nolas mock v2

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
In between the tackles? The Irish had one of the most impressive fronts in the entire nation with Tuitt and Nix. In fact, those were the guys that really made that Irish go this year. They consistently were occupied by double teams, and this is why Te'o had a ton of free range to step up and make plays. Those guys are both animals. If you want to compare that front to the likes of say, Brown's front at K-State, it is absolutely night and day.

Leadership? Right.. Let's slam a guy into the first round because of his leadership qualities. That worked out for the Broncos with Tim Tebow, right? Please man. I love the intagibles that he brings to the table, but you can't ignore some of the blatant deffiences you see when you watch him closely. I'd challenge you to show me a series of plays where Manti is able to get off the block successfully, and then make the tackle on the runner. He gets washed out way too easily. And it has been a glaring problem since he broke onto the scene at ND.

Pass coverage? Absolutely. He's taken a monster leap this year. I can't argue that. The interceptions were a lot of plays, as you eluded to, with him being in the right position. It's hard to knock a guy for that.

Regardless, I am not sold on him being a sure-fire first round guy. Especially when you can get tremendous production from players that emerge out of nowhere. See Freeman with the Colts this year, and even Angerer a few seasons ago. Picking a MLB/ILB high is risky business.
Yes yes yes. I was arguing all throughout the Te'o Heisman campaign that he wasn't even the best player in the Notre Dame front seven, let alone the best defensive player in college football. Nix was the anchor of that defense, and was a large reason why that run defense was so impressive, and Tuitt was the best overall player on that defense. Te'o was the guy that benefited most from their presence, and put up the numbers.

The kid is a great leader, and has all the intangibles you'd want from a football player, but he doesn't possess any elite physical skills that you want from an inside linebacker that would warrant him being a top 10-15 pick.

Mooche

Reaction score
Yes yes yes. I was arguing all throughout the Te'o Heisman campaign that he wasn't even the best player in the Notre Dame front seven, let alone the best defensive player in college football. Nix was the anchor of that defense, and was a large reason why that run defense was so impressive, and Tuitt was the best overall player on that defense. Te'o was the guy that benefited most from their presence, and put up the numbers.

The kid is a great leader, and has all the intangibles you'd want from a football player, but he doesn't possess any elite physical skills that you want from an inside linebacker that would warrant him being a top 10-15 pick.
Hit the nail on the head my friend.

If my team is running the 34 defense, and he is sitting there on the board in the middle of the second let's say, I'd be comfortable with that pick. Like I mentioned, he has improved in pass coverage, and I do like all that he brings to a defense. He is damn fiery.

People need to stop sleeping on Brown. Watch him against Miami if you want a small sample size. That guy can ball.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I still got Ogletree higher on my Board than Brown, simply because Ogletree is a great in coverage, and can be taught to play the run with his great speed, but Brown is definitely the most complete LB in the Draft

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Curious as to why you're thinking the Chiefs opt for O-Line with first overall?

LOVE & PRAY for Ogletree to the Vikings. And I swear, if Minny even sniffs Te'o in the first round....I'll turn in my purple. Guys is undersized, overhyped, and probably gay. Not that being gay makes him any less of a football player but I don't want that fake g/f, cover up shit anywhere near our locker room. It's weird, nobody really understands it, and it's best to just leave it alone.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Why wouldn't the Chiefs draft Joeckel?

Albert is a free agent and saves them $11M in cap by not re-signing him, and Joeckel is probably better then him anyways.

KC is rebuilding, and the best way to re-build is through a franchise LT or a franchise QB. And Geno Smith is nothing special, and being hyped the fuck over because of Cam/RGIII/Kaep's success as a mobile QB that can throw the ball accurately. Smith isn't nearly as mobile as the 3, and his big games from last year were versus shitty defenses. Yes, Geno was impressive against Kansas, going 23-24 for 407 yards. But thats the 1-11 Jayhawks, who allowed 41+ points in a game in 50% of the games they played. That defense was horrendous.

Joeckel + Wilson/Bray/Glennon/Barkley in Round 2 is much better value than Smith+Poyer

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Albert is a free agent and saves them $11M in cap by not re-signing him, and Joeckel is probably better then him anyways.

KC is rebuilding, and the best way to re-build is through a franchise LT or a franchise QB. And Geno Smith is nothing special, and being hyped the fuck over because of Cam/RGIII/Kaep's success as a mobile QB that can throw the ball accurately. Smith isn't nearly as mobile as the 3, and his big games from last year were versus shitty defenses. Yes, Geno was impressive against Kansas, going 23-24 for 407 yards. But thats the 1-11 Jayhawks, who allowed 41+ points in a game in 50% of the games they played. That defense was horrendous.

Joeckel + Wilson/Bray/Glennon/Barkley in Round 2 is much better value than Smith+Poyer

Name the last new regime with the first overall who didn't draft a quarterback with the first overall.

I have a hunch this Joeckel at #1 talk is all about Chris Mortenson hopping off the Geno Smith bandwagon..which is fine....but this is so reminiscent of Daquan Bowers suddenly being mocked at first overall a few years back, instead of Cam Newton. No way in hell Andy Reid begins his tenure in KC with an O-Lineman.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Name the last new regime with the first overall who didn't draft a quarterback with the first overall.
2008 Miami Dolphins

Hires Parcells as VP of Football Operations, Ireland as GM, and Sparano as HC

Drafts OT Jake Long 1st Overall

•Only team in NFL History to make playoffs the year after having 1 win
•Largest win difference between two seasons in NFL History (2012 Colts are #2)
•One of two teams to make the playoffs under current division formats after having the #1 overall pick (2012 Colts being other)

Seems like a good decision to me

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
2008 Miami Dolphins

Hires Parcells as VP of Football Operations, Ireland as GM, and Sparano as HC

Drafts OT Jake Long 1st Overall

•Only team in NFL History to make playoffs the year after having 1 win
•Largest win difference between two seasons in NFL History (2012 Colts are #2)
•One of two teams to make the playoffs under current division formats after having the #1 overall pick (2012 Colts being other)

Seems like a good decision to me
Good call; leave it to Parcells.

Might I point out where the team has gone since that one playoff appearance & the fact Jake Long's tenure in Miami is over. This is Andy Reid we're talking about here....just take a look at what his teams typically looked like in Philly. Flashy quarterback, weak offensive line............it's not like Andy is going to change up the way he likes to assemble his teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%