Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Source: Eagles release Pro Bowl guard Evan Mathis

George Gojkovich / Getty Images

Evan Mathis joins the list of former Philadelphia Eagles Pro Bowl players to be discarded by Chip Kelly.

The Philadelphia Eagles released Pro Bowl guard Evan Mathis on Thursday, a source confirmed to FOX Sports 1 NFL insider Mike Garafolo. Pro Football Talk first reported the story.
Mathis, who turns 34 in November and was due a $5.5 million base salary in 2015, had not been participating in the team's offseason activities as he'd hoped to receive a pay bump amid reports of increasing acrimony between team and player.
According to a Philly.com report on Tuesday, the Eagles had offered the two-time Pro Bowl guard an incentive-laden, restructured deal last September that would have boosted Mathis' annual salary by $1 million. However, that proposal came with Howie Roseman still general manager of the team. With Chip Kelly now having complete personnel control in Philly, when Mathis revisited and tried to accept the offer after the 2014 season, the team and Kelly reportedly yanked the offer from the table.
Third-year tight end Zach Ertz spoke about Mathis' absence this week. 
"If you go against Chip, I've think we seen . . . if you don't buy in, we've seen what happens," Ertz said, via Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com. "Not to say that as a threat in any way, but we want guys that love the process each and every day, whether it's June 1 or January 1 or February 6, whatever day the Super Bowl is. We need guys that are going to come in each and every day and work and I think that's what we're building right now."
Instead, Mathis becomes a free agent and will learn what his real value is on the open market. Kelly had previously told reporters during the run-up to the NFL Draft that he had given Mathis' agent Drew Rosenhaus the go-ahead to find a team willing to trade for Mathis, but that no offers came.
Mathis confirmed the release on his Twitter shortly after the report surfaced:

Mathis was selected in the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft by the Carolina Panthers. Despite his advancing age and missing seven games in 2014 with a knee injury, Mathis made the Pro Bowl in each of Kelly's two seasons as Eagles head coach and earned first-team All-Pro honors after the 2013 season.
Mathis becomes yet another veteran among a long list of multi-time Pro Bowl players who have been cast aside since Kelly's arrival in Philly two years ago, including WR DeSean Jackson (3 Pro Bowls) and RB LeSean McCoy (3 Pro Bowls).

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
He's been projected to be gone from the team for a while now

I thought he'd be moved for a 5th, but I guess not.

Interesting to see where he signs. I'd like to think he fits perfectly to what the Pats need at LG

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
That's not true

He was worth the extra money; he is one of the best offensive lineman in the league (Top 5)

But i wouldn't give him a large contract either. It was a good move by Kelly, but don't act like Mathis didn't deserve to be paid that highly

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
That's not true

He was worth the extra money; he is one of the best offensive lineman in the league (Top 5)

But i wouldn't give him a large contract either. It was a good move by Kelly, but don't act like Mathis didn't deserve to be paid that highly

hes turning 34, how many guards play that much longer.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Who the hell is going to pay $30 Million dollars for the Pontiac Silverdome lol.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Evan Mathis was all hype perpetuated by PFF.  He's a good player, but them saying he was the best lineman in the league dating back to at least 2008 was fucking ridiculous. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Big Bid'Ness said:
Who the hell is going to pay $30 Million dollars for the Pontiac Silverdome lol.
the place is a dump. i cant believe the state let it sit there and decay when someone owned it.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Papa Pugzo said:
the place is a dump. i cant believe the state let it sit there and decay when someone owned it.

Now you can own it for just 30 mill and fix it up for more than what you payed for it lol

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
and it'll sit there because no one will book it. just demolish that piece of shit lol

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
its a waste land now lol. the parking lot is trash and the neighborhood it's in is trash. it was. if it was kept up itd be worth a damn but it's seriously garbage now.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
the bmx video from earlier this week was sweet but the community thought it was terrible because it shows how nasty the arena is.

EDIT: it doesnt even have the dome anymore. it blew off recently i think

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The tiny arms explains his arm strength

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score

According to ESPN's Adam Caplan, rookie Duke Johnson has been "the most impressive" Browns running back at OTAs.

Caplan acknowledges Johnson needs to keep it up when the pads go on, but says his "money" would be on Johnson emerging as a three-down back. Seeing as GM Ray Farmer and RBs coach Wilbert Montgomery have both publicly compared Johnson to scatback Gio Bernard, we're not entirely sure the Browns envision Johnson as a true lead runner. Johnson did show the ability to run inside and create on his own at Miami (FL), however. Behind one of the league's better offensive lines, Johnson will be an intriguing flyer pick in 2015 fantasy drafts, particularly of the PPR variety.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Junior Galette is the biggest thug pos in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%