Oswalt wants out, asks Astros to trade him

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
HOUSTON (AP)—Astros ace Roy Oswalt(notes) wants out of Houston.

General manager Ed Wade said Oswalt’s agent, Bob Garber, contacted owner Drayton McLane earlier this week to make the request. When asked if it was a request or a demand, Wade said that distinction didn’t matter.

“Roy’s contract has a no-trade clause, not a trade-me clause,” Wade said. “There is no rule that allows a player in his contract status to demand a trade. So demand, request, hold your breath until you turn blue, it’s all the same. It’s acknowledged and noted.”

The 32-year-old Oswalt recently said he would be willing to waive his no-trade clause.

Wade said he wants to win with Oswalt on the Astros. Houston went into Friday night’s game against Tampa Bay with the worst record in the National League at 14-27.

McLane said the call came a few days ago and that there has been no movement by anyone in the organization since then. That doesn’t mean the team won’t consider the request in the future.

“I always consider everything that would make the Houston Astros better,” McLane said. “So we’ll certainly look at that, but we’ll look at a number of other things also.”

Oswalt has made nine straight quality starts to open the season but is 2-6 with a 2.66 ERA. He has gotten the lowest run support in the league.

McLane said he’s been around long enough that nothing surprises him and that he wasn’t disappointed by Oswalt’s request.

“No. Roy is like I am,” he said. “Do I want to win? Do I want to be a champion? Absolutely. And they want to win. So they want to know which direction we’re headed and that’s something we’ve got to consider … we have not played well and that raises questions.”

Astros manger Brad Mills(notes) learned of the situation less than two hours before Friday’s game. He doesn’t think it will take way from the team’s focus.

“I hadn’t even considered that,” he said. “I don’t think it should be a distraction at all. The guys are going to go out and play. They still have to perform. We’re professionals in how we go about our business and everything else.”

A team official said Oswalt had no comment on the matter before Friday’s game.

Teammate Lance Berkman(notes), who too has said he’d be open to waiving his no-trade clause in recent weeks, didn’t want to discuss Oswalt’s request.

“That’s his deal,” Berkman said. “I really don’t have anything to say.”

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wouldnt want to be on the astros either.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I can see this going down. I wonder what they'd actually get for him though

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Come to Detroit. That would be nastyyyyyy.

Enigma 61

Reaction score
I hear the Twins will give up a package with that Ramos guy (one of their best prospects) who is a catcher...I could see this work out seeing how MIN has a good amount of youth and HOU really looking for that. Only thing is, MIN isn't a contender like Oswalt wants.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They're contenders. With the addition of Oswalt, they would be a lot better. Their offense is crazy good and Oswalt hasn't been gettin any run suppport. I heard Washington is interested in him too which I find weird.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
TBH, I think the Tigers would do anything in their power to make sure the Twins do not acquire him. Cause that would mean the Twins basically win the division..

My friend told me he heard on the radio that we are actively pursuing Oswalt though, hope it's the truth.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
who do the Tigers have to part with?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
who do the Tigers have to part with?
Pitching prospects. Though it would probably involve Jacob Turner, which is something I probably wouldn't do. Turner is legit.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Radio Rumors are normally false.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
osealt won't come cheap.. mclane has already said he might even have him "overpriced".

but not sure how overpriced a guy of Oswalt's caliber is

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
As long as Minnesota or Chicago doesn't land him, I don't care.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pitching prospects. Though it would probably involve Jacob Turner, which is something I probably wouldn't do. Turner is legit.
Yeah I'm not too familiar with the Tigers farm system but I'd assume that it'd take a top pitching prospect. Or a top prospect in an otherwise "coveted" position i.e. the Twins' Ramos who is a catcher

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not too familiar with the Tigers farm system but I'd assume that it'd take a top pitching prospect. Or a top prospect in an otherwise "coveted" position i.e. the Twins' Ramos who is a catcher
Yeah they'd likely ask for Turner who is our #1, but we are extremely high on him.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Royals should do this with Greinke

Talk about getting a lot in return :D

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I hear the Twins will give up a package with that Ramos guy (one of their best prospects) who is a catcher...I could see this work out seeing how MIN has a good amount of youth and HOU really looking for that. Only thing is, MIN isn't a contender like Oswalt wants.
I really don't see how you don't think the Twins are contenders. They are leading the AL Central, and with Oswalt they become one of the scariest teams out there.

Also I have heard rumors that he would come to Texas. I think Texas might become a serious team if they get him.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
The Texas Rangers should make a move for Oswalt, this could really put them over the top in the AL West.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Astros pitcher Roy Oswalt wants to be traded, but is owed $31 million in salary through the 2011 season.

The club also holds a $12 million option for 2012 with a $2 million buyout clause. His high price tag makes a trade somewhat complicated.

The Houston Chronicle writes that the Dodgers, Mets and Yankees will likely be in the race.

In addition, the Braves, Reds, Nationals, White Sox and Phillies have an outside shot to land Oswalt.
Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wire...capping_oswalt_trade_scenarios/#ixzz0oylhfsli

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Basically teams who have money to spend, lol. I wanted to say the Mets but I didnt want to sound like a homer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%