Steriods and Gambling

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBaseball

Reaction score
One thing I just can't understand about Major League Baseball is why in hell do they ban players for gambling but they don't ban them for using performance enhancing drugs? I would take Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame over Barry Bonds any day of the week.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Barry Bonds was never convicted of steroid use. Nobody that has been convicted has been placed in the hall - and people who were SUSPECTED (Mark McGwire) haven't been put in yet despite their otherworldly numbers. Pete Rose has been "convicted" in a sense, and one of the big reasons he isn't in the hall is that he denied it for so many years before finally admitting it. Had he admitted it originally, and said he only bet on his team, perhaps he would be in by now.. But given that he denied it for over 10 years, and we STILL don't know the full story (which he changes every rare occasion he gets interviewed), there's no way he's going in the hall for a while.

He was an all time great (although overrated), and sadly he'll only go to the HoF after he dies or after he is diagnosed with some terminal illness. It's a shame, but that's my opinion and one of many others.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pete has the HOF numbers though...he deserves a spot in the Hall

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've always said Pete should get in the Hall of Fame, but so should guys like McGwire and Bonds...it'll happen someday

MrBaseball

Reaction score
I've always said Pete should get in the Hall of Fame, but so should guys like McGwire and Bonds...it'll happen someday
I would like one reason why Bonds and McGwire should get in the Hall of Fame when they cheated? And I don't wanna hear the crap about how Bonds and McGwire didn't cheat, the only people who believe that are the people who WANT to believe that.

MrBaseball

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there, here's Bond's and McgWire before and After roids. I don't know about you but I don't think this is normal...

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Pete Rose will be in the HOF eventually. As for steroid users Im not so sure about that.

MrBaseball

Reaction score
Pete Rose will be in the HOF eventually. As for steroid users Im not so sure about that.
Anyone who would elect a cheater into the Hall Of Fame is either an idiot or in denial.

But I know as a fact that Bond will be elected, and when he is, I'm going to do the same thing I have been doing since I heard about his steriod use. Pretend he never existed.

As far as I'm concerned Hank Aaron is still the All-Time king, and Marris still holds the single season record.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If steroids were a 'pressing issue' back then, Roger Maris would have been accused of using them. Same with Babe Ruth. If you're going to be so ludicrous to suggest that every single person used steroids, then cross those 2 off the list and then the HR kings are Hank Greenberg and Jimmie Foxx (why hasn't Ryan Howard been accused?)

Bud Selig is on steroids, too.

You can't go around blindly accusing some, and ignoring others. Don't accuse anyone with solid proof - which you can't possibly have anything more than the MLB has and they haven't gotten anyone that you accuse to have cheated.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there, Marks' muscle gain actually looks possible.

Bonds on the other hand, not so much.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's called listing weights and eating right. That could happen EASILY over 2 or 3 years. Trust me, I see guys come in all the time that are bigger than them and they don't use.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Exactly; however, Bonds head got, well, bigger...

That shouldn't happen.

Nevertheless, if they're convicted, not accused, I don't see why not let them in. I'm a huge Roger Clemons fan and I must say I'd be enraged if he didn't make it to the HoF.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yupp. Agreed. Until there is proof, it's all speculation. You can even say that steroids saved baseball. If Sosa and McGuire were really on roids then without them that big showing in '97 wouldn't have happened. (Which in my opinion saved baseball as it was going way downhill)

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Im not going to give a free pass to people who cheat. You completely undermine what others have done in the sport. Barry Bonds has tons of proof that he used steroids. As for the others, if you did it just say you did. And if you didnt then just say you didnt, unlike Mcgwire who basically plead the 5th. Yea, thats really the right way for people to believe Big Mac..... Cheating doesnt deserve all the acclaim and record books. I dont need inflated HR numbers and out of this world hitting to watch baseball, Im going to watch baseball either way.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Im not going to give a free pass to people who cheat. You completely undermine what others have done in the sport. Barry Bonds has tons of proof that he used steroids. As for the others, if you did it just say you did. And if you didnt then just say you didnt, unlike Mcgwire who basically plead the 5th. Yea, thats really the right way for people to believe Big Mac..... Cheating doesnt deserve all the acclaim and record books. I dont need inflated HR numbers and out of this world hitting to watch baseball, Im going to watch baseball either way.
We said Bonds does have, obvious, proof. And if McGuire did, pleading the fifth amendment is the absolute smartest thing he could have done, bar-none.

I loved Big-Mac, and the race for 70-home run's back in 97 did help bring a large amount of publicity and attention to Baseball. Nevertheless, if, and only if, he is tried and convicted should he be stricken from the record-book and barred from the HoF. Until then, what can we do other than speculate? Most of us don't need that to watch Baseball; however, you must admit that as a young kid it did/would help draw you to the sport.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
We said Bonds does have, obvious, proof. And if McGuire did, pleading the fifth amendment is the absolute smartest thing he could have done, bar-none.

I loved Big-Mac, and the race for 70-home run's back in 97 did help bring a large amount of publicity and attention to Baseball. Nevertheless, if, and only if, he is tried and convicted should he be stricken from the record-book and barred from the HoF. Until then, what can we do other than speculate? Most of us don't need that to watch Baseball; however, you must admit that as a young kid it did/would help draw you to the sport.
I actually think its the dumbest thing you could do. If you didnt do it then say that you didnt and yell it from every mountain top. By saying that you dont want to talk about the past it gives one a perception that you have something to hide. Yes, Big Mac had a HUGE impact in the sport of baseball and it helped but it was just the wrong way to go about it. Even if you did steroids, tell us you did them and the public will forgive you (for example Andy Pettite). To hide it is just awful and it shows how little accountability and responsibility you have for your actions. So you'll cheat the game of baseball and reap all of its benefits, but you wont man up and tell the truth? Give me a break......

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
I actually think its the dumbest thing you could do. If you didnt do it then say that you didnt and yell it from every mountain top. By saying that you dont want to talk about the past it gives one a perception that you have something to hide. Yes, Big Mac had a HUGE impact in the sport of baseball and it helped but it was just the wrong way to go about it. Even if you did steroids, tell us you did them and the public will forgive you (for example Andy Pettite). To hide it is just awful and it shows how little accountability and responsibility you have for your actions. So you'll cheat the game of baseball and reap all of its benefits, but you wont man up and tell the truth? Give me a break......
It's not the dumbest, look at the constant struggle Roger is going through; no way in hell would I want to go through that <Censored>. Just say you don't have an answer or you don't want to talk about it and <Censored>ing ignore it.

Clemons basically did that and still, no-one believes him and I'm sure that must be the most aggravating <Censored> you could ever imagine.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
It's not the dumbest, look at the constant struggle Roger is going through; no way in hell would I want to go through that <Censored>. Just say you don't have an answer or you don't want to talk about it and <Censored>ing ignore it.

Clemons basically did that and still, no-one believes him and I'm sure that must be the most aggravating <Censored> you could ever imagine.
Theres a BIG difference between Clemens and Mcgwire. 2 people testified against him that he took steroids, Andy Pettite and Jeff Mcnamee. Thats what separates them, Mcgwire doesnt have anyone that is going out there and saying that they saw Mcgwire take them. A perfect example is Jason Giambi, he said he was sorry although he clearly didnt state for what. And no one is riding his ass that he took steroids because he came out and apologized and admitted in a way to what he did.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Then why say anything if no-one is battling you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%