Nola's Post Regular Season NBA Mock Lottery - V1

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Regular season ended yesterday, so figured why not put out a lottery mock?

1. Milwaukee Bucks: Andrew Wiggins, SF, Kansas
Any of Wiggins, Jabari Parker, or Joel Embiid can go here right now. Parker may be more ready for the league right now, and Embiid's back injury slips him down a bit, but Wiggins is the top prospect in this class right now. Bucks drafted Giannis Antetokounmpo last season, but they can't pass up Wiggins here. Though if a red flag with Embiid's back is not raised here, it's easy to see him going first over all and Milwaukee attempting to ship out Larry Sanders.

2. Philadelphia 76ers: Jabari Parker, SF, Duke
Philly traded Jrue Holiday for the 6th pick that landed them Nerlens Noel last season. Noel did not appear in a single game this season, but you would have to think drafting another center is off the table. Which leaves Parker as the only real option left.

3. Orlando Magic: Joel Embiid, C, Kansas
It could be argued that which ever team ends up with the third pick takes the remaining player out of Wiggins, Parker, and Embiid, regardless of position of need. The Magic already have a very good young center in Nikola Vucecic, but he will be going into the last year of his original four year rookie deal so it gives Orlando some options. If Embiid's back does raise some red flags, perhaps Dante Exum, Marcus Smart, or Tyler Ennis are options here, and hell even if Embiid's back is cleared maybe one of those three guards could still be the pick if they like Vucecic enough.

4. Utah Jazz: Dante Exum, G, Australia
Utah is in kind of a tough spot because of the young guys they have on the roster. Trey Burke, Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, etc. So where does that leave you? I'm personally of the belief that Burke lacks some of the necessary qualities of an above average NBA point guard and that he'll be forever stuck in the realm of mediocrity. So is Exum a upgrade to Burke? Or is he a backcourt mate to him? Either way, doesn't matter.

5. Boston Celtics: Marcus Smart, G, Oklahoma State
This was easily the toughest pick so far. I felt the need to go Randle, but is Randle such a great value at 5 that you can't stand to pass on him even when you already have Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk? So Celts go Smart, who like Exum is more of a combo guard than an actual PG.

6. Los Angeles Lakers: Julius Randle, PF, Kentucky
Lakers need a lot of help, so they go BPA with Julius Randle. Randle has a lot of skills, but does have some concerns as well. I see him as a Zach Randolph type.

7. Sacramento Kings: Noah Vonleh, PF, Indiana
Ah, Sacramento. Three 20+ ppg scorers but they still find themselves in the mid lotto. Vonleh seems like a really good fit alongside DeMarcus Cousins. He will be a project, but there are some skills that will allow him to fit right in. Problem being, there are some things that will just be "more of the same" for a Sacramento draft pick, but he's young and I believe in Mike Malone. I wouldn't be shocked if he goes above seven on draft day.

8. Detroit Pistons: Gary Harris, SG, Michigan State
Think it's important to remember that whoever takes over for Joe Dumars and company did not draft Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. It may seem harsh to "give up" on him already, but that wouldn't really be what's going on. I love Harris, and like Vonleh I wouldn't be surprised if he was gone by the time the Pistons are on the clock.

9. Cleveland Cavaliers: Doug McDermott, F, Creighton
I wanted to go Dario Saric here, but I'm just not sold that the Cavaliers brass will be high on drafting a guy that will likely not come over next season, and possibly not even the season after that. So that made this pick a little difficult. Kyrie will keep them away from Ennis, Anthony Bennett will keep them away from Aaron Gordon. So I decided to go with McDermott, purely because of the way he can stretch the floor and make life easier for guys like Irving, Waiters, and Cleveland's bigs.

10. Philadelphia 76ers: Aaron Gordon, F, Arizona
I'm not sure where Gordon fits in Philly, but I go back to what Brett Brown said about Henry Sims' and his desire to play defense, "I want to hug him, start crying and have him over for dinner." I think Gordon will bring that out in Brown and more.

11. Denver Nuggets: Zach LaVine, G, UCLA
This one is tough because what does Denver need? They have Lawson and Robinson, and are overstocked in the front court. Plus Foye and Fournier at the two guard. So I think Denver may want to select the third combo guard of this class in Zach LaVine. I don't think he's a PG, but more of a scorer who can make plays off the dribble and also shoot from the outside.

