PFF: Pro Bowl Cheat Sheet 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
OK, OK, I know. It’s far too early to start with all this stuff but the NFL doesn’t, and has started to allow voting for the Pro Bowls.

I’m one of those guys who loves the idea of an All-Star team so much (not the game you understand, just the voting and recognition bit) I’m always mortified by how little effort is made to keep the whole thing from turning into a crass debacle.

Call this my personal crusade to bring some sort of credence to player selection by providing a list of players you absolutely shouldn’t be embarrassed to vote for; these are the good guys, the ones who actually deserve it and aren’t just a product of hype or conventional wisdom.

Welcome to my monthly Pro Bowl Cheat Sheet.

(As a note, some players with great grades have been ruled out due to lack of snaps like Andre Johnson, Trent Cole or James Harrison. They may well return and, once the snaps are above our minimum for the position, be included if their performance still merits it.

AFC (starters bolded)

Offense

Quarterbacks: Tom Brady (NE), Matt Schaub (Hou) & Ben Roethlisberger (Pit)

It’s Brady and then, somewhere in the distance, the others. Ryan Fitzpatrick isn’t far off this list, with plenty of staff at PFF incredulous at his omission.

Halfbacks: Fred Jackson (Buf), Darren McFadden (Oak) & BenJarvus Green-Ellis (NE)

Jackson may not be the best pure runner in the league but he is the best all round back (right now) when you add in his work in the passing game.

Fullback: Vonta Leach (Bal)

Back to something like his best so far.

Tight Ends: Rob Gronkowski (NE) & Owen Daniels (Hou)

Has Gronkowski overtaken Jason Witten as the best all-round TE in football? Boy can he block.

Wide Receivers: Wes Welker (NE), Mike Wallace (Pit), Dwayne Bowe (KC) & Stevie Johnson (Buf)

Brandon Marshall is dropping too many balls (seven) and Pierre Garcon, because of the nature of the Colts, picks up a lot of yards in garbage time.

Tackles: Andrew Whitworth, LT (Cin), Eric Winston, RT (Hou) & Michael Roos (Ten)

Joe Thomas made a late rush against the Seahawks and may well be there at the end.

Guards: Andy Levitre, LG (Buf), Brian Waters, RG (NE) & Marshall Yanda (Bal)

Levitre is leading all guards in our ratings and even looked pretty good playing left tackle for some snaps against the Giants. If you were told a guard from the Patriots made this team I bet you thought it was Logan Mankins. Wrong.

Centers: Chris Myers (Hou) & Eric Wood (Buf)

Myers is so far ahead of everyone else it’s not even a race at this stage. Nick Mangold graded better than Wood but didn’t make the minimum snap requirement.

Defense

Defensive Ends: Terrell Suggs (Bal), Antonio Smith (Hou) & Jabaal Sheard (Cle)

Carlos Dunlap just misses out due to lack of playing time. He’s the most effective pass rusher in the AFC but has only rushed 127 times.

Defensive/Nose Tackles: Richard Seymour (Oak), Tommy Kelly (Oak) & Haloti Ngata (Bal)

You just don’t run at the middle of that Raiders line – well not if you want to win anyway.

Outside Linebackers: Von Miller (Den), Daryl Smith (Jac) & Kamerion Wimbley (Oak)

Shaun Phillips of the Chargers is very close and a worthy selection but all these guys have been terrific too.

Middle linebackers: Ray Lewis (Bal) & Paul Posluszny (Jac)

Lewis has been brilliant all year while Posluszny is relishing his move back to a 4-3 defense.

Cornerbacks: Darrelle Revis (NYJ), Joe Haden (Cle) & Johnathan Joseph (Hou)

Just what Revis needed to get him back in gear? The young pretender to his throne, Haden, is good but still has much to do to come close to the master. Keep an eye on Lardarius Webb too; Khaled made an impassioned appeal for his inclusion but this article is my ball and I’ll take it away if he moans too much.

Safeties: Troy Polamalu (Pit), Jarius Byrd (Buf) & Reggie Nelson (Cin)

Reggie Nelson looks to have sorted out his tackling woes (only two misses so far), currently looking like the player that the Jaguars thought they drafted. Watch out though guys, Ed Reed is lurking.

Special Teams

Kicker: Josh Scobee (Jac), Punter: Shane Lechler (Oak), Returner: Antonio Brown (Pit), ST: Curtis Brown (Pit)

NFC (starters bolded)

Offense

Quarterbacks: Aaron Rodgers (GB), Drew Brees (NO) & Michael Vick (Phi)

Through all the problems in Philly, Michael Vick has actually played some pretty good football. Expect Matt Ryan to be close by the end.

