Sale of Astros and Move to AL Almost Done

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Astros owner Drayton McLane is expected to complete the sale of the team to Jim Crane in mid-November, according to Peter Gammons of MLB Network (on Twitter). The arrangement would move Houston to the American League West and even MLB into two leagues of 15 teams.

The sale of the Astros is intertwined with baseball's current round of collective bargaining. MLB is likely to add a Wild Card team by 2012 or 2013 and moving the Astros to the American League would likely accelerate expanded playoffs.

McLane recently said he expects the sale to be complete within three or four weeks. Last week, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes looked ahead to Houston's offseason.
Unless they do more interleague games throughout the season, I don't see how scheduling would work properly with an uneven # of teams in both leagues.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think they'd moved them over if they thought scheduling would be an issue.
I'm sure they have solutions.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
well thats why I said more interleague games. Like, a lot more. Otherwise I don't see how it would work, lol.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
More off days, more 2 game series.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
just means interleague year round

i really wish MLB would have moved the DBacks or Rockies and move the Astros to the NL West

all for an interstate rivalry in texas?
what the hell. why do they both have to be in the same league?
cubs and sox are fine. rays/marlins are fine. dodgers/angels (though the dodgers have the giants and pads)

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If they do do interleague year round, do you think that they would get rid of the DH or have DH in both leagues?

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If they do do interleague year round, do you think that they would get rid of the DH or have DH in both leagues?
not right away, but i think eventually there will be an NL DH

for next season though, there will always be 1 interleague series going on

swoosh

Reaction score
About time. Having one division with six teams and another with four wasn't very logical.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
just means interleague year round

i really wish MLB would have moved the DBacks or Rockies and move the Astros to the NL West

all for an interstate rivalry in texas?
what the hell. why do they both have to be in the same league?
cubs and sox are fine. rays/marlins are fine. dodgers/angels (though the dodgers have the giants and pads)
thats pretty much what i was hinting at. Which is odd because so many people seem to be against interleague play.

As for the teams to move, I think it has something to do with the Owner signing off on moving the team to a new division. And since the team is up for sale they see it is a leverage when the new owner seeks approval from MLB.

And I base that assumption off of absolutely nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%