Tim Lincecum NL Cy Young

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think due to his drug bust, Tim should NOT have been considered.

That, and he has FUGLY long hair
That's dumb as hell. Him smoking weed doesn't make him any worse of a pitcher. It isn't a Citizen Of The Year award.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And it wasn't a drug bust <_<. He had some, not even alot. And he wasn't smoking it

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Cy young is the best pitcher, not the most valuable pitcher. Strikeouts do not show who pitched better. Strikeouts show who dominated more players. Fly ball outs on the first pitch are more efficient then strikeouts and get the job done the same way. Carp had a better ERA, better win % (I don't like to look at wins, but your number of losses if a good stat to look at imo.), better WHIP. He's not a strike out pitcher, but he got guys out just like Lineceum, and got them out more efficiently.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
obviously all 3 were deserving but I think we can all agree that Carpenter deserved it the most.

Benny21

Reaction score
Wow you guys are such haters. Disqualifying him because of less than an eighth of weed? Seriously? Just because Lincegod won and Carpenter/Wainwright (who were both great pitchers) doesn't mean you guys have to flip about it. They were all great and it was a close race because of that. Lincecum deserved it

STLZACH

Go Blues!
Reaction score
Wow you guys are such haters. Disqualifying him because of less than an eighth of weed? Seriously? Just because Lincegod won and Carpenter/Wainwright (who were both great pitchers) doesn't mean you guys have to flip about it. They were all great and it was a close race because of that. Lincecum deserved it
like i said, i think more of him because of the weed, dude is livin the life.
weed has nothin t do with the cy young.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Weed has nothing to do with out. We're flipping out because the numbers favor Carpenter, and the fact that he missed a month and still had 2 more wins and 3 less losses in my opinion means he did the better job for his team. People can pull the "quality starts" bs on me, but the difference is only of 4 games, 4 games he didnt start due to an injury. If he had not been injured I think that number would be much closer.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ok, but the truth of the matter is that he got injured...

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Wins and losses arent a good barometer of measuring a pitchers success. A pitcher can give up 1 run and not get any run support and lose 1-0. How is that fair? Lets talk about WHIP, another popular statistic. But, the final figure provides a general sense of how a pitcher performs when two more specific figures produce a clearer sense. If I were a general manager, I'd rather know how many walks and how many hits a pitcher allows in nine innings than a total of baserunners allowed. And WHIP doesn't reflect hit batsman, so it's not precise. And in the case of Dave Bush (15 HBP in 114 1/3 innings), that would be nice to know.

I'd rather know total bases allowed per nine innings and have walks and hit batsmen included, with singles, doubles, triples and home runs valued as they are in slugging percentage calculations. WHIP provides no sense of how many bases are allowed, just as opponents' batting average doesn't. I'd opt for opponents' slugging percentage instead of opponents' batting average.

The quality start also bothers me too. The lowest standard for a quality start is three earned runs in six innings, and that yields a 4.50 ERA. Too high. Three earned runs in seven innings yields a 3.86. And that suggests quality.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ehhh. I thought Carpenter was going to win. Congrats to Lincecum though.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
One person = you guys?

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
nobody's flipping out, everyone's just surprised

I don't think anythings wrong with Tim smoking weed I just thought that might affect his votes, also he didn't have the best stats out of the three imo

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Cy young is the best pitcher, not the most valuable pitcher. Strikeouts do not show who pitched better. Strikeouts show who dominated more players. Fly ball outs on the first pitch are more efficient then strikeouts and get the job done the same way. Carp had a better ERA, better win % (I don't like to look at wins, but your number of losses if a good stat to look at imo.), better WHIP. He's not a strike out pitcher, but he got guys out just like Lineceum, and got them out more efficiently.
you even said it.
you dont look at wins. losses are the same.

you can give up 1 unearned run and still lose. 1-0

bottom line, Carp hurt Wain, and Wain hurt Carp.
split votes means the middle man wins, and the middle man was Lincecum.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Its what happens in MVP races as well, Ive seen that countless times where they split their votes.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
you even said it.
you dont look at wins. losses are the same.

you can give up 1 unearned run and still lose. 1-0

How is this a legit award if the middle man won? This is the best pitcher not the middle man award.

MrBaseball

Reaction score
I'm going to sum Lince up for you in one word "Beast". The kid comes out of nowhere to completely dominates the National League. If I were the Giants, at this point I would consider trading away some arms for bats because honestly, Lince is all they need on the defensive side.

Just my two cents...

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah bc you only need 1 starter out of 5 to do well.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm going to sum Lince up for you in one word "Beast". The kid comes out of nowhere to completely dominates the National League. If I were the Giants, at this point I would consider trading away some arms for bats because honestly, Lince is all they need on the defensive side.

Just my two cents...
The only arms that are tradeable on that staff are Sanchez...and maybe Brian Wilson but I don't want to see him go. They have pitching prospects to trade rather than members of that staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%