Report: Harvin could be seeking Megatron/Fitzgerald money

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We reported on Monday that Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin is planning to hold out if he doesn’t get a long-term deal from the team this offseason, something that could be complicated by his reported contract demands.
Josina Anderson of ESPN.com spoke to a “high-ranking Vikings source” about Harvin and the source said he didn’t think a holdout would solve Harvin’s contract desires. That’s because of Harvin’s lack of leverage in the situation, but the standoff could also be impacted by the fact that Harvin apparently sees himself in the same class with Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson as the best wideouts in the NFL.

“[Harvin] is a star player in our league, but I would imagine that he sees himself in the class of the top wide receivers in our league,” the source said. “I do know at his production, when he was healthy, he was producing along with Larry and Calvin and those guys. I could see Harvin’s agent making the argument that he deserves their type of pay.”

He can make any argument he likes, but it’s hard to put Harvin in that kind of company based on their careers to this point. Harvin does many things well, but he doesn’t overwhelm defenses the way the other two men have done in their careers. Johnson just signed an eight-year, $150.5 million deal before the 2012 season and Fitzgerald is in the middle of his own eight-year, $128.5 million deal with plenty of guaranteed money in both cases.

If Harvin really is looking for that kind of money, his chances of getting a contract with the Vikings aren’t too hot. They probably won’t look any better to another team, which could mean this saga has a while to play out.

Rice18

I'm emotionally vested in me.
Reaction score
To be honest, he is worth near that money. Though he isn't as dominating of a reciever as either Fitz or Megatron, he is much more versatile than the two. You can throw in Harvin at running back, wide reciever or even returner. He was the whole team (besides Peterson) before his injury, and he played all over the field. The only thing that would make me say no to money close to this is his attitude/injury issues.

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
Sure, he's more versatile, but he really is needed at that WR position. Not sure I would give him that much money at all. He's proven himself to be a good receiver, but not sure.. especially with the attitude.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
To be honest, he is worth near that money. Though he isn't as dominating of a reciever as either Fitz or Megatron, he is much more versatile than the two. You can throw in Harvin at running back, wide reciever or even returner. He was the whole team (besides Peterson) before his injury, and he played all over the field. The only thing that would make me say no to money close to this is his attitude/injury issues.
He is no way near worth that money.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
and with fraizer extended theyre showing they want the coach over him so far. those two butt heads a lot.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
My uncle is down from Minnesota and I had to tell him about Harvin lol

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
CJ and Fitz are top 5 recievers..harvin is not. therefore you'd have to be retarded to give it to him. His versatility is also not worth that much considering they have AD at runningback so why would you throw him in there?

Rice18

Reaction score
so he cant do what you want your top wideout to do?

:sas:
By touchdowns meaning the jump up and snatch it in the air. Obviously he can score touchdowns.. He can score them at much more than just wide receiver too.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
How so? Percy can do it all, not just catch touchdowns.
He's also never put together a 1000 yard season. That alone is reason enough not to give him CJ money lol.

Rice18

Reaction score
He's also never put together a 1000 yard season. That alone is reason enough not to give him CJ money lol.
CJ also can't play all over the field on offense and do kick returns. Not saying he deserves exact numbers, but he does deserve somewhat near that kind of a contract. Before his injury this season he was on pace to be a contender for MVP.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Harvin isn't a top 5 WR, the kickoff game might be obsolete in 2-3 years, and why would you want him at RB when Adrian Peterson just put up arguably the 2nd best season for a RB in NFL history

Rice18

Reaction score
Harvin isn't a top 5 WR, the kickoff game might be obsolete in 2-3 years, and why would you want him at RB when Adrian Peterson just put up arguably the 2nd best season for a RB in NFL history
There is a such thing as the wildcat, and Peterson is not in every single running play. You may think he isn't a top five reciever, but this season when he played he proved otherwise IMO. Being a contender for the MVP proves that you are a top player..

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
wildcat doesnt work.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
your such a fucking homer its ridiculous. harvin isn't even on the level of djax when it comes to versatility, kick returns and receiving. djax isnt getting that money and neither is harvin.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Best multipurpose player in the league but the Vikings aren't going to pay him anything close to Megatron/Fitz bucks. The Vikings backbone is AD and fact is we made playoffs long after Harvin's season ended this past year. Now we're obviously better with him on the field but we're heading into FA with a nice chunk of cap to spend on a Jennings, Bowe or Wallace, should we choose, and the 2-3 rounds of the draft have a lot of really good WR prospects.

I like the Vikings to sign a guy like Wallace and then draft Justin Hunter in the 2nd or 3rd round. THis combined with how well Jarius Wright filled in for a lot of those Percy Harvin packages AND Kyle Rudolph.......yeah, um, I think we'll be okay.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
your such a fucking homer its ridiculous. harvin isn't even on the level of djax when it comes to versatility, kick returns and receiving. djax isnt getting that money and neither is harvin.
Um what? Harvin is infinitely better at every facet of the game than Desean Jackson.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%