Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz

mgh1985

Reaction score
Heck of a week for the Orioles. Got Ublado and Nelson Cruz for a combined $58,000,000 and got Yoon as well. Exciting time to be an Orioles fan!

mgh1985

Reaction score
Thomas-Panda-Saxby said:
Cant say they suck anymore :/

Yeah, they haven't sucked since 2011. Can't say the same about the Nationals anymore either.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
That's a good signing. I'm really shocked it took that long for Nelson to sign. 

mgh1985

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
That's a good signing. I'm really shocked it took that long for Nelson to sign. 

Me too. And Ervin Santana is still available as well. Really shocked he's still a free agent. 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Especially considering how fast guys like Peralta signed, just real surprised it took this long. 

Fucking Mets, could have gotten him on a decent price. 

mgh1985

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Especially considering how fast guys like Peralta signed, just real surprised it took this long. 

Fucking Mets, could have gotten him on a decent price. 

Speaking of the Mets, why haven't they signed Stephen Drew yet? He's pretty much fallen right into their laps. Would definitely be an upgrade for them.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
because they're morons. Instead of waiting it out and getting Drew and Cruz for like $15M combined per year, they spent $7M on Chris f-ing Young. 

Drew's not even that good, and I'm glad we didn't jump after him right away like everyone expected us to do, but he'd be a great clubhouse guy, an obvious upgrade at SS like you said, and he gives 110% every day. 

Instead we're focused on starting pitching, because apparently we don't already have Niese, Wheeler, Gee, Colon and 2 terrific prospects ready to be called up within a year. 

mgh1985

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
because they're morons. Instead of waiting it out and getting Drew and Cruz for like $15M combined per year, they spent $7M on Chris f-ing Young. 

They did get a pretty good deal on Bartolo Colon though. Draft-pick compensation might be a reason why they weren't interested in those two guys.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cruz is a cheater and hasn't been good in 4 years. 

Not to mention how much worse he's been away from Texas.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I always forget about the draft pick compensation. I did like the Colon signing. A lot of other Mets fans criticized it and I had to point out that he's still got phenomenal command and I think he's thrown 1 wild pitches and 1 hit batter in the last 2 years. That's pretty insane considering his age. 

And in a pitchers park, he'll do well this year. Idk about the 2nd year, but i'll take what we can get if he performs well this year, which I expect him to. Guy's a workhorse. 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Teagz said:

100 HRs in the last 4 years seems good. Ops .833 last year. I'd say thats good despite him being a cheater. 

Not saying he's a superstar or anything, but he would have been an upgrade for the Mets considering they gave an almost identical salary to Chris Young who is much worse. 

Thomas-Panda-Saxby

Reaction score
Teagz said:

Hasnt been good in four years? =O

mgh1985

Reaction score
Teagz said:

"Cruz is a cheater and hasn't been good in 4 years." False. Was good in 2013 (albeit PED aided) and was still good in 2011 and 2012. 

"Not to mention how much worse he's been away from Texas." You're forgetting he's moving from Texas to Camden Yards. OPACY is a hitter-friendly park. 

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The one good year he had was in 2010. He's been average every other year in his career.

mgh1985

Reaction score
Teagz said:
The one good year he had was in 2010. He's been average every other year in his career.

Once again, false. Let's look at his OPS+ each year since 2010 (100 is league average):

2011: 113 OPS
2012: 104 OPS (though he played injured if I recall)
2013: 123 OPS 

If he's playing the outfield, you might be able to make a case that he's average because his defense is that bad. If he's a DH, he's definitely above average. 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Im not saying he's been a star, I'm saying he's an upgrade, and a very good upgrade at $8Mil for one year. 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
And now I'd think Morales will sign soon. And probably for a similar salary. Still can't believe he turned down that QO. 

mgh1985

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
And now I'd think Morales will sign soon. And probably for a similar salary. Still can't believe he turned down that QO. 

The Mariners screwed him over by offering him it. 

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
mgh1985 said:

"Cruz is a cheater and hasn't been good in 4 years." False. Was good in 2013 (albeit PED aided) and was still good in 2011 and 2012. 

"Not to mention how much worse he's been away from Texas." You're forgetting he's moving from Texas to Camden Yards. OPACY is a hitter-friendly park. 
What the hell is your definition of good? There's a reason nobody wanted this guy.

He's been average in just about every category since 2011 and this was while he was on the juice. 

Plus this article http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-frightening-list-of-nelson-cruz-comparisons/ suggests that he's bound to fall off a cliff. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%