Owner: Coughlin Will Return In 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
ESPN - Tom Coughlin will return as the head coach of the Giants next season, according to co-owner John Mara.

"I believe in the guy. I believe in stability," said Mara. "The players play hard for him."

As to whether Coughlin will be offered a contract extension beyond 2011, Mara said: "That's a discussion for a later date."

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Right move in my opinion. The team had a good season, just had bad moments. You can't blame Coughlin for the collapse against Philly and all the turnovers this year.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
TWill is gonna be so pissed.

I think this is a fine move though. I mean look at his record. It wasn't bad by any means.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
LOL...FAIL

Why prolong the inevitable? This team has already peaked with what is currently in place. The NFC East isn't going to be any easier to compete in next season.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
LOL...FAIL

Why prolong the inevitable? This team has already peaked with what is currently in place. The NFC East isn't going to be any easier to compete in next season.
Agreed. Time for both parties to move on.

VC15

Reaction score
I knew deep down that John Mara didn't have the stones, I hoped that he would prove me wrong.

This division was OURS for the taking this year, and we fucked it up BIG time.

I'll hope for a lockout in 2011.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yeah, Mara wants to keep him but I wonder if Tisch feels the same way... hmmm

And like AE Said, Coughlin is still a good coach but he's taken this team as far as they can go. He's gotten the SB with them, but with this roster he probably can't do much more. Time to move on and find somebody who can take them to that next level.

Cowher 4 Coach 2011. Just cuz one co-owner says one thing doesn't mean he or the other co-owner won't change their minds in a week from now. Jerry Jones is living proof of that.

VC15

Reaction score
We're really stuck with this senile, non-coaching old fool for one more year...

BCRondo9

Reaction score
10-6 is not a record to be ashamed about, I think its fine to keep Coughlin for next year but I'm sure he will be o n the hot seat once again halfway through the season IMO.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I could easily see Coughlin making some adjustments, then the Giants would win those close games that they gave away. Improving their record higher than 10-6. Which isn't a bad record.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
well, their adjustments are simple to me actually:

1. Draft a Linebacker in first round. If they have to trade up to get a better pick, then do so.
2. Sign a veteran punter
3. Trade one of their offensive linemen. They have backups, and a young guy they drafted a few years back named Will Beatty. Kid has tremendous talent but always pushed into a backup role by a veteran. Well this year with all the injured linemen, Beatty has gotten some solid playing time and I think he's proven he can take the reigns as a starter from here on out.
4. Hire a new Special Teams coordinator. Something very overlooked, but not only has their punting sucked ass but their return and coverage teams have been downright awful.
5. Do to Ahmad Bradshaw what was done to Tiki Barber.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Coughlin was never going to get fired, the media in New York just likes to turn and twist things to make them look like its something when its not. Yea his team flopped down the stretch, but Coughlin is a good coach. You can only do so much when standing from the sidelines.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
well, their adjustments are simple to me actually:

1. Draft a Linebacker in first round. If they have to trade up to get a better pick, then do so.
2. Sign a veteran punter
3. Trade one of their offensive linemen. They have backups, and a young guy they drafted a few years back named Will Beatty. Kid has tremendous talent but always pushed into a backup role by a veteran. Well this year with all the injured linemen, Beatty has gotten some solid playing time and I think he's proven he can take the reigns as a starter from here on out.
4. Hire a new Special Teams coordinator. Something very overlooked, but not only has their punting sucked ass but their return and coverage teams have been downright awful.
5. Do to Ahmad Bradshaw what was done to Tiki Barber.
x2. I agree on everything you said. Maybe even add a good linebacker through free agency to improve that portion of the defense.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
I could see Chad Greenway in a Giants uni.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
The media definitely is the problem, create nothing but speculation that is nothing close to being the truth, I didn't think they would fire him.

VC15

Reaction score
I guess we can expect ANOTHER late-season collapse and two more losses to the Eagles next year, if there is no lockout.

Outside of 2007, Coughlin has done NOTHING to warrant a stay this long with the NYG.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wouldn't fire a coach who had a 10-6 record and barely missed the playoffs.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Keeping him isn't a reward. He's still under contract. The owners of the Giants aren't dickheads. They're loyal to their fans but also to their coaches. They reward him for brining the organization their 3rd Super Bowl Victory by letting his contract run out after finishing a season with 10 wins. Not many people thought they would do much -- i didnt think they'd even go 8-8 before the season started.

He's not being rewarded, but his leash is much shorter now.

Do you sue your landlord when a tornado hits your apartment? No.

So should you fire your coach who had a record over 500, and an overall record WELL over 500 in the last 4 years, just because Michael Vick pulled your heart out and ripped it to pieces? Not really.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
x2. I agree on everything you said. Maybe even add a good linebacker through free agency to improve that portion of the defense.
If Fewell leaves to be a head coach elsewhere... i wonder if the Giants would consider drafting a solid ILB and transfer to a 3-4 scheme.

Call me crazy... but... you have Cofield at NT, Tuck and Osi as your DEs, move Kiwanuka back to OLB and he'd pretty much be blitzing all the time anyway. Boley is the other OLB, and then you'd have Goff and the Drafted ILB as your two inside line backers.

Its kinda whacko but I think it could potentially be done. It would make all 3 DEs (Tuck, Osi, Kiwi) more effective and full-time starters, and JPP would be a sub for any of 'em to give a DE a breather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%