The Los Angeles Lakers and the #2 Overall Pick

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
NOTE: This is all assuming Karl Anthony-Towns will go #1 to Minnesota

The Lakers were the lone movers in the draft lottery, as they skipped ahead of the Sixers and Knicks, and will have the #2 overall pick in the 2015 NBA Draft.

This draft is headlined by two very talented big men, Karl Anthony-Towns and Jahlil Okafor. Now assuming Towns goes to the Timberwolves with the top pick, the consensus thought is that Okafor will follow in the light of Wilt, Kareem, and Shaq (and not Dwight Howard) as the cornerstone Laker big men. But is that the best move for the Lakers?

While Okafor probably is the most offensively developed big man in recent NBA Draft history, his defense is, currently, not good. At all. And the Lakers with the year's previous pick took PF Julius Randle, another skilled offensive player with not a strong defensive game. A combo of Okafor and Randle would be a great inside offense, but defensively would be quite weak. And Okafor and Randle offensively could potentially be redundant if not coached properly.

So what is the alternative? D'Angelo Russell.

Like Okafor is the most talented scoring big man in this draft, Russell is the most talented scoring guard in this draft. He has very good handles and can create his own shot easily. Its very hard to replace Kobe Bryant, who is most likely playing his last season in the league, but if anyone can step up to the plate, its Russell. A Russell/Randle combo offers a great inside-out game, where that outside game isn't present if Okafor is the selection.

So what do you think the Lakers should do? It's very hard to pass on a big like Okafor, but I personally believe that Russell is the better pick for them.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
D'Angelo, because he aint even stretch doe 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Also, I bet the Wolves take Okafor. They have a head coach as GM/President. Flip is going to see a back to the basket player with developed post moves and pull the trigger in a second. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I mean, I wouldn't be surprised by that knowing that the best two bigmen that they've had since Prime KG was Al Jeff and Love, whom are both offensive scorers

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Whether it makes sense or not, we all know Okafor and towns are going Top 2. Fuckin Lakers they always get the players they want. Why can't I be happy for once?

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Whether it makes sense or not, we all know Okafor and towns are going Top 2. Fuckin Lakers they always get the players they want. Why can't I be happy for once?

I think you're gonna be happy with the guard you're gonna get.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I'm actually not a huge Mudiay fan, but he'll still be good tho. But he won't he John Wall good imo (that's his current comp according to experts)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%