Rubio may stay in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This probably has to do with not being able to pay his buy out. He said during his interview they were working on the buy out situation during the draft I believe. If he went to a low market he might not have been able to pay it so if he stays in Spain for a year or two the buy out would be less when he leaves after the 1-2 years and he would have more money to pay it off.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's the type of player to make his teammates not like him...he has this built up diva attitude and he hasn't proved <Censored>.

He said his mother doesn't like the cold weather of minnesota and some other bs.

Shadez

Reaction score
Wow! He is definitely a diva. You see that expensive ass suite he was wearing last night? And why was he the only guy infront of a laptop last night? Was he reading rumors on the draft during the draft? Dude is weak anyway.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Donnie Walsh on the prowl...

ESPN.Com said:
Knicks' interest heightens Rubio hype

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- The New York Knicks are curious whether Ricky Rubio will wind up in Minnesota or Spain next season, curious enough that team president Donnie Walsh was planning to contact Minnesota by the end of the day Friday to begin seeking answers.

Like everyone else around the NBA, the Knicks were taken by surprise Thursday night when the Timberwolves used the fifth and sixth picks of the NBA draft to select a pair of point guards, Rubio and Syracuse's Jonny Flynn.

The suspense deepened after Rubio's father told a Spanish media outlet that Rubio would prefer to return to Spain for at least one season, maybe two, and the Timberwolves found themselves Friday in the uncomfortable position of planning their introductory post-draft news conference without the player they sacrificed Mike Miller and Randy Foye to select.
news conference without the player they sacrificed Mike Miller and Randy Foye to select.

"There is such a thing as drafting assets. I don't know if that is what he's doing," Walsh said of new Timberwolves general manager David Kahn, who worked under Walsh for several years with the Indiana Pacers as Walsh's assistant GM.

Looking back on the events of the past few days, Walsh said Kahn had indicated to him -- an indication that Walsh initially dismissed -- that he might take two guards with the two picks. So Walsh said it was the biggest surprise of the night, in his opinion, when Minnesota took Flynn with the sixth pick -- giving the Knicks the assurance that they would get one of the two players remaining on the board that they coveted -- Jordan Hill or Stephen Curry.

"It was just a general conversation," Walsh said. "We didn't talk about players, but he said, 'I would take two little guys.' And I thought it was just a comment meaning, 'I'm not going to do this in a prototypical type of way, because I need players.' "

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This probably has to do with not being able to pay his buy out. He said during his interview they were working on the buy out situation during the draft I believe. If he went to a low market he might not have been able to pay it so if he stays in Spain for a year or two the buy out would be less when he leaves after the 1-2 years and he would have more money to pay it off.
exactly

everyone is getting on his case.
sure he's immature, but dude's 18!
he's two days older than me.

the buyout is the main reason i'm not killing him right now. i understand.
i wish more of these Euro's could just be cool like Pau though. He went to MEPMHIS and was fine. if you're good, you're good. shouldnt matter where you play.
but again, his situation is a little more complicated so i'm cooling it

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
After the NBA Draft Thursday, the New York Knicks still found themselves in search of a star point guard, according to the New York Times.

Rubio, a flashy 18-year-old Spanish guard, was unhappy when he was selected by the Minnesota Timberwolves. According to the Times, Rubio's father threatened to keep Ricky in Europe for another year or two. Rubio did not attend his own introductory news conference on Friday.

The Knicks responded with great interest according to the Times. Donnie Walsh, the team president, said Friday that he intended to call David Kahn, the Timberwolves' president. Walsh never directly said he would propose a trade, but his intent was clear.

"I would never say never to anything," Walsh said of pursuing Rubio. "We're in the off-season. We're going to be checking everything out, seeing how we can make our team better."

Walsh and Kahn are close, having worked together in the Indiana Pacers' front office for several years, with Walsh serving as a mentor. Like most draft observers, Walsh said he was curious about Kahn's decision to draft two point guards — Rubio and Syracuse's Jonny Flynn(notes) — with consecutive lottery picks.

Asked if it would merely be a discussion between two old friends, Walsh answered with light sarcasm: "Yeah, and the people that are in that relationship never talk about their wants and needs."

Source: New York Times
Lets get this done and get some excitement back in the Garden.

inudan

Reaction score
What a <Censored>...

You're about to play in the best Basketball league in the world, and you're complaining about the market?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What a <Censored>...

You're about to play in the best Basketball league in the world, and you're complaining about the market?
He's only 18, he's not as good as he will be, his family isn't poor...oh...and I'd rather live in Spain than Minnesota too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%