Raiders Might Waive DeAngelo Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

.dk92

AMAZING
Reaction score
Raiders could release CB Hall

Posted: November 4th, 2008 | Adam Schefter | Tags: DeAngelo Hall, Oakland Raiders

Oakland captured the NFL’s attention when it fired Lane Kiffin and hired Tom Cable. Now it is about to do it again — in a far more stunning fashion.

The Raiders are on the verge of releasing Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall on Wednesday, according to multiple NFL sources.

If they do — and the team was planning on doing it Tuesday before it held off — Oakland will have paid Hall $8 million for eight games and Atlanta a second-round pick for the cornerback’s services.

Oakland is planning to waive him now so as to avoid paying Hall the $16 million worth of injury-guaranteed bonuses in his contract. It is too much of a risk for a Raiders team that still needs to do more rebuilding.

If Oakland follows through, Hall would be placed on waivers, leaving playoff contenders with the question of whether they should put in a claim for him. If Hall goes unclaimed, he would be free to sign with any team.

Last off-season, when the Falcons shopped Hall, the teams most interested in the cornerback were the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants and Washington Redskins. The New England Patriots also have been in search of cornerback help.

Any one of those teams could put in a waiver claim for Hall, but it would be obligated to pick up his contract. If no one claims Hall, he could sign with the team of his choosing.

But this much is known: Hall’s time in Oakland has been brief and looks to be coming to a close. The curtain could drop Wednesday, if not Tuesday night.
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Why would you trade for him, then release him during the season? Al Davis thinks this is Madden or something.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Oh my word!

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Like most, do you wanna take the risk?

We need help in the secondary, but Hall has too much baggage.... Pass

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wouldn't be suprised to see the Pats look into him

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
Lol, wow Al Davis is a dumbass.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah something needs to be done about Davis, much like James Dolan In NY

He's past his prime and needs to let it go.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dude it's Al Davis. Does any decision the guy make surprise you at this point?

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Good, now the Giants can take him. They'll make a nice CB setup...

Aaron Ross
Deangelo Hall
Corey Webster
Kevin Dockery

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lions seem to want to sign everyone. Might as well get Hall.

Hoffa

Reaction score
Good, now the Giants can take him. They'll make a nice CB setup...

Aaron Ross
Deangelo Hall
Corey Webster
Kevin Dockery
Not before the Cowboys do :D

You know yourself Jerry Jones will be all over this deal, I won't be surprised if we ended up signing him.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well teams with worst record get first dibs right?

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Just when I thought Davis couldn`t make any more stupid decisions, he considers waivering a guy that has improved their defense, believe it or not, from what they were.

If teams with the worst record get first dibs, Lions should be golden, and without Millen there they wouldn`t pass up this offer, I would hope not anyways.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There's a reason that he's going to be cut. He gets burnt/beat so much. He is not even that good of a corner. People thought he was so good because he picked up all those INTs in Atlanta, but he really is not. He racks up so many tackles because he's always giving up catches.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
hes a young top-notch starter at CB.

As for the Cowboys, i think their bigger concern is at Safety.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Last I remember ForReal, you were confident in Scandrick and the other guy...

But honestly the last thing you guys need to do is bring in another character.

You know it, I dont want him either.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i still call him deangelo falls

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I was just gonna say the same thing, you felt confident in those two last time I checked, and you told me that the defense would be fine. Now your telling me that your concerned? Psh...

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well its official now....

Raiders cornerback DeAngelo Hall was the first player released by team owner Al Davis on Wednesday, a move expected to trigger a major shakeup of Oakland's roster.Angered by the Raiders' 2-6 start, Davis asked his front-office staff to explore the possibility of releasing several players. By releasing Hall, who was acquired from Atlanta before this season, the Raiders are washing their hands of a seven-year, $72 million contract after only eight games.

Hall was paid $8 million for eight games; he received a $7 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary. Because he's a vested veteran, his $1 million salary is guaranteed. Atlanta received second- and fifth-round draft picks in the deal.

According to a source, the Raiders asked Hall if he would consider restructuring his contract. Hall declined, and then was notified of his release. Oakland is expected to make an announcement prior to practice Wednesday.

The Raiders are not expected to make additional roster moves before Thursday

Raiders management began examining the roster Monday, a day after the team's embarrassing 24-0 loss to the Falcons. Davis, looking ahead to the rest of the season and to 2009, asked his staff to study a list of potential players who could be let go before the end of the week or after the season, sources said.

One source said the list included more than a dozen names. The front-office staff studied the salary-cap consequences of releasing high-priced veteran players. Davis also wanted his staff to see if other teams might claim any of these players on waivers.

Also under consideration to be let go is wide receiver Javon Walker, who received an $11 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary this year but has only 13 catches in his first seven games. The other players on Davis' list are unknown.

At his Monday news conference, interim Raiders coach Tom Cable said he was thinking of making more changes in the starting lineup. Since taking over for Lane Kiffin, Cable has benched receiver Ronald Curry and safety Michael Huff.

Hall does not have a skills guarantee for 2009, so the Raiders will not owe him a $9.05 million option bonus for the final six years of the deal. Hall also won't receive the $7.5 million base salary he was scheduled to make in 2009.
LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%