Reports: OSU players traded for tattoos

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State is investigating allegations that several football players traded autographs for tattoos, according to multiple reports.

WBNS-TV and The Columbus Dispatch, both citing unidentified sources, reported on their websites Wednesday night that the school was looking into the possible NCAA violations just two weeks before the Buckeyes face Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 4.

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor, not mentioned in either report, quickly responded on Twitter.

"I paid for my tattoos. GoBucks" he posted.

The Associated Press left telephone, text and e-mail messages seeking comment from coach Jim Tressel, athletic director Gene Smith, the school's compliance director and other university officials.

Asked by the AP to respond to the allegations, Ohio State associate athletic director Dan Wallenberg said in an e-mail, "No information to share."

Team spokeswoman Shelly Poe said after Tuesday's practice that each player was eligible for the bowl. She said she was unaware of any NCAA investigation.

The Buckeyes have several days off before reporting back to campus on Sunday night. They practice Monday and Tuesday before flying to New Orleans for the BCS bowl game on Dec. 29.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Dorado

LiveLoveA$AP
Reaction score
whats wrong with trading an autograph for a tattoo?
they cant receive nothing for free that involves what they got a scholarship for

its stupid that the NCAA is actually enforcing this for some ink lol

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
they cant receive nothing for free that involves what they got a scholarship for

its stupid that the NCAA is actually enforcing this for some ink lol
gay. they should have given the dude 10 bucks and an autograph to make it legit.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We're gonna be put on 10 years probation and lose 20 scholarships for this harsh act.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I doubt that. Ohio State seems to be the golden child to the media. I bet nothing more comes of this other then a slap on the wrist.

That being said, AJ Green got suspended for (i believe) four games for selling his jersey...and this kind of falls under that category

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Explain to me how OSU is the "golden child"? We constantly get ripped for BCS failures we had 3 years ago.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't know...Ohio State has always seemed to be a media darling to me...with ESPN and Herbstreit anyway.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Herbstreit is rarely towards Ohio State, he actually tries to hard to be unbiased some times. Mark May on ESPN rips OSU at any chance. Lou Holtz is always picking us but that's because he was an assistant coach here and Lou Holtz is a joke lol

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Don't mean to get off topic, but Mark May is a fucking clown. Arguably the worst analyst on the ESPN staff...and that's quite an accomplishment.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What the FUCK, is all I have to say

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5950873

Unfortunate that these guys won't be playing in the Miami game...not sure it would affect the outcome regardless.

Why the hell would you sell a big ten championship ring though? lol

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pryor's high school coach said his family needed the money, that could be a reason or they just wanted some extra cash.

They should all probably enter the NFL Draft now.. Except for that defensive end, I had never even heard of him before today.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I would be absolutely furious if I were an OSU fan.

These kids sold personal items for under 1500 bucks while Cam Newton and his father were soliciting hundreds of thousands of dollars all across the Atlantic coast...and that gets swept under the rug.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You win some you lose some.. I don't mind the Dan Herron suspension, since he is holding back about 3 running backs who have more talent then him. I'm just hoping Braxton Miller is ready to take over the reigns as a freshman.. I don't want to see our shitty senior back up play next year. Our WR core will be weak as well with Posey most likely to enter the draft now..

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Now Pryor owes the school around $2,500. He sold stuff the school gave him for the money.

I think they should be suspended for the bowl game to.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They're making kids pay anywhere from 1K to 2.5K to charities, when they're suppose to be broke college kids. How do they expect them to pay those 'charity fines'?

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Because in the actual report, it shows how much money of OSU stuff the players sold to go get tattoos. They have to pay back only as much as they sold. And its actual from $100-$2500.

Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring, a 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 Gold Pants, a gift from the university for players on a team which beat arch-rival Michigan.

Herron must repay $1,150 for selling his football jersey, pants and shoes for $1,000 and receiving discounted services worth $150.

Posey must repay $1,250 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,200 and receiving discounted services worth $50.

Adams must repay $1,000 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring.

Thomas must repay $1,505 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,000, his 2008 Gold Pants for $350 and receiving discounted services worth $155.

"These are significant penalties based on findings and information provided by the university," Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs, said in a statement released by the NCAA

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This isn't even about tattoos lol, the first story about it was just something minor.. They traded autographs for them. The article above clearly says they sold their stuff for money, nothing to do with the tattoos, that's probably just the discounted services.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%