Phil Jackson Calls Ilgauskas Situation 'Sham', 'Charades'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Phil Jackson once again was critical of the NBA's loophole that allowed Cleveland to deal away Zyrunas Ilgauskas for Antawn Jamison.

"It's something that's going to have to be addressed in the next (collective bargaining agreement),'' Jackson said of the rule in its current form. "It's a sham of sorts to make that kind of trade. You're not really trading a player. You're just trading a money situation. It's a sham, and I think it's a disrespect for the league and the players to be involved in this type of a thing.''

Jackson had expressed disapproval last week about the deal, calling it a "weird situation.''

Jackson said perhaps the rule should be changed to make it a waiting period of multiple months before a player could return to the team that dealt him.

"You only have a rule about not being able to trade the player after you signed him in free agency until mid-December after you signed him in August,'' Jackson said of the rule that calls for a player signed as a free agent during the offseason not being eligible to be traded until Dec. 15 or 90 days, whichever is later. "Maybe something like that could be instituted where it's two or three months ... if it's the same team. Otherwise, it's just kind of charades.''

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Was he saying all that when they got pau for kwame?

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No he wasn't lol

That was just a scrub ass trade and they knew Pau wouldn't stay there so why not lol. It was a good situation for them so of course he's not gonna say anything about it...

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Did the Lakers get Kwame back after that deal?

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
[quote name='Big Bid'Ness' post='4238429' date='Feb 25 2010, 05:08 PM']No[/quote]

Oh. Then how is it the same?

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Whats up with the cavs hate....cavs got yall steaming.

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I haven't hated on the cavs at all. I just think doing those kind of deals is wrong no matter who does it. I felt the same way when the Celtics did it with GP.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Of course not, but he wasn't saying this when the Pistons did this exact move last year, obviously scared.
it's like when Pop was crying about Pau but said nothing when they got Richard jefferson for trash (looked like a super steal at the time. put-the-spurs-right-next-to-the-lakers good)

And TYO, why did you bring up pau?
total different situations.

1. Jamison still had a lot on his contract, Pau didn't and wasnt going to re-sign
2. the Lakers didnt get Kwame back like $tunna pointed out.
3. the laker trade allowed the grizzlies to get 2 more 1st round picks, Marc Gasol (putting up similar numbers to Pau in his 2nd year. only main difference is points, but Pau got more shots) AND it allowed them to go get ZBo

2 picks(Darrell Arthur and 2010 first rounder), Marc Gasol, ZBO > Pau

I understand why Phil is upset though. well not upset, but why he said what he said.
There is a reason why the NBA was thinking about not letting them get Z back. This was obviously a under the table hush hush deal. They're hiding it by his agent saying stuff like other teams are interested. Dallas and Atlanta and Denver? THey're not getting Z.

This is what Phil means. It's a super lopsided deal at the moment. The cavs basically get Jamison for free.

I dont care about it. I dont care if this rule stays. I just think there should be some form of penalty like no playoffs for that player. I've always hated this from the first time I saw it with Lindsey Hunter in 04, GP in 05, etc

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
it's like when Pop was crying about Pau but said nothing when they got Richard jefferson for trash (looked like a super steal at the time. put-the-spurs-right-next-to-the-lakers good)

And TYO, why did you bring up pau?
total different situations.

1. Jamison still had a lot on his contract, Pau didn't and wasnt going to re-sign
2. the Lakers didnt get Kwame back like $tunna pointed out.
3. the laker trade allowed the grizzlies to get 2 more 1st round picks, Marc Gasol (putting up similar numbers to Pau in his 2nd year. only main difference is points, but Pau got more shots) AND it allowed them to go get ZBo

2 picks(Darrell Arthur and 2010 first rounder), Marc Gasol, ZBO > Pau

I understand why Phil is upset though. well not upset, but why he said what he said.
There is a reason why the NBA was thinking about not letting them get Z back. This was obviously a under the table hush hush deal. They're hiding it by his agent saying stuff like other teams are interested. Dallas and Atlanta and Denver? THey're not getting Z.

This is what Phil means. It's a super lopsided deal at the moment. The cavs basically get Jamison for free.

I dont care about it. I dont care if this rule stays. I just think there should be some form of penalty like no playoffs for that player. I've always hated this from the first time I saw it with Lindsey Hunter in 04, GP in 05, etc
The trade is exactly the same as the Pau trade, except for the fact that the expiring salary filler was bought out to help the team save money. They get a first round pick late in the draft and an overseas prospect that no one knows. Well actually the Wizards also got Al Thornton in the deal as well.. Either way you put it both deals are horrible and Phil would have done it if he had the same personnel to do it.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
of course he would have done it, everyone would have done it

it's still something the league should work on, dont you agree?

i hate this. everyone hates this

i dont think both trades were horrible either. the wizards now have a chanve to start over

i still think it's different though. the lakers didnt get Kwame or Mckie back that year
Same with the other teams who did it like SA, DET, etc

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
of course he would have done it, everyone would have done it

it's still something the league should work on, dont you agree?

i hate this. everyone hates this

i dont think both trades were horrible either. the wizards now have a chanve to start over

i still think it's different though. the lakers didnt get Kwame or Mckie back that year
Same with the other teams who did it like SA, DET, etc
Well then he shouldn't be complaining.. Only coach I would expect to complain is SVG but he complains about everything.

I don't think it should be allowed, but it is and it has been done before, and this is the first time Phil has criticized it, only because this time its a team that could be in his way for a repeat.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
it's the first time he's ever been asked about it probably

and it's the first time a real legit player is being involved

Lindsey Hunter? ok whatever they got him back
Payton? who cares, they're fighting to get in the playoffs
Brent Barry? ok. whatever
McDyess was one I guess. but that was so early in the season. poor McD. should have stayed in Denver....

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No matter who did that trade it would still be unfair but the fact that it's Big Z and Antawn Jamison is what makes it worse then the other deals.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You're probably right that no one asked him before, but he really shouldn't call it a sham, if this weren't allowed we probably would have just signed Wally with the bird rights we have on him and sent him off to the Wizards as the large expiring so its whatever.

I'm sure he and the rest of the league would have been upset if this thing happened early in the year anyway.

Whatever, he'll get his wish, they'll make sure to end this next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%