The EPL Thread!

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
I know! Sheesh, talk about behind enemy lines...

There should be a preview for the next weekend soon.

Thank goodness we're at home again.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Premier League preview

Saturday lunchtime's North London derby between Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur kicks off the latest round of Premier League fixtures.

The day of Halloween sees nine top-flight matches take place, including Chelsea's trip to Bolton Wanderers, Fulham versus Liverpool, Manchester United against Blackburn Rovers and troubled Hull City's clash with Burnley.

It all begins in the capital when Arsenal welcome bitter rivals Tottenham to Emirates Stadium, live on Sky Sports 1 & HD1. The clash has all the promise of an intriguing affair, with the sides level on points at third and fourth in the table. The corresponding match last season saw the duo play out an enthralling 4-4 draw in Harry Redknapp's first official game in charge of Spurs.

Said scoreline largely represents the Gunners' start to the new term: leaky at the back but dangerous when going forward. Also, like against Tottenham in 2008, Arsene Wenger's side have been susceptible to throwing away leads this campaign. They can, though, take heart from an impressive record versus their foes, who have not beaten Arsenal in the league in 10 years. Redknapp has transformed Spurs' fortunes since taking over, although a home defeat against Stoke last time out has blemished their promising start to the season.

Table-toppers Chelsea make a North West trip to the Reebok Stadium to tackle Bolton in one of seven 3pm kick-offs. These two teams met during midweek in the Carling Cup, and it was the Blues that emerged triumphant after a convincing 4-0 victory. But the Trotters may fancy their chances in the league meeting, with Chelsea's flaws coming on the road so far. Carlo Ancelotti's men have lost their last two away day matches. Furthermore, Bolton's recent league form has been impressive, with Gary Megson's charges managing a return of 11 points from their previous six encounters.

Liverpool should enter their game with Fulham on a high after their do-or-die result versus the champions last weekend. A much-rotated side lost against Arsenal on Wednesday, so confidence is still likely to be high among those players that overcame United. Fulham should offer tough opposition, after the Cottagers battled back from two goals down for a point at Eastlands last Sunday. Dropping points in this game would likely again turn up the heat on Benitez, so another performance from Fernando Torres and co. will be crucial. Expect Alberto Aquilani to also make his Premier League bow.

Having suffered defeat at Anfield, Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson will demand a response from his charges in their evening kick-off versus Blackburn at Old Trafford. Ferguson was left disappointed by not only the result on Merseyside but also the performance. The Scot will not take too kindly to a repeat of such a sloppy display. The match is yet another difficult away day for Blackburn, who lost 5-0 against Chelsea seven days prior. The selection of referee for United fixtures always makes for interesting reading, and Phil Dowd's appointment is no exception. United have lost five of the 12 matches that Dowd has refereed in the Premier League.

Many of this week's headlines have surrounded the future of Hull manager Phil Brown, with betting even suspended on his axe. But the club have since issued a statement insisting Brown remains in charge. However, the turmoil took another twist on Thursday when chairman Paul Duffen resigned from his post. Quite where this leaves Brown remains to be seen but a victory at Burnley on Saturday would do much to turn attentions to their performances on the pitch, rather than the speculation off it. For their opponents Burnely this is a chance for them to demonstrate Turf Moor remains a difficult place to visit, after their 100 per cent record was relinquished last weekend.

Portsmouth have also been under the spotlight after the Premier League announced they will be prevented from registering any new players until further notice. Yet another distraction for boss Paul Hart, who would prefer to put all his efforts into lifting the club off the foot of the standings, and not having to answer questions about the club's future. Wigan are their opposition, a side boosted by a comfortable win at Burnley and growing under the stewardship of Robert Martinez.

Seventh-placed Aston Villa tackle an Everton side that has struggled for consistency so far this campaign. The Toffees are without a win in five matches in all competitions. The goalscoring form of Louis Saha, who has six league strikes to his name, has at least been a shining light for manager David Moyes and the French attacker will be looking to spoil what is set to be a landmark day for Brad Friedel. The 38-year-old goalkeeper is poised to make an incredible 200th consecutive top-flight start.

Sunderland will aim to continue their excellent home form when they host struggling West Ham United. After fine displays versus United and Liverpool, the Black Cats stuttered against Birmingham City last weekend. But Steve Bruce will be optimistic of returning to winning ways, as his men have won their last four home league games in a row, netting a total of 12 goals in the process. Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola will have been encouraged by the character shown by his side last time out, and will be hopeful that a first three-point haul since the opening day of the season is within their grasp.