12. Orlando Magic: Tyler Ennis, PG, Syracuse
Magic receive the less favorable of the Nuggets or Knicks picks, so here they find themselves with another pick in the lottery at #12. They selected Joel Embiid with the 3rd pick, but I stated they may find themselves thinking about selecting a guard like Exum, Smart, or Ennis at #3. Good thing they didn't, because after a minor slip they have Tyler Ennis fall into their laps.

13. Minnesota Timberwolves: James Young, SF, Kentucky
Minnesota adds another talented offensive player. Whether they need that or not may be up for debate, but the circumstances surrounding that team is so weird that any pick seems to be in line with what they could do come draft day.

14. Phoenix Suns: Dario Saric, F, Croatia
Phoenix was supposed to have picked a number of picks ago, but they messed around and won a few ball games this season. Season ended in disappointment, but they're a young team that has some pieces they could expand on. That doesn't mean they don't have room to improve on right away though. They could use additonal wing depth, more depth at SF, and possibly even PF. Judging by the versatile players (or tweeners) they have on the roster, they like those kind of guys so Dario Saric should be in play. He fits everything I described above.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not really huge on Harris, but we are pretty much handcuffed into taking either a 2 or a 3. Unless we think we can move Jennings.

I'm hoping Smart slides though.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
id love if smart slid down. id he alright with harris too.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
RipCity32 said:
Not really huge on Harris, but we are pretty much handcuffed into taking either a 2 or a 3. Unless we think we can move Jennings.
I'm hoping Smart slides though.
Who would you prefer in this scenario?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
In the scenario that we don't get a Top 3 pick, we will most likely trade out of the pick. I wouldn't be surprised if the deal was something like Bogans' non-guaranteed contract + Faverani + #4-5 overall to Orlando for Afflalo + #12.

But if we don't trade out, I can't see us taking Smart. Rondo is our star player, and Pressey has been a solid enough of a backup PG for us to not have a glaring hole at the point. I think at #5 we would take Vonleh to play C, although I personally don't love that move at all. But I don't see Smart being in our plans, unless Rondo is dealt as well.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
In the scenario that we don't get a Top 3 pick, we will most likely trade out of the pick. I wouldn't be surprised if the deal was something like Bogans' non-guaranteed contract + Faverani + #4-5 overall to Orlando for Afflalo + #12.

But if we don't trade out, I can't see us taking Smart. Rondo is our star player, and Pressey has been a solid enough of a backup PG for us to not have a glaring hole at the point. I think at #5 we would take Vonleh to play C, although I personally don't love that move at all. But I don't see Smart being in our plans, unless Rondo is dealt as well.
Agreed. Makes too much sense not too.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Orlando isn't trading a 28 year old Afflalo to move up seven spots to number five.

Shouldn't Boston be trading the pick no matter what, since they think the draft sucks?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
Who would you prefer in this scenario?
IDK it's tough to say.
I like Ennis, and maybe even Gordon even though he is a PF. Also LOVE James Young.
I just didn't like what I saw at all from Harris when I seen him against Michigan.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pistons can't afford to take Gordon, IMO.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Probably not. Unless they are 100% sure they can move Smith. We do desperately need a backup big though.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And I like Gordon too. Think he can be Shawn Marion like defensively.

And what specifically did you not like about Harris? He averaged 21 a game on 50% shooting.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He just seemed to disappear from games, going long stretches where you didn't hear his name called. Granted his stats don't reflect on that, even against Michigan he had some great games. But I didn't watch those games and think to myself, "wow this kid is special." 

Could be my anti-MSU bias. I plan to watch more tape on him as we get closer to the draft, because it is a pretty real possibility that we do take him if he is there. My opinion of him could certainly change from now to then.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's not a ball dominant player and doesn't require the ball in his hands to succeed. That's why you don't hear his name called as often, that and he isn't an overwhelming athlete. Great in catch and shoot. Definitely has to improve with the ball in his hands, but certainly has shown to be able to succeed in those situations. Plays good defense, moves the ball on offense, unselfish.

The lack of athleticism is part of the reason he isn't really a huge threat to create offense, but I think he can be a fantastic secondary or third scorer on a good team.

Definitely one of my favorites in the draft. Weird, because I usually advocate the athletes who don't have what he has lol.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Also fwiw, Orlando probably takes Exum; they really like him with Dipo

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Marcus Smart & Rondo together throwing up bricks would harm a backboard.

I like the Ennis fit with the magic though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%