Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Horrible first pick..Is this guy serious? Bowe will get franchised

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Horrible first pick..Is this guy serious? Bowe will get franchised
Just ignore it my dude..

Any mock draft is just pissin in the wind until FA has started and signings has started.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
  1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

Andrew Luck didn't throw at the Combine, but his athleticism was terrific. He essentially posted the same 40, broad jump and vertical leap as Cam Newton. Many like to compare Luck to Peyton Manning because of the Indianapolis connection, but Luck is more like Aaron Rodgers - and he'll be extra dangerous on the Lucas Oil turf.

We know this pick will Luck, but the question is where will Manning go, and can he even play? The favorites seem to be Miami, Washington and Arizona, but I have to believe that he'll want to sign with a team that has the cap room to bring on his entire entourage (Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark and possibly Dwight Freeney).

Who would that be exactly? Here are my Offseason Quarterback Predictions.

*** OTHER 2012 NFL DRAFT POSSIBILITIES: ***

1. None - A Yahoo! report recently said that Luck would be the pick, even if Robert Griffin "flew" at the Combine. I'm sure the Colts love Griffin, but Luck is the best quarterback prospect in at least 14 years.
  2. Cleveland Browns: Robert Griffin, QB, Baylor

I've been predicting a Robert Griffin trade here ever since the regular season concluded. Adam Schefter reported this past weekend that the Rams will be dealing this selection. They won't remain in this spot. As intriguing as Matt Kalil might be, they have way too many holes on their roster. This pick is just way too valuable to hold on to.

I had the Redskins moving up here in a previous update, and they certainly could be the ones to land Robert Griffin. However, I think the Browns are the favorite to make the move for three reasons. First, Peyton Manning is more likely to go to Washington than Cleveland. The Browns have no shot at him, but still might need to move up for Griffin so Seattle or Miami doesn't. Second, Cleveland has more ammunition to move up to No. 2 because of its two first-round picks. And third, I think St. Louis would much rather move down to No. 4 than No. 6 because it will still be able to land either Kalil or Justin Blackmon with the fourth pick.

If, however, the Redskins don't land Manning, I think they'll be the favorites to move up to No. 2. Daniel Snyder will do everything in his power to make it happen, and Mike Shanahan and Jeff Fisher are great friends. Besides, Griffin is a perfect fit for Shanahan's bootleg-oriented offense.

At any rate, I don't really need to explain why the Browns would want to move up for Griffin. Colt McCoy is a lost cause as a long-term starter, so the Brows will select Griffin as their new franchise quarterback. Is Young Griff the prototypical West Coast quarterback? No, but neither was Donovan McNabb, and Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren's pupil, selected him back in 1999.

1. Matt Kalil, OT - It's highly unlikely that the Rams will keep this selection, but if they do, they'll take Matt Kalil. There's a 99-percent chance they'll move this selection though.

Why Kalil and not Blackmon? St. Louis has way too much invested in Sam Bradford to have him suffer David Carr syndrome. The offensive line is a mess, as concussion-prone right tackle Jason Smith stinks and left tackle Rodger Saffold is too overmatched to be stationed on the blind side. With general manager Billy Devaney gone, the Rams can part ways with Smith if they wish. He's been an enormous bust.

Also, Kalil is a much better prospect than Blackmon. It's not even close. He's the best left tackle prospect since Joe Thomas, and aside from Andrew Luck, he's the top player in this class.
  3. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT, USC

This really is as much of a no-brainer as Andrew Luck to the Colts. If Matt Kalil is on the board, the Vikings won't spend two minutes handing in their draft card. Of course, I won't be happy about this because I won't have enough time to write stupid things in my live draft blog.

Kalil is the best non-quarterback in this class, and Minnesota has a major need at left tackle, where the pedestrian Charlie Johnson has sucked all year. The Vikings absolutely need to make sure Christian Ponder is well protected.

