Senators’ Karlsson needs surgery, out indefinitely

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Brutal news from the Ottawa Senators:​
Erik Karlsson
‘s injury will require surgery and that could mean the end of the reigning Norris Trophy winner’s 2013 season.​
The official word is that he’s out indefinitely. The injury is described as a lacerated Achilles tendon in his left leg.​
Karlsson was injured after a collision with Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke. You can watch video of that bit of bad luck in this post.​
Here’s a stunning capture of the injury, via the Associated Press:​
Yikes.​
However you feel about Cooke’s intentions, Ottawa was clearly upset with the incident. Chris Neilreceived a double-minor for roughing Cooke in the third period, leading to dual ejections.​
This represents the most significant injury the Senators have faced this season, but far from the only one.​
Jason Spezza
is also sidelined indefinitely thanks to back surgery while​
Milan Michalek
,​
Guillaume Latendresse
,​
Peter Regin
and​
Jared Cowen
are also on the sidelines with issues of varying severity.​

Mooche

Reaction score
Damn that injury sucked.

Same thing happened to Teemu during his time with the Jets, and I know that was a tough recovery. Best wishes to Erik.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I actually read an article where Teemu offered his condolences to him and said he had the chance to come back as good as ever.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
On Thursday
, Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray chose to be pretty diplomatic in his assessment of Pittsburgh Penguins forward​
Matt Cooke
after the NHL determined that his role in star defenseman​
Erik Karlsson
‘s season-ending injury​
wasn’t a punishable offense.
“They suggested it was a hockey play gone bad,” Murray said. “I suggested Cooke has somewhat of a history.”​
His boss, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk wasn’t in the mood to pull his punches.​
“I’m very upset, actually I’m more than upset, I’m outraged that in this day and age this continues,” said Melnyk, according to the Ottawa Sun.​
He recognized that it’s the NHL’s job to judge whether or not the incident was accident, but Melnyk doesn’t think Cooke should have been allowed to play on Wednesday — or any day — in the first place.​
For years Melnyk has wanted lifetime bans to be issued to repeat offended and clearly he thinks that Cooke, who has been suspended five times, qualifies.​
“This guy should be kicked … He doesn’t belong in the league. He belongs somewhere where the goons play,” said Melnyk. “Get him in the Central league. He can be a $60,000-a-year guy playing pick-up hockey there.​
“The guy does not deserve … He’s got one purpose.”​
For his part, Cooke said that his skate cutting Karlsson was unintentional.
“He and I were engaged. He went down screaming,” Cooke said. “I didn’t even know what happened.”​

H-MYK

Reaction score
I'm surprised that Cooke isn't going to be disciplined for that. I know it looked more like he didn't do it on purpose, but still.

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
That was a horrible injury...
Not intentional either, from the looks of it. Cooke does get attention too, but definitely wasn't intentional there. Sucks to see a player like Karlsson go down like that. He won't be the same, speed wise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%