Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No actually you dont

However, no adjustment can be made without going back in and renegotiating the deal – which runs through 2011 – with the union no more in favor of age rules than before.

Lance will be in the league before this takes effect
AMAZING!

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You do know money corrupts right?

Theres the cars, clothes, jewelery, mansions, etc they'll buy
With the culture they live in, their is a major emphasis on spending money. Today's culture is about getting big houses, fast cars, and throwing out wads of cash.

I believe PM7 is on the right track just with the wrong point. Two years of college will help, not because of the education they are getting there, because we all know that isn't happening there. But what it is about is that they are getting to get 2 more years of maturity. Really getting out of a high school environment where popularity is measured in what you got. Also getting away from High School friends (who end up being the moochers most of the time) is also a good thing. So I really like this rule.

K.G

Reaction score
Two things:

1. What if a high prospect gets a career ending injury in college.
2. Do you guys really think these guys are getting an education in college?
I am think the rule is 6 hours per semester. You want to know what there schedule will probably for first two years:
First Year Fall: Intro to Biology, P.E.
First Year Spring: Freshman English, College Algebra
Second Year Fall and spring: some intro class or some random ass elective.

So don't give me the BS these players are getting an education. Its just good for your schools, it doesnt help the players at all.

edit: Is it just college or can it be Europe. If so its time for these hs prospects to go to Europe for two years. Atleast they get paid there

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
1. What if a high prospect gets a career ending injury in college.
What if someone gets injured early in there NBA career, because they weren't taught conditioning right in High School. What if a NBA Player gets shot, because he was flashing all his new earned cashed. I don't know about you, but I'm 18, and I have some friends with a bit of cash. They flash it every chance they got. What if the guy they are flashing it to, doesn't like it, and stabs them? The what ifs are endless.

The true story is that the difference in maturity between an 18 year old and a 20 year old, is pretty big for a lot of people. 2 years in college will bring maturity to a lot of people, and that's what is needed if you are going to be a professional athlete.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
Its there decision to leave or stay

K.G

Reaction score
When you go into the NBA you will become mature no matter what. Playing with all these pros and vets on your team, you will learn a lot of stuff that rookie year. I dont know about you but I was pretty mature coming out of HS and I was only 17. I knew what my goals were, and had fun in college but made sure i was aiming towards my goals. And these players have the capability of doing that if they go to the NBA straight from HS. If some people do commit to the party life and fade away cause of stupid decision then thats Survival of the fittest. If you cant take care of your <Censored> you do not deserve to stay anyway. Like the guy before me said though, I dont care if players want to go to college, it should not be mandatory thats all.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I havent heard anything about this until now, and I hate it,=.

Everyone says "get your education" but seriously do you know how college athletes and class work? you obviously dont if you think their actually learning something. I go to a small HBCU and they still get special treatment. A good friend of mine played for our basketball team, and we had African American Studies together and he was told all he has to do is show up for ss and he passes.

Now thats for a player who wasnt even considered a prospect for the draft, what do you think their doing for the guys who are expected to be the next great thing?

Another thing is injuries, what happens if one of these kids gets injured during the mandatory two years?

Bad idea, should have just kept things the way they were....

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I havent heard anything about this until now, and I hate it,=.

Everyone says "get your education" but seriously do you know how college athletes and class work? you obviously dont if you think their actually learning something. I go to a small HBCU and they still get special treatment. A good friend of mine played for our basketball team, and we had African American Studies together and he was told all he has to do is show up for ss and he passes.

Now thats for a player who wasnt even considered a prospect for the draft, what do you think their doing for the guys who are expected to be the next great thing?

Another thing is injuries, what happens if one of these kids gets injured during the mandatory two years?

Bad idea, should have just kept things the way they were....
Its actually true. I watched a show on TV were D1 potential football player gets special treatment from teachers during the football seasons in HS. Basketball is just as bad. Even there teachers joke about them buying them benz or a nice car. Its a money prosper world. But the NBA did need to implement this rule because it will make the league stronger.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
I think I know why stern wants to Imply this, Look at Michael Beasley...
Already Getting Fined.....

