Red Bulls confirm capture of France star Henry

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Red Bulls confirm capture of France star Henry

New York Red Bulls have confirmed the signing of former Barcelona and Arsenal forward Thierry Henry, who will make his debut in a friendly game against Tottenham.

Henry - a member of the France World Cup squad that returned home in disgrace from South Africa - has joined the MLS side on a "multi-year contract" in one of the biggest coups for the league in its history.

"This marks an exciting new chapter in my career and life," Henry said. "It is an honour to play for the New York Red Bulls. I am fully aware of the team's history and my sole goal during my time here is to help win the club its first championship. Knowing Red Bull's significant commitment to soccer locally and internationally, I am confident that my team-mates and I will succeed."

The 32-year-old is France's all-time record goalscorer having scored 51 times for les Bleus and he also broke Ian Wright's record for Arsenal, scoring 226 goals between 1999 and 2007 as he cemented his reputation as one of the finest players in world football.

Henry was an integral member of the Arsenal side that went the season unbeaten in 2003-04 and won two league titles and three FA Cups during his time in North London. He was also named Footballer of the Year on three separate occasions.

Henry joined Barcelona in the summer of 2007 and helped the club secure the treble in 2009 when they defeated Manchester United in the final of the Champions League, scoring 25 goals in all competitions for the Catalans. However, last season he struggled to win a place in Pep Guardiola's side, making just 15 league starts as Barca retained the Spanish league title.

"It is without question that Thierry Henry is one of the most successful and recognisable soccer players over the past 15 years," Dietmar Beiersdorfer, head of Red Bull Global Soccer, said. "We are thrilled that Thierry has decided to come to New York to help the Red Bulls compete for championships this year and for years to come. His international pedigree is second to none and he is a proven winner."

Henry now opens a new chapter in his career by moving to MLS and will be presented as a Red Bulls player in a press conference on July 15. When his international transfer certificate is safely received, Henry will be able to make his debut against Arsenal's bitter rivals, Tottenham, in a friendly fixture on July 22.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=808676&sec=transfers&cc=3436
Oh dearie me. You lucky sods. If any of you live in New York, and don't go and watch him....shame on you.

Funny that his first match will be against Tottenham. Shame the Spurs fans won't be present. They'd have given him a real hard time.

Oiler35

Reaction score
All the stars that are past their prime are coming to the MLS. We'll hopefully have some good players soon, I'm liking the way it looks.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Cool, Thierry Henry coming to NY. I might go and see a game, but prolly not if the tickets are expensive, lol.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
I wish Michigan had an MLS team. If they did I would go see him for sure. But I get to see AC Milan next month so I'm not complaining. Hopefully more big international names comes over to the MLS in the future. It will bring soccer enjoyment over here.

Mooche

Reaction score
He isn't going to be the same type of player he was obviously, he has lost a step, but he is going to put fans in the seats. As well, he can still play with those guys no matter what.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I thought this happened a while ago. Anyways, it's very interesting. Obviously, he's not the Thierry Henry of old, but he'll be a big draw for the MLS, something the league desperately needs. Even better if he can return close to form and play well. With all the excitement in the U.S. from the World Cup, the MLS has the perfect opportunity to take advantage. We'll see if they can.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
I thought this happened a while ago. Anyways, it's very interesting. Obviously, he's not the Thierry Henry of old, but he'll be a big draw for the MLS, something the league desperately needs. Even better if he can return close to form and play well. With all the excitement in the U.S. from the World Cup, the MLS has the perfect opportunity to take advantage. We'll see if they can.
There were talks of it happening but nothing was official until now. But I completely agree. Everyone in the US was excited for the World Cup so this will help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%