The Opt-Out

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
So as we have seen over the course of this off-season and in the past, the opt-out has been becoming very popular for players and teams. What are your feelings for this deal? Is it a good thing for players and teams, or not so much? Every opinion counts, no wrong one here!

catman

Reaction score
If the player plays well enough to decide to opt out, the team will have done pretty well for those seasons. If the team wants to re-sign them at that point, it should cost a bit more.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
catman said:
If the player plays well enough to decide to opt out, the team will have done pretty well for those seasons. If the team wants to re-sign them at that point, it should cost a bit more.
So my question to you is, do you think this helps or hinders free agency?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

catman

Reaction score
I think it actually helps the players. If they play well, they can re-do the deal. If not, they have guaranteed money. Why the teams do it, I don't really know.

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
It's a nice incentive for both players and teams. It allows teams to be flexible and have an "out" for bad contracts if the player sours after signing, and it also allows players to test the market if the team spirals downhill or they outperform their current contract. I see no issues with it.

catman

Reaction score
Players won't exercise their "opt-out" if they have been playing badly. They wouldn't sign a deal that gives the team the option at that point. They will stick with the guaranteed money.

cole

Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
It's a nice incentive for both players and teams. It allows teams to be flexible and have an "out" for bad contracts if the player sours after signing, and it also allows players to test the market if the team spirals downhill or they outperform their current contract. I see no issues with it.
That'd be a team option, not an opt-out.

Ian Kennedy has an opt-out of his 6/80 deal after the first 2 years. Lets say he shits the bed and has a sub 4/5 ERA. He'll ride that contract out and sign a small deal afterwards. If he goes on to have a Cy-Young season he will opt out and possibly get a massive contract in FA.

It makes no sense for teams to do it... all it does is gives more control to the player to leave if he does well.

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
cole said:
That'd be a team option, not an opt-out.

Ian Kennedy has an opt-out of his 6/80 deal after the first 2 years. Lets say he shits the bed and has a sub 4/5 ERA. He'll ride that contract out and sign a small deal afterwards. If he goes on to have a Cy-Young season he will opt out and possibly get a massive contract in FA.

It makes no sense for teams to do it... all it does is gives more control to the player to leave if he does well.
It's not requires though obviously, so if teams include it and then get burned by it, it's their dumb mistake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%