1. Justin Blackmon, WR - In the event that the Rams can't trade their pick and Matt Kalil is not available, I believe the Vikings would take Justin Blackmon. Of course, they would probably move this selection themselves, but as I wrote earlier, it's highly unlikely that St. Louis will hold on to its pick.
  4. St. Louis Rams: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

As noted earlier, the Rams would love to move down to No. 4 because they'll still be able to land either Matt Kalil or Justin Blackmon. The former is off the board, so the Oklahoma State wideout is the choice.

St. Louis has a huge need for a receiver. It brought in Brandon Lloyd for a fourth-round pick - a trade that would end up poorly for both teams involved - but Lloyd told the media that he plans on following Josh McDaniels this offseason. The Patriots hired McDaniels, so I suppose that means they're getting Lloyd as well (though Lloyd's agent, Tom Condon, will probably complicate matters).

Some may have Morris Claiborne here if the Rams move down to No. 4, but with the two prospects being about even, I suspect that they'll go with the bigger need. Besides, I believe St. Louis will be able to sign Cortland Finnegan this offseason, as the Tennessee corner may want to reunite with Jeff Fisher, his former head coach.

Blackmon measured in at 6-1 at the Combine, so there's a fact floating around that he would be the shortest receiver chosen in the top 10 since Ted Ginn in 2007. It's pretty silly to think like that though. Blackmon is a stud, and he plays much bigger than he is. Besides, Michael Crabtree is just a couple of inches taller than Blackmon, and he would have been chosen in the top five if he wasn't such an ego-maniac. I don't know why some people have an agenda against the Cowboy wideout, but he's a legitimate top-six prospect.

1. Robert Griffin, QB - Some mocks have Robert Griffin slipping to this spot, but I don't see how that can possibly happen, given how many teams need quarterbacks. Griffin is a stud, and the Browns would be completely insane to pass up on him.

2. Morris Claiborne, CB - If the Browns don't like 6-1 receivers for some inexplicable reason, they can take Claiborne. Mike Holmgren is a fan of spending early selections on cornerbacks. Pairing Claiborne with Joe Haden would potentially give Cleveland two shutdown corners.
  5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

I mocked Trent Richardson here in my previous update, but two things have happened since then. First, the Buccaneers hired LSU secondary coach Ron Cooper to be their defensive backs coach, so the connection is there. Second, Richardson has undergone minor knee surgery. It shouldn't be a big deal, but any team is going to be wary of spending such a high pick on a back with any sort of knee malady.

Richardson could still be a possibility, but Morris Claiborne is now the favorite. Aqib Talib could be going to jail, while Ronde Barber will probably retire this offseason. The corner position is a dire need for Tampa. Claiborne is easily the top talent available, save for Richardson.

1. Trent Richardson, RB - LeGarrette Blount isn't the sharpest light bulb in the tool shed, as Emmitt might say. He can't catch the ball, and he doesn't understand pass protection schemes. There's a reason the coaching staff doesn't use him in passing situations. He's just completely lost, and it doesn't help that he fumbles the ball at every opportunity. If the Buccaneers are confident in Richardson's knee, they'll definitely consider the Alabama back.

Pick change; previously Trent Richardson, RB
  6. Washington Redskins: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa

This selection is very difficult to predict right now because we don't know how the Redskins will handle the quarterback position in free agency. If they don't sign Peyton Manning or Matt Flynn, they'll have to either trade up for Robert Griffin or move down Ryan Tannehill. I had Tannehill in this spot in a previous update.

This mock update will assume that Washington will be able to land Manning or Flynn. If that happens, the Redskins will be able to use this selection on an offensive lineman to make sure their new quarterback stays healthy.

Right tackle Jammal Brown may not be back in 2012. He has no more guaranteed money left on his $27.5 million contract, and Mike Shanahan was quoted as saying that Brown's future depends on his ability to return to 100 percent in the offseason. Considering that Brown has always been hurt throughout his career, Washington will be looking for a new right tackle.

I'm not forcing a right tackle here, by the way. Riley Reiff is the second-best player available behind Trent Richardson. The Alabama running back is a stud, but Shanahan doesn't like spending first-round picks on that position. Besides, taking Richardson doesn't fill a need anyway.

1. Trade Up for Robert Griffin, QB - I already discussed this in the No. 2 capsule. If the Redskins can't sign Peyton Manning, they'll be the favorites to move up for Young Griff.

