Seahawks Sign Matt Flynn

RManske2

Reaction score
As posted on the board, it is being reported that the Seattle Seahawks have signed former Green Bay quarterback Matt Flynn to a 3-year deal worth $26 million ($10 million guaranteed). The question though is whether or not this signing was worth it from the Seahawks perspective as they continue to look for a quarterback.

As history shows, Flynn went to LSU where he was a starter for one year while a senior and his numbers were as follows: a 56.3 completion percentage, 2407 yards, and 21 touchdowns with 11 interceptions. Following his senior year, he was drafted in the seventh round by the Green Bay Packers where he has been since. His first two years were not noteworthy and in his third year he has two games that appear to be relevant:

1) In a game against the Detroit Lions he went 15 of 26 with 177 yards and one interception; and
2) The following week against the New England Patriots he went 24 of 37 with 251 yards along with 3 touchdowns and 1 interception (both games resulted in losses).

Following the 2010 season, Flynn entered this season as the backup to Captain Discount Double Check and turned in one huge game at the end of the season against the Detroit Lions where he went for 480 yards on 31 of 44 with 6 touchdowns and 1 interception.

In his four year career, Flynn has thrown for 1,015 yards with 9 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. The question is simple: is Flynn a quality starter or due to what could be looked at as a questionable quarterback market if teams are stretching to find an answer? On the one hand, Flynn might be an answer or on the other hand, he could just be the next Kevin Kolb.

The reason for this is because the Seahawks have already invested in Tavaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst and are now signing another quarterback (not to mention they have been rumored to be looking at drafting a quarterback in the draft).

RManske2

Reaction score
Kevin Kolb v2

Just a lot cheaper.
I tend to lean in that direction, but I am hope I am wrong being from the Pacific Northwest and would like to Seahawks to be good. One point I didn't make in the post is that in his professional starts Flynn put those numbers up with the Packers offense, which clearly the Seahawks do not have those weapons.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I was thinking about it a bit, and Matt Schaub came from a similar situation. Ryan Fitzpatrick as well, but he started a few games due to injury, so not entirely the same.

So there have been some successes. I actually hope Flynn does well because if he doesn't, it'll fuel the "Aaron Rodgers is overrated" nonsense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%