Schumaker Eyeing Return if Cards Make World Series

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
In removing Skip Schumaker from the NLCS roster because of an oblique injury the Cardinals initially expected him to miss the remainder of the playoffs, but now the utility man is hoping to be available if they reach the World Series.

“There’s been a lot of improvement from then to now,” Schumaker told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. “I wouldn’t have been as optimistic two days ago, or even yesterday, but if it continues to improve at this rate I think there’s a very good chance.”

Of course, Strauss notes that Schumaker “has yet to swing or throw since injuring himself” in Game 5 of the NLDS, so he’s far from a sure thing unless Tony La Russa decides to go the same route Jim Leyland did by playing a clearly still-injured Delmon Young.

In his absence the Cardinals started Ryan Theriot at second base in Game 1 and Nick Punto at second base in Game 2, with Jon Jay playing center field in both games.
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/11/skip-schumaker-hoping-to-be-available-if-cardinals-reach-world-series/

I think thats a difficult spot for LaRussa. Neither of them really stands out over the others, so he'd have to make that decision based on matchup and/or whose hitting well in the postseason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%