive line -- must be thankful Tuck did not decide to call it quits at age 28. We wouldn't read too much into this news, but it's a story to file away and remember if Tuck continues to have injury troubles.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000050464/article/justin-tuck-of-giants-thought-of-retirement-last-season?module=HP11_headline_stack

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
well he had neck injuries so I can understand him being worried and shit about his health long-term.

Shaka

Reaction score
The thing with Justin Tuck is he's one of the most intelligent players in the NFL. He really is and you can see that even through this story. I've always considered him someone who would retire when he felt he wanted to retire, not play until he's 37, and be successful somewhere else.

I'm glad it didn't happen as early as it could have. Love this guy.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Thin on the defensive line? Uhh JPP, Tuck, Osi, and Kiwi at DE sometimes?

Anyways, I think this is a positive sign because if he felt like crap last year and had significant injuries, then he is going to be ready to go next year and thats great for the team moving forward.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think he means thin due to injuries. Austin, Rodgers, Canty and Bernard are all hurt, I believe. That's mainly on the interior though.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Seeing such a great player walk away at 28 would have sucked. JPP and Tuck are a DE duo that will talked about for years barring severe injury to either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%