TTN 2012 NFL Mock Draft 2.0

TTN2810

Reaction score
This is the first time I've done a mock with full explanations. I know it's long, so a big thank you goes out to anyone who takes the time to read it all. Hope you enjoy it, I worked hard on it.​

1. Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
I don't think any mock in the world has any other pick here than Luck. If there was any chance at all the Colts were still considering Griffin III for top pick, Griffin smashed those hopes by declining to work out with the Colts. The Colts have known they were going to take Luck since they knew they'd have the first overall pick. They shouldn't waver, or psych themselves out with Griffin hype. Luck will fit well with them, and a returning Wayne is a receiver who is exactly the kind of crafty vet Luck can do a lot of damage with, and who will help his development.​

2. Washington Redskins - Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
As stated in the last pick, Griffin clearly wants to play for the Redskins, turing the Colts down on an offer for a workout. The Redskins traded up for Griffin, he's their man, and he wants to be their man. Getting Garcon in free agency paired with Moss gives Griffin the speed at WR he was used to in college, and Hankerson and Morgan give him some size as well. Pairing these weapons with TE's Cooley and Davis give him a good stable of weapons, and despite what Donovan McNabb says, the Skins system is a good fit for Griffin,and with the weapons he has, the fit seems almost perfect for Griffin too succeed even as a rookie.​

3. ***Miami Dolphins*** - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
Though it's odd to see QB's go 1,2 and 3, the Dolphins are pressured into trading up to take Tannehill. They failed to grab Peyton Manning in free agency, and claim they didn't feel Flynn was franchise QB material. Though Tannehill isn't an elite prospect, or close to it, he provides a long term plan which could allow Moore to play as a temporary starter, without fans complaining the team doesn't have a plan. Having Moore, who is a very serviceable QB, allows Tannehill to have at least a year to sit, and to develop his wealth of skills.

4. Cleveland Browns - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
I've been struggling with this pick, but Tannehill being gone helps. In my opinion, they have four options: Richardson, Blackmon, Claiborne, or a trade down. I don't think they will trade down, they already have picks 22 and 37. That leaves the three players, and Richardson is the best of them all, and also fills a huge need. Blackmon isn't as good a player as Richardson, and Claiborne would be nice to pair with Haden, but CB isn't a huge need like RB is for the Browns. Richardson will help take the load off a young QB whoever that may be, whether it's McCoy or someone they draft.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
This pick is pretty obvious to me. The Bucs aren't going to take, they filled that need by getting Vincent Jackson. Richardson is gone too, and even if he was here I still think they go Claiborne. Looking at their roster, CB is the need, and they are lucky Claiborne is here. Talib can't be counted as jail may be in his future, and Ronde Barber is 36. Sure, they signed Eric Wright, but I've heard more than one person say Wright was the worst starting CB in the league last year, and there's a reason. Claiborne strengthens the secondary giving the young defensive line some help as they develop.

6. St. Louis Rams - Matt Kalil, OT, USC
The Rams have to be pretty pleased with themselves with this pick. They trade the number 2 pick, ensuring the team has a bright future with what they received in the deal, and they get the franchise tackle who they would have taken at 2. No, Bradford doesn't get his #1 WR in Blackmon, but I think he'd be just as happy knowing he'll be protected. Plus, it's a deep WR class and they could find a sleeper WR with #1 potential in the second or third round.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
The Tannehill trade up/reach allows Blackmon to fall to them at 7. They may consider Reiff to protect Gabbert, but I think they want a new feel in Jacksonville and a potential star in Blackmon brings that the Jacksonville. Gabbert had no one to throw to last, maybe having no one may have literally been better. Blackmon now gives him a top man to target with a big throwing radius, and a guy who can stretch the field, neither of which he had last year.​

8. ***Minnesota Vikings*** - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
At 8, they Vikings can choose between Reiff and Floyd. I originally slotted Floyd here, but after thinking it over, they go with Reiff. It's not a sexy pick like Floyd is, but Christian Ponder was sacked 30 times in the 11 games he played, so Reiff gets the nod over a risky Floyd. He's solid in all aspects of his game, and can be a good run blocker for Peterson as well as a pass protector for Ponder.​

9. Carolina Panthers - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi
Michael Floyd is very tempting here. Carolina is committed to Newton and would love to get him another weapon in Floyd, but DT is too huge a need, and too hard to pass up on when a player like Cox is there. He will help improve the Panthers poor run defence that let teams run for an average of 130 ypg last year. He'll also be a big help in rushing the passer from the inside, which is a special quality Cox has. Poe is another option, but he's very risky, but they potential is there and could be tough to resist.​

