Travis Shaw beats Panda

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
So Chris Young and Brock Holt will be platooning in LF...Travis Shaw instead of Panda. Big contracts on the bench, there has to be a trade, right?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I dont like it at all. Shaw has had a nice Spring but Panda hasnt been too bad either. I feel like Panda should have been absolutely abysmal before putting him on the bench. I expect Shaw to have a short leash. Sox need to be careful tho. Jerking Shaw around hinders developmwnt.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Pharoah said:
I dont like it at all. Shaw has had a nice Spring but Panda hasnt been too bad either. I feel like Panda should have been absolutely abysmal before putting him on the bench. I expect Shaw to have a short leash. Sox need to be careful tho. Jerking Shaw around hinders developmwnt.
Shaw is ready. He had a good call-up, and his spring has been good. I am fine with them benching Panda, hopefully it is like a wake up call.

anfield

Reaction score
And it's not like Shaw is a spring chicken. He's 25 years old and has given every indication that he's ready. Something's gotta break with Panda – hopefully a trade. We'll see...

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Anfield said:
And it's not like Shaw is a spring chicken. He's 25 years old and has given every indication that he's ready. Something's gotta break with Panda – hopefully a trade. We'll see...
I am praying we deal Panda and Rusney, they don't have to be together. Panda for Shields, Rusney and Brian Johnson for Bauer.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Value on these guys is rapidly decreasing.

anfield

Reaction score
Pharoah said:
Value on these guys is rapidly decreasing.
YES! This is the only thing I don't like about these moves. Castillo and Panda just took a huge value hit, and it almost turns into a salary dump situation. I'm ok with it if it helps them win ballgames though.

Do the Sox have a better chance at winning without these two in the lineup? Or are they shooting themselves in the foot re: potential suitors?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And I'll say the Sox have been here before. Have to be careful this isn't another Will Middlebrooks situation.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Pharoah said:
And I'll say the Sox have been here before. Have to be careful this isn't another Will Middlebrooks situation.
Poor Youk never recovered :(
GMF said:
A lot of years left on that contract...
Not really, 3-4?

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
4 years counting this season. I guess my point was after year 1 of 5 he's already on the bench.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
GMF said:
4 years counting this season. I guess my point was after year 1 of 5 he's already on the bench.
Weight issues, and Shaw. Doesn't surprise me, good for DH next season.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Allen said:
Weight issues, and Shaw. Doesn't surprise me, good for DH next season.

Panda def in line to DH next season. Its his defense that has him in the dog house with Farrell. Still cannot figure out why they wouldn't shift Fatty to 1B and have Hanley work out at 3B again.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Pharoah said:
Panda def in line to DH next season. Its his defense that has him in the dog house with Farrell. Still cannot figure out why they wouldn't shift Fatty to 1B and have Hanley work out at 3B again.
Red Sox management is always mind boggling :)

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
I have no problem with this. Give it to the guy who earns it.

Keep in mind though that Shaw has never hit above .275 in his days in Pawtucket, and everything he's hit so far has been a small sample size or preseason success. He had a big decline at end of the season last year, so we don't know if this trend will continue until you try him out.

Can't be any worse than Panda.

But if you think this means a trade, I think you're wrong. Who would take Panda? I don't even think the Padres are truly interested in him.

Pharoah said:
I completely disagree with this. Hanley Ramirez is more in line to be the DH with Shaw or Holt taking over at third.

Why would we have a DH that can't hit reliably when that's his only job (in reference to Sandoval)?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I have no problem with this. Give it to the guy who earns it.

Keep in mind though that Shaw has never hit above .275 in his days in Pawtucket, and everything he's hit so far has been a small sample size or preseason success. He had a big decline at end of the season last year, so we don't know if this trend will continue until you try him out.

Can't be any worse than Panda.

But if you think this means a trade, I think you're wrong. Who would take Panda? I don't even think the Padres are truly interested in him.

I completely disagree with this. Hanley Ramirez is more in line to be the DH with Shaw or Holt taking over at third.

Why would we have a DH that can't hit reliably when that's his only job (in reference to Sandoval)?
Because we can assume Shaw is already at 3B, Holt is better off as a super utility man, Hanley has looked very good at 1B. What's left to do with Panda?

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Pharoah said:
Because we can assume Shaw is already at 3B, Holt is better off as a super utility man, Hanley has looked very good at 1B. What's left to do with Panda?
I don't know, but you don't make a DH out of a guy who can't hit. Let him sit on the bench and use Hanley at DH. You're still better off with Shaw at 1B (or anyone else) and Holt at 3B.

Holt needs a position for himself, and one that makes sense. This guy was an All-Star. Shouldn't be a super utility man for it.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I don't know, but you don't make a DH out of a guy who can't hit. Let him sit on the bench and use Hanley at DH. You're still better off with Shaw at 1B (or anyone else) and Holt at 3B.

Holt needs a position for himself, and one that makes sense. This guy was an All-Star. Shouldn't be a super utility man for it.
I look at a player like Holt and immediately think Chone Figgins.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Pharoah said:
I look at a player like Holt and immediately think Chone Figgins.
What are you implying? That he'll have a quick decline? You might be right there, but right now you do what's best for the team and Holt is the better player right now.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
What are you implying? That he'll have a quick decline? You might be right there, but right now you do what's best for the team and Holt is the better player right now.
Figgins' career hit a wall when they stopped him from doing what he did best, playing super utility man.

Sandoval's Agent: "...why leave the Ferrari in the garage?" lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%