Source: Jose Bautista near extension

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2011/news/story?id=6129630
JUPITER, Fla. -- The Toronto Blue Jays and third baseman Jose Bautista are close to agreeing to a five-year contract extension worth close to $65 million, a source told ESPNdeportes.com.
The agreement, which would include financial support for Bautista's charitable activities in Toronto and the Dominican Republic, is missing some details including the player passing a physical. If an agreement is reached, the Canadian franchise would avoid salary arbitration with the 2010 major league home run leader. Bautista, 30, requested a salary of $10.5 million for 2011, while the club offered $7.6 million. He would be eligible for free agency after next season if a multiyear deal isn't reached. Bautista has a .244 career batting average with five teams in his seven-year MLB career but is coming off a dream season in which he led the majors with 54 homers and was selected to his first All-Star team. In his third year with Blue Jays, Bautista hit .260 with 124 RBIs and 109 runs scored. He was fourth in AL MVP voting and was the recipient of the Hank Aaron Award, awarded to the most complete batter in each league.
AA is taking a big risk here. I'm really iffy on the deal tbh.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Not a fan of anything that involves paying Bautista a lot of money, really wouldn't be surprised if he didn't hit 30 homers next year

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of this either. The length, and the money is just very risky. If he had more years like last year, of course, but that's not the case. He had an outburst year, that'll be hard to follow up.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I heard that there could be some conditioning on the contract where he has to perform to a certain amount of statistics to add to his contract but either way, I think the risk should be taken. I believe Bautista is a different player now, and with a down year in home runs, he really showed that he could hit it. He can play multiple positions as well and can really help the guys around the clubhouse.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
It's a risk, but my prediction is he is a consistent thirty homerun hitter.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's not going to hit 54 again but I don't see how he can't hit 30 pretty consistently. I was watching something during the season last year that was evaluating his batting approach (last year vs years prior) and you could see the difference and how he was hitting for more power.

That said, this is still a pretty big risk for someone who's only good season was last year.

H-MYK

Reaction score
This move if a bit iffy. He's had a really good season, but is he worth that money? I'm just not that sure if it's a good idea. Don't get me wrong, it's good that they resigned him, but that long and with that money?

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Guy has 1 good year and the Blue Jays give him a 5 year contract. No wonder they fucking cant win the AL East and give out enormous contracts that arent financially sound....

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
i would laugh if he hits sub-20 HR, which i can easily see happening

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Guy has 1 good year and the Blue Jays give him a 5 year contract. No wonder they fucking cant win the AL East and give out enormous contracts that arent financially sound....
You obviously don't understand what situation the Jays were in with the re-signing. Yes it's a risk, but it's the risk we have to take. What happens if this guy has another good year and decides to leave for more money? This could be a steal if it works out. You obviously didn't see Jose Bautista play at all last year either.

KrW

Reaction score
Bautista has taken a leadership role in the dressing room and we're pretty much giving them the money that would be given to Wells

I don't see it being a bad signing

There's always going to be risk with every signing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%