2. Justin Blackmon, WR - If Washington manages to sign Manning, it'll undoubtedly acquire a weapon or blocker for him. If it's not Riley Reiff, it could be Blackmon.
  7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina

I've been harping about Gene Smith needing to find some help at this pick for Blaine Gabbert, which would in turn save his own job. However, there's no one really available here who would qualify. Kendall Wright ran a poor 40 at the Combine (more on that later), so he's out of the mix for now. Michael Floyd isn't an option because of his off-the-field transgressions (Jacksonville likes completely clean players). I'd mock Jonathan Martin here, but the Jaguars apparently want to try Eben Britton at right tackle again.

Maybe Smith will take care of the receiver position in free agency. We'll see. If not, I'll re-mock Wright back to the Jaguars. In the meantime, it'll be Melvin Ingram, who was the most impressive defensive end at the Combine. Quinton Coples might be higher than Ingram on most big boards, but Smith won't be interested in the former, who slacked off last season. Ingram is a high-character guy. He's exactly what Smith looks for in a draft prospect.

Defensive end is a big need. Jeremy Mincey has really emerged as a dynamic pass-rusher, but he's the only Jaguar who can consistently get to the quarterback. Aaron Kampman probably won't be back. Matt Roth stopped the run well, but couldn't apply any pressure on opposing passers. He has a concussion history as well, so Jacksonville can't exactly rely on him. John Chick, meanwhile, is a solid, situational pass-rusher, but is undersized and happens to be a liability in run support.

The Colts will have Andrew Luck as their quarterback for the next decade-plus. Matt Schaub is coming back for Houston. Jake Locker has shown potential in Tennessee. If the Jaguars want to be competitive in the AFC South, they'll need to apply as much pressure as possible on the quarterback.

1. Kendall Wright, WR - Peter King recently wrote that based on a couple of people he's spoken to, Wright will drop out of the first round because of his 4.61 40 at the Combine. The individuals who said this to King are morons. No one currently alive cares about a poor 40 time as long as the prospect in question has great tape. Wright has great tape. Anyone who has watched him can't honestly believe that he's a 4.6-type player. Some prospects just don't run the 40 well. Just look at Joe Haden. He timed poorly a couple of years ago, and everyone had him dropping out of the top 20. Yet, he still went No. 7 overall, and now Cleveland has a perennial Pro Bowl cornerback on its roster.

I'm bumping Wright down in this update (not out of the first round), but I may eventually place him in the top 15 again. He's just too good to fall out of the first round; 4.61 or not.

2. Jonathan Martin, OT - Here's another offensive player Jacksonville could pick. The right side of the offensive line didn't hold up for the Jaguars last year because right tackle Guy Whimper is a sieve. He's a free agent anyway, and if Jacksonville keeps Britton at left guard, its only alternative is someone named Cameron Bradfield. Bradfield did a decent job in two starts as a rookie, but was an undrafted free agent in 2011, so he can't exactly be counted on with Smith's job potentially on the line.

Pick change; previously Kendall Wright, WR
  8. Miami Dolphins: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

Mocking Quinton Coples to the Dolphins didn't make much sense a month ago, but new head coach Joe Philbin announced that he wants to convert this defense to a 4-3. That's a very strange move, given that Miami's stop unit wasn't the problem last year. I already thought the Philbin hire was a curious one to begin with, given the horrible event that just occurred in his life; his illogical moves make my belief stronger.

At any rate, the Dolphins need a pass-rusher across from Cameron Wake regardless of whether they're running the 4-3 or 3-4. The only difference is that Coples becomes a perfect complement to Wake in the former formation.

Caveat emptor on Coples, by the way. The effort wasn't always there when he was a senior, and the only times he looked good in the Senior Bowl was when he was matched up against guards Kelechi Osemele and Senio Kelemete. Tackles Mike Adams and Mitchell Schwartz completely stonewalled him, and it wasn't surprising to me at all that other defensive ends out-performed him at the Combine. I wouldn't touch Coples with a top-12 pick, but there's no doubt that he'll likely be chosen in the top 10.