Stoke City go head-to-head with Wolverhampton Wanderers at the Britannia Stadium. The Potters have carried last season's fine form into the current campaign, and they have won four of their last six matches on their own turf. Wolves, meanwhile, are just a point above the relegation zone, with their lack of firepower continuing to prove a nuisance. Just two of their nine league goals to date have come in the first half, so manager Mick McCarthey will demand more urgency from his troops as they look to edge away from danger.

On Sunday, Birmingham City lock horns with Manchester City in a game that can be seen live on Sky Sports 1 & HD1. Blues coach Alex McLeish's decision to play a 4-4-2 system in their last match paid dividends as they ended a run of three straight losses. Such ambition could again be rewarded versus a City side that has not kept a clean sheet since the end of August. Mark Hughes' City have lost just once this term, but three straight stalemates have recently dented their bid to upset the top four.

Source
Should be an interesting week.

I wanna try and watch Arsenal Spurs but it will be hard with United playing at 4.30 am...I gotta sleep sometime I guess.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Congratulations to Liverpool on rendering last weeks result essentially meaningless!

On the other hand, a good result for United. Berbatov's goal was claaaaaaaasss :D :D :D

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
fulham... Dear god! REALLY!?!?!?
Rafa is the dumbest <Censored> of a manager I've ever seen. At 1-1 he takes of Torres and Benayoun, your ONLY goal threats. I thought the first red card was harsh, but the second one was definite. You cannot pull players down when you are the last man, and Carragher has done it THREE times in two matches. Once against Owen, and twice against Fulham. At least he was punished this time.

You guys have a task on your hand beating Lyon away mid week.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Well we lost 1-0 to Chelsea this week, and that is much harder to take than losing to Liverpool, mainly because I felt we deserved a win.

TO be perfectly honest though, I'm getting a bit tired of referees. Terry hauls down Valencia by his shirt in the first half, and thats deemed perfectly legal. Fletcher makes a legitimate tackle and comes away with the ball and is fouled. From the resulting free kick Terry scores, and the goal is allowed to stand despite Drogba clearly hauling down Brown in the box, a player in a prime position to stop the header from going in.

Just no consistency.

Well, hold that thought:

Against Liverpool: one clear penalty denied, a clear red card not given, and Lucas is allowed to persistently foul.

Against Sunderland: Ref fails to give a foul against Jones despite clattering the keeper who was first to the ball.

Against Chelsea: see above.

I guess that is consistent then...

I hate to be the whinger, it just gets frustrating after a while. I suppose we get lucky as well, but most of the time we make that luck, not the referees.

So advantage Chelsea I guess. 5 point lead, but they still have some challenging matches to coming up, and I'm convinced if United can repeat that performance we will beat anyone in the league.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
just to note, the ref bailed you out just prior to Terry's goal. How Drogba got the yellow instead of Evans is a mystery..heck, it could have even been red.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
just to note, the ref bailed you out just prior to Terry's goal. How Drogba got the yellow instead of Evans is a mystery..heck, it could have even been red.
That is true. But I will say this. Evans is looking at the ball, and any defender knows you raise your knee to protect yourself in an aerial battle. Drogba is looking at the player, not the ball, he was never going to win the ball and he really had no buisness being under Evans. That doesn't excuse Evans but he is just winning the ball. Evans should have been booked, but not sent off.

That still doesn't make it right for the ref to stuff up two calls. Drogba was offside before you even consider the foul on Brown, and Rooney was never offside in the first half when he was put clean through by Ando. I don't normally go out of my way like this to make a point of refereeing (and I think I proved that against Liverpool where I had more than enough to complain about), but it was shambolic today, and it did a great injustice to the team who deserved at the very least a point.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Well I'm glad United have responded well to the loss against Chelsea. That's two 3 goal wins since. I sense a big winning run coming, much like last season. THe only problem is, I don't see CHelsea losing...Hopefully Arsenal can pick up a point, but I doubt they will, given the lack of RVP...

BTW, excuse my absense. After exams finished I went away with some friends for a week to honour the great tradition of heading down the coast and getting absolutely <Censored>ing smashed every night for a week to celebrate the conclusion of our high school education.

Long story short, I'll be active around here once more.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Well I'm glad United have responded well to the loss against Chelsea. That's two 3 goal wins since. I sense a big winning run coming, much like last season. THe only problem is, I don't see CHelsea losing...Hopefully Arsenal can pick up a point, but I doubt they will, given the lack of RVP...

BTW, excuse my absense. After exams finished I went away with some friends for a week to honour the great tradition of heading down the coast and getting absolutely <Censored>ing smashed every night for a week to celebrate the conclusion of our high school education.

Long story short, I'll be active around here once more.
Nice to hear that you'll be sticking around.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Get in!

United 2

Scousers 1

Fantastic result.

Enjoy the Europa League next season scousers :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%