Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Clayton Kershaw

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other (please list in thread)

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
If you were starting a MLB Franchise and had the #1 overall pick who would you pick, and why?

Options:

1. Mike Trout
2. Bryce Harper
3. Clayton Kershaw
4. Other (please list in thread)

Nonsense

Reaction score
Any of those are stellar options, was having this conversation the other day, and I think Arenado is making a case to be on this list too.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Nonsense said:
Any of those are stellar options, was having this conversation the other day, and I think Arenado is making a case to be on this list too.

If I was starting a franchise in Colorado then yes. 

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
I would probably go with Clayton Kershaw over Trout or Harper. I think having an ace is more important than an offensive player. 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
There are a lot of great pitchers, veteran and young. I wouldn't grab a pitcher with the first pick. Maybe 2nd or 3rd round but not first. I need to focus on acquiring that guy who is going to give me production 140+ days a year, whether it's at the plate or in the field. 

Plus Kershaw is 28 whereas Trout is 24 and Harper is 23. 

Stray32

Reaction score
really close for me between the two outfielders but went Trout

GMF1991 said:
There are a lot of great pitchers, veteran and young. I wouldn't grab a pitcher with the first pick. Maybe 2nd or 3rd round but not first. I need to focus on acquiring that guy who is going to give me production 140+ days a year, whether it's at the plate or in the field. 

yeah I agree with this 100%. Really close for me between the two outfielders but went Trout

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:

My goal in building a team would be to win the world series. Pitching is the most important thing that matters in the playoffs, so give me Kershaw who is by far the best SP in baseball and who will most likely give you the best chance to win.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
But like I said, you can get quality pitchers later in a draft like that. 

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball, with some debating, Trout and Harper are two of the best bats in the game today. With that said even though pitching wins championships, I'd go Trout or Harper over him any day and with my love of lefties I'll go with Harper.

I love the way he plays the game, his stick is amazing, and he had a cannon for an arm.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
It's a toss up between Harper and Trout for me. Looking at contracts, I take Trout since Harper has his arbitration years and then is a free agent. Trout is locked in.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Clayton Kershaw.  You need that #1 pitcher.

You can make good offense but you can't make good pitching.

RunSoHard

Reaction score
Give me Bryce Harper. I'll take the Superstar output and the bad boy image. Harper is a great marketing tool.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
id probably go with harper just because pitching would be there in the later rounds.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Bryce Harper and its not even close.

Lot of love for Trout and Kershaw but both are a tad older and Kershaw is on the field every 5th day. Harper is what, 22 years old, and already a polarizing sports figure. Harper may retire as the greatest player to ever play the game. 

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Manny Machado for me. Hes only 23 years old, plays stellar defense at 2 positions which makes his value even higher due to position flexibility, hits for power out of the SS position, hes having a better season than the other candidates, and he is a leader in the clubhouse and just goes about his business.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Frontpage Stardom said:
Manny Machado for me. Hes only 23 years old, plays stellar defense at 2 positions which makes his value even higher due to position flexibility, hits for power out of the SS position, hes having a better season than the other candidates, and he is a leader in the clubhouse and just goes about his business.
C'mon FPS, you cannot be serious. I get the x's and o's part of what you're saying but starting a franchise goes beyond the field. You need to market, sell tickets, attract sponsors, etc. No way in hell is Machado more marketable than Harper or Trout.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
AE. said:
C'mon FPS, you cannot be serious. I get the x's and o's part of what you're saying but starting a franchise goes beyond the field. You need to market, sell tickets, attract sponsors, etc. No way in hell is Machado more marketable than Harper or Trout.
I didnt want to have a generic answer like the others in the comments, lol. I just wanted to offer a different option.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Frontpage Stardom said:
I didnt want to have a generic answer like the others in the comments, lol. I just wanted to offer a different option.
I can appreciate that. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%