Packers sign Cedric Benson to one year deal

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
ESPN.com - The Packers have signed veteran running back Cedric Benson.

A league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that it's a one-year deal.

Benson, 29, spent the past four seasons with the Bengals, rushing for more than 1,000 yards each of the past three years.

Sportsguy9695

Reaction score
I just dont understand this signing it seems there getting older instead of younger

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
umm they don't have very much running back depth...what is there not to understand about this signing?

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's an excellent signing for the Pack.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Despite overtures from the Lions and Raiders, Cedric Benson opted to sign with the Packers.

"Both teams that needed backs," Benson said of his decision. "They talk about a Super Bowl around here, not about winning their first playoff game."

Benson insists he has a lot left to give the Packers despite carrying the ball more than 1,500 times over the past seven NFL seasons.

"I think I've got plenty," he said. "I still feel good. I'm still loose, I diet well and I train well and do the best I can to contribute to the longevity of my career as best I know how. And I think I've got plenty of years left. I feel great."
really wish we could have nabbed him. could have used the insurance

:ARGH:

Lake Louise

Reaction score
It would have been nice, but I'm fine without it happening. Although, fact that we passed on him, he'll probably want to do well against us. It's a good signing for the Pack.

Shaka

Reaction score
The thing about Cedric Benson is that Packer fans need to know that they are getting Cedric Benson, nobody else. That means you are getting an older running back who has lost his ability to be elusive, doesn't catch the ball well, doesn't block well and relies on power running to get an average of about 3.9 yards a carry.

He's insurance, but that's all he is.

Fans beware: He has 2,641 carries since high school. Compared to other runningbacks who fell apart in the NFL he's probably about to give out. Clinton Portis, arguably one of the best natural runners in our generation, ran the ball 2492 times before he completely fell apart. Fred Taylor had a combined 2534. Jamal Lewis, Corey Dillon, Edgerrin James - They all reached a point of deterioration between 2500 and 2800 carries. Shaun Alexander limped into a final 2888, a mark people expect Benson to approach if he is productive this year.

Last season he wasn't that solid either. He held up and hit 1,000 yards - but so did Orlandis Gary haha.

The guy ran for 76 yards on 22 carries against the St. Louis Rams late last season. He was handed a chance to prove he could hold his own when he couldn't reach 60 yards against the horrendous Indianapolis Colts. He can play, but so can 123 different running backs.

So this signing surprises me. It only signals that the Packers are in fact desperate - as they had to sign a guy who went unsigned by 32 teams this off-season for a reason.

Mavfatha

Green and Yellow Forever
Reaction score
He may not be a superstar but still a solid back, I for one am glad about this signing, can't wait to see him suiting up in the green and yellow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%