1. Riley Reiff, OT - I don't see Riley Reiff making it past the Dolphins. He would be the best player available, and would fill a huge need at right tackle.

2. Trade Up for Robert Griffin, QB - The Dolphins will probably sign Matt Flynn, but if they miss out on him, owner Stephen Ross will do everything in his power to acquire Griffin.
  9. Carolina Panthers: Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis

Yeah, this high. Dontari Poe was a beast at the Combine. Men who weigh 350 pounds aren't supposed to move around like him. Poe ran a 4.8 in the 40 and looked great in the drills. One of the NFL Network analysts said that he looked like a dancing bear. Another compared him to Haloti Ngata. Michael Lombardi said he was the same type of physical freak like Jason Pierre-Paul. The two are obviously different players at different positions, but it's the same premise; Poe is a world-class athlete with infinite upside.

The Panthers have a huge need in the interior of their defensive line. They spent a pair of third-round picks last year on defensive tackles Sione Fua and Terrell McClain. Fua wasn't that bad as a rookie, but McClain was awful, constantly getting abused against the run. Adding an immense talent like Poe would allow Fua and McClain to rotate next to him depending on the situation.

1. Fletcher Cox or Devon Still, DT - Defensive tackle is a huge need for Carolina. Other options make sense.

2. Riley Reiff/Jonathan Martin, OT - Charlie Campbell recently reported that the Panthers will be looking into an offensive tackle at this spot.

Pick change; previously Morris Claiborne, CB
  10. Buffalo Bills: Courtney Upshaw, DE, Alabama

Buffalo telegraphs its picks. Chan Gailey repeatedly mentioned acquiring a running back prior to the 2010 NFL Draft, and sure enough, he picked C.J. Spiller despite having Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson on the roster. Gailey has recently harped about not being able to get to the quarterback, and it's easy to understand why. No one on the team finished with more than 5.5 sacks on the year.

No team has shown more interest in Courtney Upshaw than the Bills. Upshaw is not a good fit in the 4-3 because of his 6-1 frame, but that'll likely be his position after the Combine because he was really stiff in the linebacker drills.

So, why Upshaw, and not someone like Nick Perry, who was terrific in Indianapolis? Well, aside from the interest, all but three of Buffalo's draft picks in the Gailey regime have been spent on prospects in the southeast. Gailey coached at Georgia Tech, and he undoubtedly trusts his southeast regional scouts during the draft process.

1. Whitney Mercilus or Nick Perry, DE - The other defensive end possibilities. The Bills have shown interest in Mercilus, so that's why I'm listing him first.

2. Michael Floyd, WR - The Bills gave Ryan Fitzpatrick a ton of money this past season, so they have to make sure they put him in the best position to succeed. That could mean taking a receiver at this spot.

Pick change; previously Melvin Ingram, DE
  11. Kansas City Chiefs: Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

Right tackle Barry Richardson is a sieve in pass protection. Jared Gaither was foolishly waived (typical dumb Todd Haley move), so Kansas City will be looking for an upgrade at the position.

This is an easy pick because Jonathan Martin is the top player available (excluding Trent Richardson) who fills a big need. I had Richardson here in a previous update, but his knee condition could scare Kansas City away from spending such a high pick on him...

1. Trent Richardson, RB - Then again, Scott Pioli may not want to pass up on the best running back prospect since Adrian Peterson.

2. David DeCastro, G - Kansas City has to address the interior of its offensive line. DeCastro has the potential to be the best guard in the NFL over the next decade.
  12. Seattle Seahawks: Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College

Luke Kuechly was phenomenal at the Combine. Some scouts thought he would run a 4.8 in Indianapolis, but he silenced his critics when he showed off his terrific athleticism.

Kuechly is the best player available who makes sense for the Seahawks. They'll need an inside linebacker if they don't re-sign David Hawthorne. Pro Football Weekly recently reported that Seattle won't "break the bank" to retain its current man in the middle. If Hawthorne leaves, a replacement will need to be obtained. Why not the top inside linebacker in the 2012 NFL Draft?

