New Big 10 Logo, Divisions

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

New Big Ten Logo and Division Names Revealed…With a Thud

So the new logo for the Big Ten, which is now a necessity since the conference has 12 teams, was revealed today. Based on the Twitter reaction immediately upon the new logo’s announcement, most people seem to think of it what I do.

Not much.

I don’t know exactly what I don’t like about it; I’ll need to ruminate and look at it a bit more. But my first impression is just that I am completely unimpressed.

It is boring and without any character whatsoever. And what is the point of the #1 in the middle of Big? I suppose it is meant to signify the Big Ten’s superiority, but it just seems lame. I could go on and on, but just look at it. What did that take, 15 minutes to design in MS Paint?

Update: Ah, I get it now. The 1 and the G are supposed to look like a 10. Whatever. Still don’t like it.

From the official press release at BigTenNetwork.com:

The new Big Ten logo was developed by Michael Bierut and Michael Gericke of the international design firm Pentagram.
New Division Names

And the divisions are going to be called “Leaders” and “Legends”…seriously.

Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Northwestern are the “Legends” while Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, and Wisconsin are the “Leaders.”

And all of the Big Ten conference will now be a “Laughingstock” as word circulates about these horrendous choices.

Please, someone wake me up from this should-be-an-Onion story nightmare. What is happening to my conference?

Trophies

Another feature will be an extensive series of football trophies. This idea I do somewhat like, and I love seeing Anthony Thompson and Antwaan Randle El get recognition, but the hyphenated names seem about as clumsy as the “Leaders”/”Legends” thing. I’ll give them a pass on this though, because as a good Purdue friend of mine said, “at least they were thinking outside the box.” And I’m in favor of honoring past greats, so at least this part wasn’t a complete debacle.

What do you think? And please, dissenting voices chime in with a comment. Make me feel better about this.
The "Leaders" and "Legends" division!?! What the f*** are the people at the Big 10 smoking? Logo sucks too.

Dorado

LiveLoveA$AP
Reaction score
ROFLWAFFLE

With a beast of conference they have they couldve at least made a better logo.

Old Logo>>>>>>New Logo

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Those 2 guys who made that logo should be fired and i'm not even going to say anything about the Division names.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
So they're still sticking with "Big 10"?

There's twelve teams now...they got away with it for years with eleven. I assumed they would finally change the name.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wow, that is dumb. Legends and Leaders....wow.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
So they're still sticking with "Big 10"?

There's twelve teams now...they got away with it for years with eleven. I assumed they would finally change the name.
Change it to what...the Big 12?

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I wouldn't of changed the logo and there were much better names for the divisions they could of went with. One a lot of people liked, myself included, were "Bo" and "Woody" but I guess they considered that disrespectful to the other 10 teams. There was also one about something with the Lakes, but they didn't like it because of the geographical difference(aka Nebraska). This is just embarrassing.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They could probably just switch names with the Big 12. lol
That would be way too confusing in reference to the history books. I don't mind keeping the name "Big 10". Too much rich history behind that name to dump it. Logo and division names are just a joke though.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jim Delany is reconsidering the names for the Big 10 divisions, thank god lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%