Source: Cubs Negotiating Trout Trade

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The notion the Angels must trade Mike Trout now and look to the future seems insane to some but is picking up steam.  Today we have a rumor circulating that net that the Cubs have made the Angels a blockbuster deal they may not be able to refuse:

“A source close to the situation tells us the Angels and Chicago Cubs are in early discussions to make a blockbuster trade for superstar outfielder Mike Trout. The 24-year-old outfielder is owed $15.25 million this year, $19.25 million next year and $33.25 million each of the following three years. The deal would be Mike Trout for 5 of the Chicago Cubs top prospects.”  

MLB Daily Dish:

The deal: Javier Baez, Jorge Soler, Kyle Schwarber, Gleyber Torres, Duane Underwood, Billy McKinney, and Dan Vogelbach
The rationale: This deal could actually do it and the Cubs wouldn’t even feel the loss other than in depth and in the farm. They’d be acquiring a 10-win player that would push Dexter Fowler into a corner outfield spot for bench players and a fraction of their farm which includes three top-100 prospects.

Angels GM Billy Eppler has publicly rejected any idea that he would trade Mike Trout. I'm reminded of the mega-deal Texas gave A-Rod back when. A-Rod was arguably more of a superstar then than Trout is now and they finally came to Jesus. It doesn't matter how good your one start player is if the rest of your roster and your Farm is complete shit.

Sell Trout high... or wait... keep losing... and he leaves via FA for a winner later.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
2nd one isn't an offer, just speculation. As for the first, I'd like to see this from a serious source - not sure I trust Terez Owens.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I don't know much about those last three guys, but this seems to be pretty bad for the Angels. Schwarber is great, but he already couldn't play any position in the field, and now he fucked up his knee. Baez seems to have turned it around after that disastrous rookie year, but I don't view him as premier player in the making. Soler has shown flashes of greatness, but there are still major question marks. 

Makes sense for the Cubs though to try to trade off some of their extreme depth for a superstar 

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'll completely buy into the Angels having to at least consider a Trout offer and yes, it would take a King's ransom. The Cubs have plenty of resources to offer up such a deal but that package being rumored isn't even close. The Cubs would have to part with at least two younger players in their current lineup, which is something they wouldn't do. They've won too many games with what they have to make such a dramatic change. What Theo needs to be doing is preparing to severely overpay Arrieta this offseason.

Raindelay

Has 2 Phones
Reaction score
Angels win that "deal" above.

Lose one amazing player for seven potentially great players? Where do I sign?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Cubs steal the best player in baseball

Traditional trade logic goes out the window when you contemplating moving one of the two best players in the entire league.

As good as this Cubs offer is -- you KNOW you will get better deals than that if you just wait. You can wait a day, or a month. Better deals will come, even if this satisfies what would seem fair

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I don't like this for the Angels. Trade a guarantee (which happens to be the best player in baseball) for a bunch of question marks. 

I'd imagine that if this does actually happen, some other teams will join the pursuit and really drive the price up (Dodgers and Bosox)

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Im not buying this at all

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mexi said:
Im not buying this at all

Of course it's all speculation but my goal is for this thread to springboard the, to trade Trout or not trade Trout, discussion. The Angels are a really bad baseball team and I don't see where it gets any better. Like, they're so bad that Andrelton Simmons was hitting 6th before injury bad. Pujols is only halfway through his mega-deal, their top two pitchers are on the shelf, and none of their prospects are panning out. Something will have to give and the Halos' only valuable trade piece is Trout.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Trout won't be traded.

But... if Trout is traded to the Cubs, the Cubs will destroy everyone.  If I'm the Pirates or Cardinals, I'd do everything in my control to make sure the Cubs don't get Trout.

That being said, Trout isn't going anywhere.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Of course it's all speculation but my goal is for this thread to springboard the, to trade Trout or not trade Trout, discussion. The Angels are a really bad baseball team and I don't see where it gets any better. Like, they're so bad that Andrelton Simmons was hitting 6th before injury bad. Pujols is only halfway through his mega-deal, their top two pitchers are on the shelf, and none of their prospects are panning out. Something will have to give and the Halos' only valuable trade piece is Trout.
if they can get a kings ransom, they should

dodgers could give them a killer package

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mexi said:
if they can get a kings ransom, they should

dodgers could give them a killer package

OMG, they Halos would never live that down. Artie would refuse to trade Trout to the Dodgers out of spite. 

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thats an understatement haha

Unless the dodgers took pujols

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%