1. Fletcher Cox, Devon Still or Michael Brockers, DT - Seattle could take a defensive tackle because it needs an interior pass-rushing presence.

2. Courtney Upshaw or Nick Perry, DE - The Seahawks really need to upgrade their pass rush all over.

Pick change; previously Michael Brockers, DE/DT
  13. Arizona Cardinals: David DeCastro, G, Stanford

The Cardinals will be paying a ton of money to a quarterback next season, whether it's Kevin Kolb or Peyton Manning. Thus, they'll have to make sure their investment is protected.

This is normally really early for a guard, but David DeCastro is the top prospect at the position since Steve Hutchinson. He would be an enormous upgrade for Arizona's pedestrian offensive front.

1. Courtney Upshaw or Nick Perry, DE/OLB - Arizona's pass rush is lacking because rookie Sam Acho was the only linebacker who could get to the quarterback last year. O'Brien Schofield does have potential though.

2. Jonathan Martin, OT - The Cardinals really have to upgrade their offensive front. There's a chance that Martin could fall to Arizona.
  14. Dallas Cowboys: Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama

I've always had reservations about putting Janoris Jenkins in the first round because of his multiple arrests, but he seems to have turned his life around. He hasn't gotten into trouble at North Alabama, and he even recently told the media that he doesn't even hang around people who smoke weed anymore. It's an issue that he has four children already (all with baseborn last names of "Orange"), but it seems that as with Phil Taylor, getting kicked out of school served as a wake-up call for Jenkins.

If the Cowboys are content about Jenkins' character, they'll take him at No. 14. Their secondary is an abomination, so multiple upgrades will need to be found this offseason. Jenkins is easily one of the most talented players in this class.

1. Courtney Upshaw or Nick Perry, DE/OLB - The top rush linebacker available would be my choice here if the Cowboys weren't planning on franchising Anthony Spencer. They'll probably take a rush linebacker during Day 2.

2. David DeCastro, G - I can't see DeCastro making it past Dallas. The team has a huge need on the interior of its offensive front.
  15. Philadelphia Eagles: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

DeSean Jackson was criticized all year for dropping too many passes and not giving his all, but he had a strong finish to the 2011 season, which prompted Andy Reid to praise him during the Week 17 post-game press conference. There's now a chance that Jackson could be back, but I still have my doubts. Reid could have been talking him up for a potential tag-and-trade scheme, so I'm 70-30 on Jackson not returning.

If Jackson isn't retained, the Eagles will need a new receiver, and Michael Floyd, who was terrific at the Combine, is the top prospect on the board who currently makes sense for Philadelphia. If the Eagles re-sign Jackson, then I'll obviously change this pick.

1. Luke Kuechly, ILB - The Eagles need a linebacker, so I can't see them passing on Kuechly if he's available.

2. Devon Still or Fletcher Cox, DT - Hall of Fame writer Ray Didinger believes Philadelphia will spend this selection on a defensive tackle (he mentioned Still). No one knows the Eagles better than Didinger.

Pick change; previously Luke Kuechly, ILB
  16. New York Jets: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

Trent Richardson could fall to No. 16 because of knee concerns and the fact that the running back position has become devalued. I don't think the Jets would pass up on him though.

Rex Ryan needs to find help for the struggling Mark Sanchez. That could come in the form of a stud running back, as Shonn Greene has been a disappointment thus far. Greene offers nothing in the passing game, so Richardson would give Sanchez a very talented target coming out of the backfield.

1. Courtney Upshaw or Nick Perry, DE/OLB - Rex Ryan needs to upgrade his pass rush so he doesn't have to call blitzes all the time.

2. Michael Floyd/Kendall Wright, WR - Plaxico Burress is gone, while Santonio Holmes won't be around much longer if he keeps ruining the team. The Jets have to obtain some help for the regressing Mark Sanchez.

Pick change; previously Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Cincinnati Bengals: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

The pot possession charges against Dre Kirkpatrick have been dropped. It's still a bad sign that he's hanging out with losers who put him in a bad position, so there are still character concerns with him. Some teams will still downgrade him on their big board. Some teams, cough, Bengals, sneeze, won't care.