10. Buffalo Bills - Michael Floyd, WR, Buffalo Bills
This pick seems to easy- a little too easy, it makes me suspicious. Nonetheless, they gave Fitzpatrick a huge contract, and Stevie Johnson isn't enough help for him. Floyd's stock has been on the rise and 10 seems like a good spot for him. Although teaming Floyd, who has some character concerns with Johnson, who also is quite the character kind of scares me, I don't think they can pass up on a WR with this much talent. Kuechly could be picked here as well, but I like Sheppard and Barnett in the middle.​

11. Kansas City Chiefs - Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
Draft history tells me they like to take defensive lineman early, spending 3 picks since 2006 on them. Make it four here. Dontati Poe's immense potential could make him a top 12 pick, or his low production could cause him to be drafted in the 20's. The Chiefs take him here however, to take over for 35 year old Kelly Gregg at NT, hoping he will help improve their 25th ranked run defense from last year. If Poe can reach his potential he'll be a space eater inside allowing edge rushers like Hali and Houston to increase production as well.​

12. Seattle Seahawks - Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
I've heard rumblings that the Seahawks are interested in trading down, to take inside linebacker Dont'a Hightower. However I'm sure they weren't expecting Kuechly to be here at 12. Kuechly is a much better prospect than Hightower, and is a huge upgrade over the players on the current roster. They add one of the safest players in the draft. This is a no brainer pick if he's available.​

13. ***Tennessee Titans*** - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
Though the Titans don't have a stacked roster, they don't have many holes. Though Cortland Finnegan left, they have good young talent at CB, and many view DT as a need, but rookies Karl Klug's and Jurrell Casey's play was encouraging. So, what's left is DE, and with a number of teams in the teens looking for pass rushers, they trade up to take Melvin Ingram. Ingram will take over the injury prone bust that is Derrick Morgan, combining with Kamerion Wimbley are the Titans new and improved pass rush.​

14. Dallas Cowboys - Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
This pick just seems to fit. The Cowboys like their big names, and Coples is just that. Dallas' cockiness will allow they to think they can get the best out of Coples who is a self declared slacker. Coples has the size and versatility to move to 3-4 end and make an impact if he can come close to his top 10 skill set. I'm just wary of Coples, and I worry he'll be a contract player, much like Albert Haynesworth, but playing at end.​

15. Philadelphia Eagles - Mark Barron, S, Alabama
Mark Barron will hopefully be a staple in the Eagles defence, much like Brian Dawkins was. Philly was weak in the middle last year, and adding DeMeco Ryan will sure help, but adding a safety like Barron will sure up the middle. Barron has the ability to cover TE's and is a sure tackler inside. Tackle may have been an option, but after signing Demetress Bell, a tackle is not longer needed here.​

16. New York Jets - Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State
The Jets select Shea McClellin over Whitney Mercilus here due to the fact the McClellin is more versatile and more consistant. He's just a flat out gamer. He can line up on either side, and has the speed and power, plus excellent instincts to be an effective pass rusher. McClellin is too small to play at 4-3 end, but is athletic enough to play outside linebacker in the Jets 3-4 scheme.​

17. Cincinnati Bengals - David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
The only three OG's on the Bengals roster: Clint Boling, Otis Hudson, and Travelle Wharton. DeCastro would be an upgrade over any of them. The Bengals clearly need help at the guard position, as they only average 3.9 ypc last year. While it's debatable that that could be because of Cedric Benson, it doesn't hurt to get a big time guard to pave the way this season for newly acquired BenJarvus Green-Ellis, AKA The Law Firm.​

18. San Diego Chargers - Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois
San Diego drafts a much needed pass rusher here in Mercilus. Antwan Barnes production (11 sacks) pretty much came from no where last year, but on the other side Shaun Phillips only had 3.5 sacks and is soon turning 31 years old. Though Mercilus is very raw, he is quick around the edge and has a knack for getting to the QB, even without having special moves. Mercilus will add a young aggressiveness to the Chargers pass rush and try to get them back to an elite unit as they once were.​

19. Chicago Bears - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
Lots of Bears fans hope this pick is Kendall Wright. Yes, he would help things on offense, but adding Marshall will open things up for other guys who were asked to better than they were last year. Charles Tillman was a Pro Bowler last year, but he's 31 and the CB group is thin after him, especially at the second CB spot. Gilmore will fit their base cover 2 scheme well, and try to strengthen a secondary that has to play the Packers and Lions elite passing units 2 times yearly each.​

