Should the Clippers blow it up?

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
Much has been made this past offseason about how well the Clippers played without their "building block" in Blake Griffin. While CP3 has been running the show, much of the franchise has been on the Blake bandwagon over the years, capitalizing on his in-game improvements and marketability. With Griffin out this year, LAC seemed to play at a much higher level and had a better flow to their game, with players like JJ Redick stepping up and spacing the floor. 

Many think that this type of offense is exactly what the Clippers need, and that with Blake's shot not quite extending out to the 3pt line, it's easy to bog down the offense, among other things. CP3 isn't getting any younger, and it seems like the Clippers are stuck perpetually going nowhere in the West with their recent regular season success not translating to postseason success and being stagnant with taking the next step. Blake is under contract through this next season, and has a player option for 17-18. Should the Clippers blow it up? Should they shop Griffin for more rotational pieces + future picks? Should they keep it constant and hope that Blake can either improve on his range and lead a team in the playoffs?

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Absolutely not. They need to build their bench with one or two better backup bigs. If healthy they are very dangerous. Build the bench and rest starters more.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I wouldnt blow it up, I would end the nepotism by getting an actual backup point guard that averages more than an assist per game. I would not resign Jeff Green, he is inconsistent and a poor 3pt shooter. I would try to sign Batum or Bazemore because I feel like they are missing that athletic sf who can guard Durant, Kawhi, and Draymond. At the same time providing good spacing for Blake for 3's. But I dont think they can make it work with their cap situation, but maybe with the cap increase?

cavsfan817

Reaction score
I think their best move is to retool and trade Griffin. I don't ever see him as a consistent 3pt shooting forward that can space the floor and as long as they are committed to Jordan in the middle, that'll be what they need. They looked so much better this year when they had floor spacing and shooters around Chris Paul. I would try to trade Blake for a high lotto + role guys to strengthen their current bench, and get a guy to develop. Helps in two senses:

1. Allow the offense to be more natural in the current year
2. Allows the Clippers to get a great building block for the future, whether this is someone like a Brandon Ingram type of guy, Kris Dunn, or Bender.

Stray32

Reaction score
Imo they can possibly win a championship (not be the favorite, but possibly win) with CP3-Blake-DeAndre-Redick but they need a much, much better bench so no I would definitely not break it up, I don't think you'd get someone who's a better win-now fit than Blake

And definitely wouldn't trade him for a rebuild package, CP3 isn't getting any younger

Paulius

Reaction score
They couldnt win when they had a good bench, they will never win. Clippers cursed forever

cavsfan817

Reaction score
Stray32 said:
Imo they can possibly win a championship (not be the favorite, but possibly win) with CP3-Blake-DeAndre-Redick but they need a much, much better bench so no I would definitely not break it up, I don't think you'd get someone who's a better win-now fit than Blake

And definitely wouldn't trade him for a rebuild package, CP3 isn't getting any younger

This is what I alluded to when I said they should try to trade Blake for a good package of role guys + a possible lotto pick in a strong draft

Stray32

Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:

This is what I alluded to when I said they should try to trade Blake for a good package of role guys + a possible lotto pick in a strong draft
and I was saying they shouldn't, they need more than role players and youth, that was the point of me saying CP3 isn't getting any younger. imo they'd be better off keeping their core and trying to build the bench other ways

cavsfan817

Reaction score
Stray32 said:
and I was saying they shouldn't, they need more than role players and youth, that was the point of me saying CP3 isn't getting any younger. imo they'd be better off keeping their core and trying to build the bench other ways

I'm not sure they'll be able to... Yes they play in LA but they aren't really a hot spot. They're still the less marketable LA team and they aren't really 1 or 2 pieces away in my opinion. 

Stray32

Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:

I'm not sure they'll be able to... Yes they play in LA but they aren't really a hot spot. They're still the less marketable LA team and they aren't really 1 or 2 pieces away in my opinion. 
we're talking about bringing in backups not stars

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
With Chris being 31 they're probably to far down the road to blow it up. They probably wouldn't look at trading Blake unless they were getting a player of equal or greater value, and who is out there? They will probably retool, bring in a SF and add more depth, win 50+ games, and be an early playoff out.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
except outside of blake and cp3, what trade chips do they have? tough spot to be in.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Austin Rivers?

seriously, they have no assets at all

cavsfan817

Reaction score
Stray32 said:
we're talking about bringing in backups not stars

Yeah but we can use the David West situation in this case. He went to the Spurs because he knew he had a great shot at winning and was under one of the best NBA coaches in history. Nobody's flocking to LAC because they think they can win... I just personally don't see them attracting anyone that can seriously improve their shot at a title, but that's just me.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
this team is stuck in limbo and better hold onto whatever picks they have.

Stray32

Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:

Yeah but we can use the David West situation in this case. He went to the Spurs because he knew he had a great shot at winning and was under one of the best NBA coaches in history. Nobody's flocking to LAC because they think they can win... I just personally don't see them attracting anyone that can seriously improve their shot at a title, but that's just me.
David West is the exception not the rule, Clippers won't have trouble attracting backups it's just a matter of if they pick the right ones to go after

Paulius

Reaction score
Stray32 said:
David West is the example not the rule, Clippers won't have trouble attracting backups it's just a matter of if they pick the right ones to go after
They wont pick the right ones. Doc doesnt know what hes doing. He traded away bledsoe for nothing, and all he does is select players that either has played for him before or has had good games against him. Theres an article ive read months ago where it lists like 15 players that have gone thru the clippers the past 5 years and each player has some sort of relation to doc in the past. He doesnt build correctly and is also an overrated coach but thats for another day

BNC

Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:

I don't think location really matters, LMA signed in San Antonio and Greg Monroe went to Detroit. Lots of players want to win now and being in LA is still being in LA

Paulius

Reaction score
BNC said:
I don't think location really matters, LMA signed in San Antonio and Greg Monroe went to Detroit. Lots of players want to win now and being in LA is still being in LA
Lma went to a franchise that has won 5 trophys in the last 20 years. Terrible comparrison considering clippers havent made WCF in 43 years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%