Cornerback is a need for Cincinnati. Nate Clements, who turns 32 in December, has been inconsistent this year. He'll also be a free agent after the 2012 season anyway. Meanwhile, Leon Hall won't be ready to play next year because of his torn Achilles.

1. Trent Richardson, RB - The Bengals won't pass on Richardson if he's available. The running back position is their top need, and Richardson would be the best player on the board.

2. Janoris Jenkins, CB - Another corner Cincinnati won't worry about taking is the ultra-talented Janoris Jenkins.​
San Diego Chargers: Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC

The Chargers didn't really address the rush linebacker position last offseason, opting only to sign Travis LaBoy, a rotational player. As a consequence, only one player had more than four sacks this past year. San Diego will definitely look into finding an upgrade at the position.

Nick Perry has great measurables and immense upside, as we saw from his amazing Combine, so there's a chance he'll be chosen as high as No. 10. With that in mind, getting him at the 18th spot is quite a bargain.

1. Top Offensive Lineman Available - Marcus McNeill will be cut. Jared Gaither is a free agent. Kris Dielman has retired. The Chargers need to improve their front line, but all of the top blockers are off the board.

2. Mark Barron, SS - I had Barron here in a previous update. The Bob Sanders signing was a bust.

Pick change; previously Mark Barron, SS
Chicago Bears: Kendall Wright, WR/KR, Baylor

Jay Cutler was at his best when he had Brandon Marshall to throw to. It's actually amazing that he can function with Earl Bennett, Johnny Knox and Devin Hester as his top options.

Kendall Wright had a poor showing at the Combine, but as I wrote earlier, it won't hurt him very much. He's still a first-round prospect, and it still wouldn't surprise me if the Jaguars picked him at No. 7 overall.

1. Fletcher Cox, Michael Brockers or Devon Still, DT - There's a chance that at least one of these top defensive tackles will be available. They're all here in this case. This is not a position of need for Chicago, but the position could still be addressed.

2. Cordy Glenn, G - Glenn is a great fit for Mike Tice's blocking scheme, and the guard position needs to be upgraded.

Pick change; previously Michael Floyd, WR
Tennessee Titans: Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois

The Titans really need to upgrade their pass rush; Karl Klug led the team in sacks with seven. Derrick Morgan is trending toward bust status, while Jason Jones probably won't be back next year.

Whitney Mercilus is a high-upside player who really epitomizes what Tennessee looks for in the defensive end position.

1. Cordy Glenn, G - Was Mike Munchak bluffing when he said he wouldn't select an interior lineman in the first round? Chris Johnson's blockers need to improve.

2. Mark Barron, SS - The Titans will have two holes at safety if Michael Griffin isn't retained.​
Cincinnati Bengals: Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia

Cincinnati's offensive line has played extremely well as a whole this past year, but the one exception has been left guard Nate Livings. The 29-year-old is a free agent anyway, so he'll need to be upgraded.

In the wake of an impressive Combine performance, Cordy Glenn is one of the top prospects on the board. He fits Cincinnati's blocking scheme, so he makes sense at this spot.

Pick change; previously Lamar Miller, RB
St. Louis Rams: Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State

This is part of the aforementioned Rams-Browns Robert Griffin trade. St. Louis needs as many picks as possible because it has so many holes on its roster. The front office pretty much has to take the best player available at every juncture. Fletcher Cox qualifies for that, as he was outstanding at the Combine. I considered slotting him as high as No. 12, so this is a steal.

Starting defensive tackles Fred Robbins and Justin Bannan will be 35 and 33, respectively, once the 2012 NFL Draft rolls around. The Rams will need some young blood at the position.

Pick change; previously Mike Adams, OT
Detroit Lions: Mark Barron, SS, Alabama

There are no cornerbacks available worth taking, but the Lions can still upgrade their secondary by selecting Mark Barron. He's the top prospect on the board, so he fits with their draft philosophy. Besides, Amari Spievey was brutal all year, and he saved his worst performance for the postseason loss at New Orleans.

