Phil Jackson wants a 4pt line, add 6 seconds on the shot clock

Senators26

Reaction score
For someone who's at times been critical of the NBA's growing infatuation with the 3-point shot, New York Knicks president Phil Jackson has some surprising notions on how to improve the league.

"Why not have a 4-point line about 35 feet out?" Jackson suggested to Charley Rosen of Today's Fastbreak in an interview published Friday. "It wouldn't be long before players will get reasonably comfortable shooting from out there. And having a 4-point line would certainly serve to enable teams to catch up in what are now blowout games."

Perhaps it' a sign Jackson's outlook has changed. He's already demonstrated a softening stance on his adherence to the triangle offense, after his Knicks finished 29th and 26th in offensive efficiency the last two seasons.

"The spacing has changed dramatically," Jackson said of the modern game last month. "So the triangle can still be a part of that, but it has to adapt."

That said, adding a 4-point line would be unlikely to benefit this particular iteration of the Knicks, who finished 20th in the NBA in 3-point percentage last season, and didn't exactly boost their long-range shooting with the offseason additions of Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah.

Jackson's other suggestion for gameplay improvement seems more in line with his principles: He'd like to see six seconds added to the 24-second shot clock.

"This would give offenses more time to get low-post players involved, make defenses work harder, and encourage more passing and player movement," he explained.

Since Jackson took over as president in 2014, the Knicks have played slow while the league has skewed fast, emphasized the post while others have focused on the perimeter, and ranked in the bottom five in assist rate despite throwing more passes than nearly every team. They'd stand to gain as much as any team (save perhaps the Spurs) from a 30-second clock.

Jackson understands that small-ball and the 3-ball are all the rage right now, but he anticipates those fads being cycled out, and replaced again by the big-man bully-ball of the 90s and early 2000s.

"The pendulum will swing back," he said, "when big men make a habit of crushing smaller defenders."

Jackson insisted, however, he has no fundamental objection to small-ball.

"I'm certainly not against it," he said. "In fact, I'm not against anything."

Given the rule changes he's stumping for, that ethos makes a lot of sense.
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1060624?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Both are terrible ideas

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A 4 point line would basically just help one player in the league

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Senators26 said:
And having a 4-point line would certainly serve to enable teams to catch up in what are now blowout games."

If you have such good shooters that you could cut into a blowout with 4 pointers, you wouldn't be in a blowout in the first place.

Just more bricks is all

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
A 4 point line would be stupid. It would be such a low percentage shot. All it would be for is senseless chucks for arrogant guys like Curry, and desperation shots for teams down by 4+ that might go in every now and then and nullify the good work the other team did to get a 2 possession lead in the first place. Teams shouldn't be rewarded for being down 4+ and then getting off a lucky shot from 35 feet.

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Curry would get even more efficient 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Although I'd love to see JR play with a 4 point line

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm down for a 4 point line.  Fuck adding time to the shot clock, though.  

If anything, take away six seconds.  Cut the 8 second violation into 4 seconds.  Make the NBA just retardedly fast.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Hurricane Season said:
I'm down for a 4 point line.  Fuck adding time to the shot clock, though.  

If anything, take away six seconds.  Cut the 8 second violation into 4 seconds.  Make the NBA just retardedly fast.

I'm on board with all of this. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think it's also funny that he actually believes that the game is going to shift back into the big man's favor and that mass three point shooting is a "fad". Talk about being out of touch with reality. 

This guy should not be running an NBA franchise 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
elcheato said:
I think it's also funny that he actually believes that the game is going to shift back into the big man's favor and that mass three point shooting is a "fad". Talk about being out of touch with reality. 

I can think of 11 reasons why it's okay

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He win any of those as a GM? In the current era of play? 

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
elcheato said:

and the laker job seems to be his if he wants it next year

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
30 second shot clock would be great. Teams could actually run offensive sets as opposed to all the panic shots we see.

Fuck off with the 4 point line nonsense

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There is enough time to run sets now, if teams are choosing to run iso or a pick and roll, 6 more seconds is not gonna stop them

spangar

Reaction score
Adding 6 seconds would not stop panic shots. Half of those shots come from running iso and them taking 6 seconds to walk across half court and then standing at the top of the point for the next 12 sec and now they only have 6 seconds left to work with. There is plenty of time to run an offense 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Adding 6 seconds is never going to happen and for good reason

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teams would purposely slow the game down, similarly to the assfucks in college ball

Paulius

Reaction score
elcheato said:

Believe in the zen master

Paulius

Reaction score
Lowry would have 6 points on 2-12 shooting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%