Suggestions

Atlas

Banned
Reaction score
Something I've always done...just a few, tiny, small, minor..."tweaks"....suggestions.

My first question: Where the hell is the actual debating around here? Seems like everyone gets a long a little too well and agrees a little too much. No, not asking for e-wars, but I think Sportz Insomnia lacks the attitude in the discussion that gets people all fired up to want to join in. Why are there no Player Comparisons going on?

Add Player Comparisons subforum to each major sport. Most places have this and its forum gold. Another site I'm on, a kid posts: "Kenny Britt vs. Hakeem Nicks". Most agree that Britt hasn't shown as much as Nicks, its obvious, but even with such a dump player comparison...members jump all over this guy. 2 pages in a Britt vs. Nicks comparison thread and then it becomes 3 once another person chimes in with the opinion that Britt will be better. Wanna guess how many pages "Adrian Peterson vs. Chris Johnson" was??

Add Gameday Threads subforum. Mods set up the gameday threads each week and them archive them the week following. Nobody may be watching or talking about "Cardinals vs. Bills" (example) but who knows, we need to have it as an option. I see there's a lot of gameday talk in the General NFL or NBA discussion threads but it's unorganized and sometimes people are having 3 different convo's on 1 page.

^ You could make the argument that both of these could be posted in the general section of each sport's main forum however, I am a firm believer that having the designated subforums is what encourages the activity.

Re-Drafts anyone? I was hearing that only the NBA Sim League has stood the test of time here and that's about right. FBB is a great program and there's nothing like it available for the other 3 major sports. BUT...how about some re-drafts? Typically people love the draft aspect of a sim league but eventually leave and stop paying attention once the season rolls...unless they are winning. Re-drafts don't take as long, winners are decided via majority vote, and if your team sucks...hey, we pack it up and start over soon anyways.

Add Visitor Messaging option. I am pretty sure ipb 3 allows for this now. Visitor Messaging is a great way to have an individual discussion with another member and not have to PM back and forth. Visitor Messaging is also a huge thing to have when negotiating deals for a sim league or re-draft. I just like VM's b/c I don't like to go onto AIM or MSN anymore.

There you go, there's my suggestions. Nothing revolutionary but some stuff that I think most people enjoy, every forum should have, and will make Sportz Insomnia better.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Stick around longer and you will probably seem some debates, but usually they get out of hand around here (sometimes) IMO.

Gameday and comparisons sound like good ideas. I think we used to have the comparisons thing a while back. And we kinda have a gameday thread, I don't think we need a new 1 for every week.

There have also been re-drafts in the past. I know the 2003 draft was re-done. Things come and go around here. Someone has an idea, posts and it goes on for a while, then after a while it stops.

Reaction score
Something I've always done...just a few, tiny, small, minor..."tweaks"....suggestions.

My first question: Where the hell is the actual debating around here? Seems like everyone gets a long a little too well and agrees a little too much. No, not asking for e-wars, but I think Sportz Insomnia lacks the attitude in the discussion that gets people all fired up to want to join in. Why are there no Player Comparisons going on?

Add Player Comparisons subforum to each major sport. Most places have this and its forum gold. Another site I'm on, a kid posts: "Kenny Britt vs. Hakeem Nicks". Most agree that Britt hasn't shown as much as Nicks, its obvious, but even with such a dump player comparison...members jump all over this guy. 2 pages in a Britt vs. Nicks comparison thread and then it becomes 3 once another person chimes in with the opinion that Britt will be better. Wanna guess how many pages "Adrian Peterson vs. Chris Johnson" was??

Add Gameday Threads subforum. Mods set up the gameday threads each week and them archive them the week following. Nobody may be watching or talking about "Cardinals vs. Bills" (example) but who knows, we need to have it as an option. I see there's a lot of gameday talk in the General NFL or NBA discussion threads but it's unorganized and sometimes people are having 3 different convo's on 1 page.

^ You could make the argument that both of these could be posted in the general section of each sport's main forum however, I am a firm believer that having the designated subforums is what encourages the activity.

Re-Drafts anyone? I was hearing that only the NBA Sim League has stood the test of time here and that's about right. FBB is a great program and there's nothing like it available for the other 3 major sports. BUT...how about some re-drafts? Typically people love the draft aspect of a sim league but eventually leave and stop paying attention once the season rolls...unless they are winning. Re-drafts don't take as long, winners are decided via majority vote, and if your team sucks...hey, we pack it up and start over soon anyways.

Add Visitor Messaging option. I am pretty sure ipb 3 allows for this now. Visitor Messaging is a great way to have an individual discussion with another member and not have to PM back and forth. Visitor Messaging is also a huge thing to have when negotiating deals for a sim league or re-draft. I just like VM's b/c I don't like to go onto AIM or MSN anymore.

There you go, there's my suggestions. Nothing revolutionary but some stuff that I think most people enjoy, every forum should have, and will make Sportz Insomnia better.
We have some debates sometimes I piss a lot of people off debating lol.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We encourage you to post player comparisons in the designated sections.
I mean if we get enough of them over time, we could go ahead and make a section, but right now just put them in the sports general discussion. This site loves to debate so those threads would be pretty big.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%