Rose vs Rondo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And for the record, a few more actual statistics to combat your made up ones.

Exactly 50% of Rondo's shot attempts are jumpshots. You said he takes 90% near the rim - where the actual stat is 50/50.

Sure, Rose takes more jump shots that is a given... But like mentioned earlier, Rondo hits his jumpers at a higher percentage (.46 to .44). That is not to say that Rondo is the better shooter by any means, but the fact that you go just off name recognition and preconceived notions rather than actual stats or watching the games bothers me a lot.

This year in "crunch time" (defined [size="-1"][size="-1"]as 4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, [/size][/size][size="-1"][size="-1"]neither team ahead by more than 5 points)... Rose is shooting 38.8%. Rondo, is shooting 50%. I am not saying Rondo is the better crunch time player, but once again just throwing out another stat for you. If Rose is this elite scorer and gamechanger at the PG position through his ability to put the ball in the basket, then I'd want him to be shooting higher than 39%. Going down more than 5% lower than your regular FG% is alarming. And just because you liked to include Westbrook, I'll add that in the same stat he is shooting 47.4%... HIGHER than his regular number. Westbrook is also putting up a full point more in that 5 minute span per game.
[/size][/size]

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I didn't mean to say that they were slouches, my point was more along the lines that they rely on Rose to be their #1 option whereas Rondo is at the polar opposite end of the spectrum.

ZigZag

TEH GREAT ZIGGY
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's impossible to say who's the better player. They have completely different games and are on completely different teams. Everyone arguing that their player is for sure better is being ignorant.

Rondo is a better defender and frankly I don't like it when my play caller is a scorer. I think Rondo has that pure PG instinct. The dude is the 24-year old leader of a couple hall of famers.

Rose takes 11 more shots a game than Rondo so of course he scores more, Rondo is busy creating for other people. Obviously he doesn't have a mid-range game but he knows not to take any dumb shots. You're really gonna complain about that? I'd like my PG to let my other stars do their thing so they never get lost in the mix.

chitownfan1

Members
Reaction score
But similarly rose has only one other "elite" player it's not like he can go dish it out to Pierce, KG, or Ray. Rose could easily put up 10+ assists per game on that team. And rose does get his teammates involved. He outs up 11 more shots and STILL gets almost 9 assists it's not like he ball hogs because he doesn't at all. When u watch the bulls he looks to get his teammates involved. The differnce between him and rondo is if Roses teammates aren't making shots Rose can TAKE OVER the game and will his team to victory. I have yet to see Rondo do that.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
But Rose couldn't do what Rondo does on the Celtics either. Basketball isn't just about how many points you score.

chitownfan1

Members
Reaction score
Rose could EASILY put up assist number near Rondo. If he didn't have to be a scoring threat he could put up 10+ assists with relative ease. Shot he does that now quite often for the Bulls.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What say you about the crunch time stats I posted above?

chitownfan1

Members
Reaction score
Rondo doesn't have to shoot in the clutch so he has less attempts. Thus his stats would be bloated if he had a good game or two shot wise. Rose IS the bulls crunch time. Everything goes through him and those numbers don't reflect his effectiveness. In the crunch he loves to drive and cause fouls. While he is a strong finisher he will take a missed layup to get to the line and stop the clock. It is what it is. But Rose is the player I would choose in the clutch especially with the new confidence he has in his jumper.

uwp

Reaction score
I addressed the FG% of Rose at .46 and Rondo at .52

Considering Rondo take 90% of his shots near the rim his FG% SHOULD be higher. His jump shot is terrible and he knows it that's why he hangs around the rim when he wants to score. This is further proven by the fact he only take 3 shots per game at 10-23 ft.

Also the eFG is also not necessarily a good way to compare Rose and Rondo. Rose HAS to shoot more...a lot more so he has more attempts to affect his eFG. Rose takes 7.5 shots per game in the 10-23ft range because he has to be a primary scorer. That's almost 5 shots more than Rondo.

Not to mention at 3's Derrick's eFG is 57.2 while Rondo's is only 47.

I can play the stats game to big guy and Rose is the better player no matter how you slice it. I'll take his P+A+R/G of 37.5 to Rondo's 29.5 every day. Because that accounts to either scoring, assisting, or getting a rebound to help the team 8 more times than Rondo every game.
Right, Rose is a scorer. So if he is a scorer, he should have a higher eFG than Rondo regardless of how many more shots he takes, no? If he can't make those shots, he shouldn't be qualified as the OP stated, an elite mid-range jump shooter. Also saying Rondo hangs around the rim to score is laughable. Rondo isn't a scorer, he's a distributor. I rarely see him hang around the rim. Anyways, Rondo has an eFG% of .615 in shooting in the paint. Rose has an eFG% of .608. But wait, those numbers are inflated because Rondo only hangs around the rim, right?

Obviously you would take Rose's PAR/G over Rondo's because Rose is the #1 option on a team, therefore his numbers are inflated. Honestly, you don't think that Rondo's numbers would be inflated if he were the #1 option on the team?

Looking into it much more closely, Rondo has a player rating for rebounding of 13.3 compared to Rose's 12.6. So whoever said Rose is a better rebounder, you're wrong. In the assists category, Rondo has a passer rating of 18.2. Rose has a passer rating of 11.0.

So looking at this very closely, Rondo beats Rose in steals, FG%, rebounding (player rating), assists, and defense.

Oh yay, Rose has a 24 PPG and .6 BPG. That's expected when you're the #1 option.

Don't know if you've seen but the Bulls are 20-10 they aren't slouches. Rondo wouldn't put up 24.5 if he was the bulls he'd be at MAYBE 15-16 but he does not have the ability to put up points like rose.
How would you know?

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Rose is an elite rebounder at his position (4.8), 2nd only behind Westbrook who is BARELY ahead of him 4.9rpg. Rondo at 4.6rpg.
Chris Paul averages the same RPG as Rose despite playing 3.2 less MPG.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
And can someone please go in and edit the first post. So f***ing biased.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rose has to work on the jumper
you guys are right, i love Rose, but his shooting is still bleh. his percentage sucks

that said, I'll take him over Rondo
he gets the rim better, and is a better FT shooter
Rondo is the superior playmaker and defender, but he's not overwhelmingly ahead of Rose in those fronts imo. Rose is a pretty underrated playmaker for others and isnt chopped liver on D

back to offense, I believe Rose is lightyears ahead of Rondo at scoring which counts for something.

so with my (flawed?) logic, Rose is the better scorer by lightyears, Rondo is the better passer and defender, but it's not as overwhelming as Rose v. Rondo offensively, so Rose >

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The fact that Rondo is better at everything but scoring makes me prefer him in most cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%