SI Olympics v 2 or SI Debate League Return?

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Eherm...

Good afternoon. I was having a discussion not too long ago with my esteemed colleague Parrish in the SI Community Thread, and he brought up the idea of bringing back the SI Debate League. Upon reading that, I was reminded of a time when SI Flourished with great ideas such as the SI Debate League and the SI Olympics. Both had potential, and in some areas each flourished and in other areas they both disappointed a little bit.

However, with the recent state of affairs on this great sports forum and the seemingly endless clash between the newer members and the SI Veterans, I thought maybe this would be a good way to liven things up. Bringing back a Debate league or the Olympics would spark things, especially as we are around the time of the annual Board Awards.

I can just picture a debate competition of two teams: The SI Veterans & the SI Futures -- a battle for a chance to prove who is more knowledgeable.

Now personally, I have no interest as of right now in running either of these ideas. I'm more of a competitor than a leader, as most of you know -- and of course I spend most of my free time drinking so that would be a disaster if I had to utilize my drunken free time to run a competition.

I think this would be a pretty radical idea to bring back, especially before people go away on vacation for Spring Break. There's also other ideas I've noticed from other sites in recent years that didn't transpire, and one was an Around the Horn tournament -- basically people sign up, and they are seeded at random and placed into 4-person battles. A series of questions is given to them (probably through AIM conversation or something) and they debate topics, a "moderator" would award and deduct points, and the top-2 from each battle would move on to the next round to face the top-2 from another battle.

Just a few ideas -- feel free to add any ideas here, as well as provide some insight on the ideas already presented here.

Well, thats it for me. I'm off the to the bar. Vicks cough medicine and Spaten -- lethal but phenomenal combination.

--GMF1991

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Always sounds like a great idea. But none have ever worked out, that's the problem.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
For this to work, we'd need to get people who would actually be 100% positive they'd be up for it. If we can do that, we can make this thing work out. I would love to have either Olympics or Debate League running in SI again. It would be an awesome thing for the site if everyone involved was dedicated to this site and the competition(s).

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The problem is actually getting active people lol.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
True. I've had my run-in with inactivity, but I've been working at getting back into the SI mode as of late. We can't even announce a return of either of these unless we know the people are committed, cause if it was announced, a bunch of random people would sign up and then walk out. Active People would have to join before it even gets announced.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
the Olympics worked out fairly well -- there were a few people who were inacitve, but I think there were like 6 people per team and I think like 7 or 8 people in total were active the entire time.

And that was two years ago. I'd like to believe we got some more dedicated members who would partake in this.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
Your post are decieving lmao. Since my return to SI, I've been posting as much as your average says you are, but I have to make up ground for 2 years, so my average is ugly haha.

Brutalis

"Take heart, or I will take it from you." - BN
Reaction score
Someone wanna run down what the Olympics thing is about?

The debate thing is old to me. Played that out in other forums in the past, usually turns to fights.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
There's a full description like 1-3 pages back in the community thread.

Reaction score
Someone wanna run down what the Olympics thing is about?

The debate thing is old to me. Played that out in other forums in the past, usually turns to fights.
I'm fine debating. If I'm doing another fucking Brady Manning debate, then I am fucking bouncing. Shit gets REALLY old after a while.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
http://www.sportzin.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16170&st=221640
ta-da. #221655 for post lmao

Brutalis

Reaction score
http://www.sportzin.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16170&st=221640
ta-da. #221655 for post lmao
Oh oh. Seems more interesting than simple debates. However I don't do graphics.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
You don't have to do everything. Usain Bolt doesn't play basketball at the olympics lmao. Michael Jordan doesn't shotput. You get what I'm saying? Certain people will get certain task.

Brutalis

Reaction score
You don't have to do everything. Usain Bolt doesn't play basketball at the olympics lmao. Michael Jordan doesn't shotput. You get what I'm saying? Certain people will get certain task.
Oh oh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%