Returning Players

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
EUGENE, Ore. -- Heisman Trophy finalist LaMichael James is coming back to Oregon next season.

James, a sophomore running back and the nation's leading rusher this season, had repeatedly suggested he would forgo an early entry to the NFL draft. Thursday's announcement made it official.

"I came to the University of Oregon to get a quality education as well as to play football, and feel I have yet to complete that goal," he said in a statement.

James has thrived in Oregon's speedy spread-option offense. He has run for 1,682 yards this season, averaging 153 a game. He's also averaging a national-best 12 points a game. His 22 touchdowns (21 on the ground plus one touchdown reception) are a school record.

His play has helped carry the No. 2 Ducks to the national championship game, where they will play No. 1 Auburn in Glendale, Ariz., on Jan. 10.

Compared at times to former Heisman winner and NFL great Barry Sanders, James ranks second at Oregon with 3,228 career rushing yards and 36 touchdowns.

The 5-foot-9 back made a splash last season as a redshirt freshman after senior running back LeGarrette Blount was suspended for punching a Boise State player in the season opener. He ran for a Pac-10 freshman-record 1,546 yards and was honored as the league's freshman of the year.

His reputation was tainted this spring when he was accused of assaulting an ex-girlfriend and pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor harassment charge. James apologized to the woman and was suspended for the season opener against New Mexico by coach Chip Kelly.

James was third in Heisman vote behind two quarterbacks -- winner Cam Newton of Auburn and Andrew Luck of Stanford.

But James has said the only individual honor he'd like is Academic All-American. He didn't make that list this season, but he was on the Pac-10's All-Academic first team. James, a sociology major, has a 3.01 grade-point average.

Just before the regular-season finale against Oregon State, James said he still had time to win national academic recognition. He also said he planned to run on the track team in the spring.

"My career at Oregon is not done," he said.

NEW ORLEANS -- Ohio State players facing five-game suspensions next season would not have traveled with the team to the Allstate Sugar Bowl if they had not pledged to return in 2011, coach Jim Tressel said on Thursday.

The five players, including quarterback Terrelle Pryor, have been punished by the NCAA for selling championship rings and memorabilia and taking discounts from a tattoo parlor.

Will the five Ohio State players who say they'll return in 2011 actually take the field? ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg notes that a lot of things change once draft evaluations begin.

Tressel said he wanted to make sure that the players wouldn't "skirt the consequences" by playing in the Sugar Bowl, then declaring for the NFL draft and avoiding any punishment.

"We told them they would have to make the decision on the NFL prior to leaving for the bowl game," Tressel said at his first Sugar Bowl news conference. "It wouldn't be fair to not face the consequences down the road."

Tressel says their playing time against the Razorbacks will hinge only on how they practice and fit into the game plan.

The other players are tailback Dan Herron, offensive tackle Mike Adams, receiver DeVier Posey and defensive end Solomon Thomas.

Tressel said he had instructed the players not to speak about the NCAA "issue" during Sugar Bowl week because of their pending appeal of the sanctions.

Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino said he was pleased that the NCAA and Ohio State found a way to allow the players in question to compete in the Sugar Bowl.

"We want them to be eligible for the game," Petrino said. "We get to a bowl game of this magnitude, you want to play against their best players. So I think we're fortunate that they're eligible to play."

The players all sold items to or traded autographs for tattoos with the owner of a Columbus tattoo parlor.

The NCAA does not permit athletes to get deals or freebies because they are athletes.

Four sold their 2008 Big Ten championship rings for $1,000 to $1,200 apiece; Herron sold his football jersey, pants and shoes for $1,000; and Solomon and Pryor each sold his "gold pants" trinket -- given to Buckeyes players if they beat Michigan -- for several hundred dollars. Pryor also sold a 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award.

Tressel said he was disappointed not only because his players broke the rules, but also because they sold what he thought of as important keepsakes from their football careers.

"A number of people reached out as we've been dealing with this thing maybe to calm my thinking or whatever, and one thing said was, 'Keep in mind, Coach, you're dealing with a different generation. Back when you were growing up one guy got a trophy, maybe, and now you're dealing with a generation that if you were on the team and you were 7 years old, everyone got a trophy. Maybe this generation doesn't understand the value of awards like we did,' " Tressel said.

Tressel said he understood that argument, but was not sure that helped him justify what his players did.

The coach added that he hoped the players gained a greater appreciation for the significance of the items they sold after they visited the home of former Buckeyes star Archie Griffin, who had the players over to his home.

Griffin, the only player to win two Heisman trophies, is CEO of the Ohio State alumni association.

Tressel said Griffin told him, "The kids might get a different perspective when they look at my basement and see how important some of those things are to me."

Tressel called the experience "a valuable lesson" for the players.

"I've said many times: In adversity, lives are changed," Tressel said.
LaMichael James and Pryor are saying they are staying.

Post other articles of guys staying here.

Mooche

Reaction score
I just wanted to say that is a nice move by LaMichael James, and it shows a ton of balls and respect to the program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%