20. Arizona Cardinals - Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
Arizona traded down simply because the value wasn't right at 13 for a WR or OT. If Wright is gone here, the value is good for Martin and maybe Adams. However, Wright is here, and the Cardinals give Kevin Kolb another big time threat other than Larry Fitzgerald. Now teams will have to worry about Wright beating them, and he can go deep or take a short slant to the house. Wright should be a star in Arizona as he'll only face single coverage, as long as Kevin Kolb can get him the ball.​

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
This is another pick that just about everybody seems to have. And it makes sense. Leon Hall is coming off a torn achilles, Nate Clements is 32, and the third guy is Adam Pacman Jones. Need I say more? Jason Allen is added to the group, but he isn't anything special either, and has had a disappointing career. Kirkpatrick will be a solid cover guy across from Hall, but his physical play and instincts will fit nicely. Hall and Fitzpatrick will form a very good duo in a division where they will be facing Roethlisberger and Flacco.​

22. Cleveland Browns - Rueben Randle, WR, LSU
I almost, put the obvious choice of Stephen Hill here. Well, I did. At first. But then looking for a potential pick for Houston, I went back to look at Randle film. The first time I watched him, I didn't see a first round pick. But this time, I saw a damn good WR. Way more NFL ready than Hill, and will be able to be an instant impact for the Browns. He's big at 6'3, and has great long speed, giving the Browns a much needed deep threat. He's also a guy that also has the skills to be a good possession guy in the short and intermediate levels, as he knows how to use his size to his advantage.​

23. Detroit Lions - Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
As a pure shut down corner, Jenkins rivals even Morris Claiborne as the best in the draft. But his well publicized character concerns could drop him to as low as mid-second round. Lucky for him the Lions are desperate and will take him here, hoping he can clean up his act and just play some football. The Lions need Jenkins, as the best talent on the roster at CB is borderline starters. This could be the steal of the first round if he doesn't turn into another Pacman Jones.​

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama
Another pick everyone has. Hightowers size and physicality will allow him to play inside or out in Pittsburghs defense, and fit in well. If he plays inside like expected, he'll be taking the vacant spor left by 37 year old free agent James Farrior. The other guy on roster to fill it would be Larry Foote, who is also 31. Hightower could go a lot higher than this, and the Steelers could be left to reach for a corner or take a tackle to replace Willie Colon, who is coming off an injury and moving to the right side.​

25. Denver Broncos - Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
Some people think Michael Brockers could go as high as 6, so this pick is nice for the Broncos, who are super thin at DT after the departure of Bunkley. I've felt for a long time Brockers is very overrated, so I went back to watch more of him since a lot of people like him. I still saw a guy who is non existent when double teamed, and a guy who can be handled by a single blocker. He's an explosive tackler and has good closing speed, but I still saw a second round prospect. The Broncos take him here because of potential upside.​

26. Houston Texans - Stephen Hill, WR, Houston
It was pretty clear last year without Andre Johnson, they don't have any type pf WR threats. Hill's potential and immediate deep and red zone impact warrant this pick for him. Other than WR, Houston doesn't really have any huge holes to fill, so if Hill is gone, or they just don't want him, I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down and stock pile some picks.​

27. New England Patriots - Devon Still, DT, Penn State
With New England playing a lot more 4-3 defense lately, they are going to need another DT, and lucky for them, it's a deep DT class and they get a stud in Devon Still. He plays a bit high, but he's very explosive and can disrupt both run plays and has the speed to get the the quarterback. I personally like Still better than Poe and Brockers, but will fall due to the others having better potential.​

28. Green Bay Packers - Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama
Courtney Upshaw is a prospect I like but don't love. He plays fast at his size, which is now up to almost 280, which is pretty big for an OLB. Either way, he'll rush the quarterback, which Green Bay really needs opposite Clay Matthews, and he plays the run well. He will have a tough time transitioning to OLB if he's asked to cover anybody. He has tight hips and isn't fluid. I like him better at 4-3 end, but he's Green Bay's best option here.​

29. Baltimore Ravens - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
Most won't have Martin falling this far. If Arizona or Chicago don't take him, I could see him falling all the way to 29, if someone doesn't trade up for him. If he does make it here, the Ravens will be very happy. He's a great run blocker, which will benefit Ray Rice. Martin will take 32 year old McKinnie's spot, who has had recent weight issues. Now they won't have to worry about it, and will have a franchise left tackle that fits them perfectly.​

