Thunder Not OKC Name, Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
OKLAHOMA CITY -- The NBA has filed for trademark rights to six nicknames for the league's new Oklahoma City franchise: Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder and Wind.

An attorney for the league made the filing Monday with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Marshal is usually spelled with one l. It's not clear why the league used a variant spelling.

The filing is listed on the patent office's Web site.

The NBA and the team have refused to discuss possible new names for the team formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics ahead of an official announcement, which has not yet been scheduled.
Energy? Marshalls? Wind?
WTF is this Disney Channel?

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Oklahoma City Joy of Painting with Bob Ross' <3

NjNets15

@SeanDugan2
Reaction score
The NBA filed for trademarks for the nicknames Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder and Wind, one of which the Oklahoma City franchise will adopt.

LMAO This gets better and better, Bison? Energy? Marshalls?

OMG PLEASE NAME THEM THE WIND I WILL DIE LAUGHING

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wind FTW!!!

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rip posted this..

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Topic merged..

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
funny thing is that the OK City Outlaws (my preferred name) is already owned by a company due to it being an ex-professional team -- so you could see that name purchased, too if selected.

it's going to come down to an internet vote, I bet

bulls12

Reaction score
Captain Planet is what I think about when I hear the name Wind lol

bosox1918

Reaction score
Almost all of these names sound like they were made for a team in the newest edition of "Disney's High School Musical". I have to agree with jarrod2323. "The Oklahoma City Outlaws" sounds the most like an NBA franchise's name and i to agree that somehow, this will come down to an internet vote.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Has to be Thunder or Barons. The Heat are successful, so I reckon the Thunder could be.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
About every single fan poll I have seen shows that "OKC Outlaws" is much preferred. I think "OKC Wind" sounds like a WNBA franchise & "OKC Marshalls" is not only an error in spelling but also quite lame.

Being that Oklahoma City is near the center of Tornado alley, I thought "OKC Cyclones" makes a lot of sense. With that being said, "OKC Thunder" is also a good fit if playing by the rules of weather...however I believe there is a minor league sports team called "Wichita Thunder" that is OKC's arch nemesis.

If you want to really go with a name that displays proper history and heritage,"OKC Bison" is the one to go with. I know "Bison" isn't the most glamorous sounding name available but I really can't stand it when teams take nicknames & mascots that have no association with the respective city. (i.e. there's no Bobcats in Charlotte, North Carolina)

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
All names are fine, but I've heard some people who want "Oklahoma City Bombers"

:eek:

Grandy28

Victory!!!!
Reaction score
I think OKC Barons would be the best.

Barons sounds the best.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
About every single fan poll I have seen shows that "OKC Outlaws" is much preferred. I think "OKC Wind" sounds like a WNBA franchise & "OKC Marshalls" is not only an error in spelling but also quite lame.

Being that Oklahoma City is near the center of Tornado alley, I thought "OKC Cyclones" makes a lot of sense. With that being said, "OKC Thunder" is also a good fit if playing by the rules of weather...however I believe there is a minor league sports team called "Wichita Thunder" that is OKC's arch nemesis.

If you want to really go with a name that displays proper history and heritage,"OKC Bison" is the one to go with. I know "Bison" isn't the most glamorous sounding name available but I really can't stand it when teams take nicknames & mascots that have no association with the respective city. (i.e. there's no Bobcats in Charlotte, North Carolina)
Agreed, I think they should go with Bison though...

Thunder is lame, and the logo would also be lame.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
All horrible names, doesnt matter to much to me though since I wont be a fan. Out of those names I say Barons is the best fit, Wind would be a slap in the face...

But, two other things:

Maple - Bob Ross is the man, I still watch his show every saturday morning.

AE - Charlotte took the name "Bobcats" b/c of owner Bob Johnson lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%