Tigers Acquire Fister and Pauley

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Tigers were on the hunt to add a fifth starter to their rotation before Sunday's non-waiver trade deadline, and it appears they have succeeded.

The Tigers have reportedly traded left-handed reliever Charlie Furbush and outfielder Casper Wells to the Seattle Mariners on Saturday in exchange for right-hander Doug Fister and relief pitcher David Pauley, according to CBSSports.com.

Tigers' highly touted third-base prospect Francisco Martinez and a player to be named later are also expected to be included in the deal, CBSSports.com's Danny Knobler reports.

Martinez -- ranked the Tigers' No. 4 best overall prospect, according to Baseball America -- was considered expendable with third baseman of the future, Nick Castellanos, progressing in West Michigan.

Sports Illustrated's Jon Heyman first reported the deal had been finalized.

Despite a 3-12 record, Fister has a 3.33 ERA and an impressive 1.17 WHIP in 21 starts this season for the Mariners. He has not won since May 30, but has received only 10 runs of support in his previous 10 starts, according to STATS, Inc. Fister, 27, will be arbitration-eligible for the first time over the winter.

Pauley, 28, boasts a 2.15 ERA and 0.99 WHIP over 39 games for Seattle. Both Fister and Pauley aren't eligible for free agency until 2015.

Wells, 26, was batting .257 with four homers in 64 games this season before being optioned to Triple-A Toledo. Furbush, a 25-year-old rookie, is 1-3 with a 3.62 ERA in 32 1/3 innings and 17 appearances.

In what appears to be an unrelated move, Detroit reportedly called up its No. 1 overall prospect, Jacob Turner, from Double-A Erie to start today's game against the Los Angeles Angels. He is expected return to Erie following Saturday's start.

Knobler reports the move is not intended to showcase Turner, and does not expect the club to trade the 20-year-old super-prospect. Turner is 3-5 with a 3.48 ERA in 17 starts for Erie this season. He has struck out 90 in 113 2/3 innings. Opposing batters are hitting .239 against him.

Detroit has been rumored to be involved in a handful of trade talks involving starting pitchers the past few weeks. Among the targeted that the Tigers have reportedly expressed interest in include, Rockies' Ubaldo Jimenez, Orioles' Jeremy Guthrie, San Diego's Aaron Harang and the Dodgers' Hiroki Kuroda.

Trade talks involving Jimenez seemingly fizzled Friday night between Detroit and Colorado after the Rockies reportedly insisted that top prospect Jacob Turner be included in any offer. SI.com reported Colorado, at one point, was also seeking Turner and either Rick Porcello or Max Scherzer.
Really like this deal. Got a couple pieces that will be with us for a while and can help us right now. A nice starter and another nice arm out of the bullpen.
Just based off ERA, Fister would be our 2nd best starter. Smh lol.
Kind of upset we gave up Martinez, but Casper and Furbush were certainly expandable.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Remember the last pitcher you guys traded for from Seattle? :p

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Remember the last pitcher you guys traded for from Seattle? :p
That's actually the first thing I said to myself when I heard about the trade lmao.
I hope it's not a repeat of Washburn.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Washburn was the prototypical pitcher for the Mariners. Got a lot of flyballs in a big pitchers' park and had Ichiro and Felix Gutierrez patrolling the OF for him.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Washburn was the prototypical pitcher for the Mariners. Got a lot of flyballs in a big pitchers' park and had Ichiro and Felix Gutierrez patrolling the OF for him.
Yeah pretty much.
I don't know much about Fister, but I'm hoping he isn't like that lol.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's pitching better then he should be, but he is a decent pitcher and a should be a decent #3 starter or a solid #4.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Yeah, he's not as good as his ERA suggests, he's more of a 4 ERA guy than a 3.3, but he'll be solid, definitely better than guys like Coke

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I really like this too. Knew we'd get a deal done and we did. I heard a lot about Martinez, but I didn't know a whole lot about him, but i'm the most upset about Wells. I know he was very expandable, and wasn't getting playing time. I just liked what he did when he played. Oh well. I wish them well and hope Fister and Pauley come in and do what they need to for us. No Washburn 2.0 lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%