But why I think this is Good, is it's wasting College's Money and Recruits/Prospects...

I would rather good after players who are willing and are commited to playing in college for 3 plus Years. Why go after a kid who's only going to play 1 season when you can you recruit a person who's willing to play for more than that. Like I said....THEY should let kids come Straight from HS if the choose to..BUT if they decide to go to college they must go for more 1 year...

K.G

Reaction score
Is the new rule: you have to have 2 years of college? or 2 years of anything after HS, if so these players might want to start going to Europe. You get experience in a different culture while making money and playing the game you love most

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
This won't happen till after 2011.....UNLESS the NBA goes back and revise the contract with the NCAA

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think I know why stern wants to Imply this, Look at Michael Beasley...
Already Getting Fined.....

But why I think this is Good, is it's wasting College's Money and Recruits/Prospects...

I would rather good after players who are willing and are commited to playing in college for 3 plus Years. Why go after a kid who's only going to play 1 season when you can you recruit a person who's willing to play for more than that. Like I said....THEY should let kids come Straight from HS if the choose to..BUT if they decide to go to college they must go for more 1 year...
You must not know how things work . Most top 15-20 kids are being told they can compete in the league. You gotta have that 1 year guy.

K.G

Reaction score
And you guys keep talking about how the players are all about the money. So what are the schools all about, they arent getting thse 1 and done or 2 and done so they can win championships. Beasley gets money for Kansas State, Carmelo got money for Syracuse, OJ Mayo gets money for USC. They dont care if he leaves in 1 or 2 years the chances of winning a championship with one great player on your team in college is hard, so its all about the money for the colleges too

collyflower

Reaction score
i can see and understand the arguements for implementing the rule but i still think that the one year rule shouldn't have even been put in place. the players dont do any study in college and your just holding back players who deserve to be in the NBA. these guys could easily get fed up with competing against inferior talent which would stunt their development seems their not getting challenged and lose motivation which wont come back in the NBA

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
When you go into the NBA you will become mature no matter what. Playing with all these pros and vets on your team, you will learn a lot of stuff that rookie year. I dont know about you but I was pretty mature coming out of HS and I was only 17. I knew what my goals were, and had fun in college but made sure i was aiming towards my goals. And these players have the capability of doing that if they go to the NBA straight from HS. If some people do commit to the party life and fade away cause of stupid decision then thats Survival of the fittest. If you cant take care of your <Censored> you do not deserve to stay anyway. Like the guy before me said though, I dont care if players want to go to college, it should not be mandatory thats all.
When you have millions of dollars you don't really spend time "maturing". You spend your time spending WAY to much money, and not making wise investments at all. After 2 years of living on your own, your learn to spend money a bit more wisely then you do right after being freed from your parents grasp.

Kevin Durant has personally said that the one year he spend at Texas thought him so much about becoming mature, and investing his money wisely.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The ONLY thing I like about the rule now and the new rule that might happen is..
They get a little but of a education. BUT I don't like the rule now and I think they should be allowed to come out of HS.

Oh well, this will help so who cares really. Good rule, don't like it but it's good.

Hoffa

Reaction score
This is stupid, the 19 year old rule is stupid enough. If you are 18 and you wnat to go out and make money, and your skills to making money is basketball then you should be able to play in the NBA, as long as your an adult.
100% Agree. David Stren is a douche-bag!

Everything Turns To Nothing .
Reaction score
I don't like the current age limit rule..... One year isn't enough. If you agree to go to college it should be 2-3 years, not 1 and done.

They may be great basketball players, but say they get an injury really early in their career... They have nothing to fall back on except for McDonald's. Maybe they go to college for a few years, get their degree, and then start making decent money... Whereas if they did it right the first time they wouldn't have this problem.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
College is a CHOICE.

the NBA shouldnt have a say in what someone has to do after H.S. that isnt their decision to make. If a player decides to make the jump and doesnt succeed, then thats just how it goes. Thats what endorsement deals are for, thats what contracts are for. To ensure you make money. If a player does end up getting hurt, a team cant terminate his contract just because of an injury.

I doubt we'll ever see a NBA star working at McDonalds/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%