Halfbacks: Matt Forte (Chi), LeSean McCoy (Phi) & Adrian Peterson (Min)

A fairly straightforward selection but in truth I was tempted by Ahmad Bradshaw who makes up ground on McCoy and Peterson at least with his outstanding pass protection.

Fullback: Jed Collins (NO)

We all expected Korey Hall to be the new fullback down south, but Collins has made this his own with a string of solid performances from week 4 onwards.

Tight Ends: Jimmy Graham (NO) & Jason Witten (Dal)

Nobody in the NFC is blocking worth a damn, but Graham is sure catching a lot of balls; over 200 yards more than the next best tight end. It was tough leaving out a rejuvenated Tony Gonzalez.

Wide Receivers: Calvin Johnson (Det), Steve Smith (Car), Greg Jennings (GB) & Hakeem Nicks (NYG)

Larry Fitzgerald is obviously close. Heaven knows what he’d do with a good QB.

Tackles: Jordan Gross, LT (Car), Tryon Smith, RT (Dal) & Jermon Bushrod (NO)

In the AFC Bushrod wouldn’t get close, but Bryan Bulaga’s lack of snaps means even an average performance gets a place on the bench in the NFC.

Guards: Carl Nicks, LG (NO), Josh Sitton, RG (GB) & Evan Mathis (Phi)

Same as last year for the starters. Incredible to think Mathis was available to all teams at the veteran minimum salary – hang your heads in shame NFL scouts.

Centers: Scott Wells (GB) & Ryan Kalil (Car)

If I were a betting man I say nothing moves at this position in the NFC though Max Unger in Seattle may have a few words with me on that front.

Defense

Defensive Ends: Justin Smith (SF), Jared Allen (Min) & Ray McDonald (SF)

It’s not just Smith on the 49ers line ripping things up, McDonald is just a step behind. Allen’s numbers speak loud and clear.

Defensive/Nose Tackles: Sedrick Ellis (NO), Jay Ratliff (Dal) & Ndamukong Suh (Det)

It’s nearly all default in the NFC as no one is playing that well. A run stuffer to keep your eye on though is Alan Branch in Seattle. The Seahawks do great things with other teams cast-offs.

Outside Linebackers: Clay Matthews (GB), DeMarcus Ware (Dal) & Sean Wetherspoon (Atl)

Here’s one new name to add to two “old” faithful servants of this position. If you want another have a look at Erin Henderson in Minnesota who is blowing stuff up in the running game.

Middle linebackers: Stephen Tulloch (Det) & Patrick Willis (SF)

Tulloch has been the real upgrade for the Lions while for the 49ers Willis continues to play at a ridiculously high level.

Cornerbacks: Carlos Rogers (SF), Brent Grimes (Atl) & Chris Gamble (Car)

Antoine Winfield is close to them all and this one will likely go to the wire.

Safeties: Kam Chancellor (Sea), Kenny Phillips (NYG) & Adrian Wilson (Arz)

Even heard the name Kam Chancellor? If he carries on playing like this you will many, many times.

Special Teams

Kicker: Mason Crosby (GB), Punter: Andy Lee (SF), Returner: Devin Hester (Chi), ST: Corey Graham (Chi)
Hello Daryl Smith haters.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
So one site says he's a top 3 AFC OLB and that validates your statement how?

http://www.talk-sports.net/nfl/sucks.aspx/Daryl_Smith

According to this site, he sucks.

swoosh

Reaction score
Nobody's a hater. They just don't think he's a top 10 LB, and rightfully so. He's not. Simple as that.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Joe Haden, the 2nd best CB in the NFL..

swoosh

Reaction score
Also, I love how Spoon is on the list, and you called me a homer for even putting him on the list (even though I said not everybody on the list was better than Smith), smh.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I didn't even notice Jabaal Sheard either on this list at first, beast.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I cant really take this list seriously

BJGE? Really? Brian Waters? Come on. Joseph? Nelson? TRYON SMITH? REALLY?!

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Corey Graham love. LOL

Should have probably made the team last year.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Yeah... Not sure how Reggie Nelson made the list... Lol. I mean he hasn't been horrible, but he hasn't been great either.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Six Saints on that list... :thumbsup:

Sedrick Ellis is getting better every year. Only one DT has more pressures than him and that's Suh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%