Pick change; previously Nick Perry, DE
Pittsburgh Steelers: Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

The Steelers usually take the top player on their board, and it would be hard to imagine that it wouldn't be Dont'a Hightower in this case. Pittsburgh has some aging inside linebackers on its defense, so Hightower would be a great long-term solution. Hightower seems like he was made to play for the Steelers.

Pick change; previously Cordy Glenn, G
Denver Broncos: Devon Still, DT, Penn State

Brodrick Bunkley had a great year as a run-stuffer, but the Broncos don't really have anything next to him. Ryan McBean and free agent Marcus Thomas were both OK in run support, while offering absolutely nothing in terms of a pass rush. Devon Still is the top player on the board, so I don't see why Denver would pass on him.​
Houston Texans: Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

The Texans, a team that tends to focus in on one or two positions in each round of the NFL Draft, will take the top receiver available. That's pretty much been apparent for months now, but the Houston Chronicle confirmed it recently.

So, who's the top wideout? It's not Alshon Jeffery anymore, as he reportedly turned teams off in the interviews. Reuben Randle disappointed at the Combine. Mohamed Sanu doesn't have No. 1 potential. The top receiver on the board is Stephen Hill.

Hill had an amazing Combine, both in terms of his triangle numbers and drill work. The success of Demaryius Thomas only helps his cause.

Pick change; previously Alshon Jeffery, WR
New England Patriots: Michael Brockers, DE/DT, LSU

Here's one of many front-seven upgrades the Patriots will need to make. With Albert Haynesworth gone, they need to address the front line. Michael Brockers, who disappointed at the Combine after a shocking weigh-in, is the best player available at this juncture.

Pick change; previously Fletcher Cox, DE/DT
Green Bay Packers: Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin

This may not seem like an obvious choice for the Packers, but Scott Wells, their stud center, is a free agent. Green Bay is close to the salary cap, so it may not be able to re-sign Wells if he receives a huge contract elsewhere.

The Packers will reportedly go after Texans' free agent Chris Myers. If they can't sign him or keep Wells, Peter Konz will become one of the favorites to be selected at No. 28.​
Baltimore Ravens: Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State

As noted in my 2012 NFL Offseason Needs, Bryant McKinnie did a decent job at left tackle this year, but he'll be 33 in September, and with his skills eroding, he can't be counted on much longer.

Despite a sub-par showing at the Combine, Mike Adams is arguably the top prospect on the board, so Baltimore could select him to be the long-term bookend tackle across from Michael Oher.

Pick change; previously Dont'a Hightower, ILB
San Francisco 49ers: Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford

Umm... did I forget about Vernon Davis? No. Jim Harbaugh loves utilizing multiple tight ends in his offense. If you don't think this can work, let me refer you to the Patriots. I'd say Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez complement each other rather well.

Harbaugh needs to acquire an offensive playmaker for Alex Smith, and Coby Fleener happens to be the best one available, as taking any receiver at this point would be considered a major reach. It's also worth noting that Fleener's stock has gone up despite the fact that he didn't work out in Indianapolis because Orson Charles and Dwayne Allen were both highly disappointing.​
New England Patriots: Andre Branch, DE/OLB, Clemson

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Andre Branch were drafted at the very end of Round 1. Branch, who had a terrific Combine, is a really good fit for the Patriots. He can play defensive end in the 4-3 and rush linebacker 3-4, filling both needs in those schemes. He also has the size that Bill Belichick likes out of his rush linebackers.

Pick change; previously Vinny Curry, DE/OLB
New York Giants: David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech

Jerry Reese's draft philosophy is to take the best player available. That would be David Wilson in this case. The Virginia Tech runner had an awesome Combine. In addition to posting great triangle numbers and catching the ball well in the drills, he was extremely impressive in the interviews.
Running back isn't New York's biggest need, but it could certainly be addressed at this spot. Ahmad Bradshaw has yet to prove that he can carry the load for a full season. Brandon Jacobs may not be back next year with a $4.9 million price tag.
Pick change; previously Dwayne Allen, TE

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Anything with an Alabama player going to the Jets I'm good with. Upshaw, Richardson, Barron, I'm cool with any of them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%