30. San Fransisco 49ers - Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech
The 49ers have one of the best rosters from top to bottom. They are pretty much free to take whoever they want here. If there is a need, it's CB. Carlos Rogers is 30, so getting another top CB is logical. With the consensus first round corners gone, Jayron Hosley is next in line. Though on the small side, Hosley is very athletic and with some added bulk he has Pro Bowl potential.​

31. New England Patriots - Andre Branch, OLB, Clemson
It was no clue last year that the Patriots were weak in their front seven. So, in this draft, they don't trade down with either pick, and instead use both on front seven guys. Andre Branch has great speed to rush the quarterback, but uses his speed to move laterally quickly as well to stop the run. He's versatile enough to play 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE for the Patriots who like to play both systems. I like him better as on OLB however.​

32. New York Giants - Lamar Miller, RB, Miami
The NFL is clearly turning into a running back by committee, so the Giants add Miller to Bradshaw and Ware after losing Brandon Jacobs. Miller is inferior to both Doug Martin and David Wilson, but both have similar running styles to Bradshaw, so they opt for a change of pace home run threat, if there is such a thing in the NFL. The Giants don't need much, so this pick is really up in the air.​

*** Miami Dolphins trade 8th, 42nd, 73rd, and 104th overall picks to the Minnesota Vikings for the 3rd overall pick.​
*** Tennessee Titans trade 20th, 84th, 116th overall picks to the Seattle Seahawks for the 13th overall pick.​

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Bears just signed Kelvin Hayden and Jonathan Wilhite, so they're probably going to be looking at DE in the first.

Just make Mercilus fall to #19. ;)

TTN2810

Reaction score
Even with those signings, I'd take Gilmore. I'm not a fan of either of them.

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Even with those signings, I'd take Gilmore. I'm not a fan of either of them.
Gilmore is definitley better than both of them, but CB is just not as big of a need as DE is now.

Tillman and Jennings are set to be the starters, D.J. Moore has the nickel locked up under Lovie as long as he's around and Hayden and Wilhite can replace Bowman and Graham on special teams. I still wouldn't mind a CB in the middle rounds though.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
We aren't taking Branch at all.... he's an awful fit

and lol at Miami trading up

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Really not sure we would risk taking Jenkins with the latest problems with Leshoure and Fairley. As dumb as it is lol.

TTN2810

Reaction score
We aren't taking Branch at all.... he's an awful fit

and lol at Miami trading up
You look dumb when you reply with "lol" or "he's an awful fit"
Give some reasons, and not empty replies taking shots at people. You do what Kam used to. He is a good poster now though.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why has Jonathan Martin been slipping so much lately? Seems like most mocks have him in the 25+ range. At the end of the season, he was damn near a top 13 lock.

I don't pay as much attention to linemen as I do other positions... Also haven't heard many negative comments about him, so the stock drop seems as though it's out of nowhere.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Since when is Dre Kirkpatrick a WR from Baylor?? ;)

I'd be fine with DeCastro & Kirkpatrick. Nice work, always a good read.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
You look dumb when you reply with "lol" or "he's an awful fit"
Give some reasons, and not empty replies taking shots at people. You do what Kam used to. He is a good poster now though.
kam is no different than before lol

Pats like Vinny Curry more than Branch (I think Curry is our #2 LB behind Mercilus), and we can get him later in the draft.
With a need at OG, and Cordy Glenn available, I don't see us passing him over for a DE/OLB who isn't even the best available at his position

TTN2810

Reaction score
kam is no different than before lol

Pats like Vinny Curry more than Branch (I think Curry is our #2 LB behind Mercilus), and we can get him later in the draft.
With a need at OG, and Cordy Glenn available, I don't see us passing him over for a DE/OLB who isn't even the best available at his position
So how does them liking Curry make Branch a bad fit? You were just trying to make me look dumb ahah. Curry is no where near the player Branch is btw.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Why has Jonathan Martin been slipping so much lately? Seems like most mocks have him in the 25+ range. At the end of the season, he was damn near a top 13 lock.

I don't pay as much attention to linemen as I do other positions... Also haven't heard many negative comments about him, so the stock drop seems as though it's out of nowhere.
For me, it's because he's not elite as a pass blocker, and because their isn't much of a need for OT. I also don't pay as much attention to o line, but I still do my work.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
BTW, Rex is enamored with Upshaw, if he's there, he's our pick

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
And you havent heard that Mel Kiper, who gets about 30% of his mocks correct at best, is the only one to have McClellin in the Top 40....

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Poe is so ridiculously overrated that it's disgusting. I saw some film on him the other day that showcases this... I'll try to find it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%