Tristan Thompson Returning For Sophomore Season

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
TULSA, Okla. -- Texas freshman forward Tristan Thompson delivered some good news to Longhorns fans Saturday by declaring that he will return to school for his sophomore season.

"I'm coming back another year," Thompson said repeatedly in the Texas locker room at the BOK Center, where the team was going to practice in preparation for its Sunday round of 32 game against Arizona. "I've already signed up for summer classes."

Texas men's basketball SID Scott McConnell said sophomore Jordan Hamilton also said he will return next season.

Texas officials cautioned that the players could both change their minds after the season.

There are plenty of players who have talked a good game about staying in school during the season and then declared for the draft afterward, but Thompson left no wiggle room in his statements.

He said one of his prime motivations is to play next year at Texas with fellow Canadian and incoming recruit Myck Kabongo, who will be on campus in Austin next school year. Kabongo is the No. 2 point guard and No. 9 overall prospect in ESPNU's top 100 prospects for 2011.

"I'll come back another year for him," Thompson said. "I'd love to play with him."

Thompson certainly has a viable NBA draft stock right now. ESPN.com draft analyst Chad Ford currently rates the 6-foot-8, 233-pound Thompson the No. 11 overall prospect -- and that was before Thompson got the best of his head-to-head matchup with 6-foot-11 Oakland senior center Keith Benson here Friday.

Ford rates Benson the No. 45 prospect in the draft.

Texas coach Rick Barnes did not sound surprised by Thompson's declaration, but he did sound pleased.

"He's the kind of guy who has never had an agenda," Barnes said. "I know what he wants to do in basketball and the kind of player he wants to be. I think he loves where he is right now."
ESPN

Good news for the Longhorn faithful

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Good decision he's stock isn't too high. Another season to improve and get better.

Mooche

Reaction score
I was so happy to hear this news. Thompson will help his stock moving to the next level by staying one more year, and adding Myck to the mix, Texas will be just fine.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Scouts won't be forgiving when he's still making the same mistakes as a 21 year old sophomore.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You guys were saying that earlier this year...

What happened LOL

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's a 20 year old freshman...I'd leave
He's definitely not ready for the NBA... If he came in next year, had a bad season and lost his confidence, we'd never hear from him again.

Taj Gibson came into the league at 24-25 and is doing just fine for himself.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
We received word today from sources close to the situation that Texas bigman Tristan Thompson has signed with an agent and is foregoing his college eligibility. Look for the official announcement to come in the next few weeks.

Thompson is a physical specimen who showcased his tremendous length and defensive ability by shutting down Derrick Williams for much of the Arizona-Texas match up in the round of 32.

The 6'9 freshman is projected by scouts as a likely mid-first round pick in the 12-20 range. His offensive game remains unrefined, but he's a hard worker and excellent rebounder.

His length and disruptive defensive presence and shot blocking ability combined with his skinny upperbody has drawn comparisons from scouts to former top 10 pick Brandon Wright.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%