NBA to Change Playoffs Format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Per ESPN
The NBA is toying with an playoff format in which the division leader gets to pick thier first round opponent.

So for Example, in the east Clevland would have first pick since thier overall record in the east is best, then boston and orlando depending on how they finish, the fourth overall team would be stuck with whoevers left. They are feild testing it in the D league, and it will eventuly come before the competition comittee.

It is a thoroughly intriguing idea once you get past the initial shock. The regular season would certainly mean more if we went to a pick-your-opponent scheme because division titles would mean more, compared to the present setup, in which divisional races are fairly pointless. You could argue that playoff-bound teams outside the top four in each conference would have less to play for late in the season without any formal seedings to clinch, but there would also no longer be any incentive for teams to try to tank their way into a more favorable first-round matchup based on standard seedings, as we sometimes see.

Best of all?

The various permutations involved in trying to forecast which teams might chose whom would pump some needed intrigue into an 82-game season that is often slammed for being too long. The disrespect factor -- inflicted upon teams sitting 5 through 8 that get hand-picked by a higher seed which basically just told the world it wants to play that team -- pumps in even more intrigue. Furthermore, the actual process of finalizing first-round matchups would finally give the NBA its own version of the college game's Selection Sunday. Which certainly couldn't hurt.
-READ MORE-

This is really interesting.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
It is an interesting idea, but i`m not a big fan of it either.

PiStoL31PeTe

Baller For Life
Reaction score
leave it the way it is theres nothing wrong wth it now plus its not a great idea.

stavi

Reaction score
yea, I don't like the idea of the "bigger" teams picking thier oppents for the playoffs.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think the top 16 seeds in the whole league would be more beneficiary

tilley

Reaction score
i say go with it... idk why i love the idea but its exciting and very intriguing.. i think the playoffs are way to long as is, and this will make much better matchups second round on.. my vote? aye..

stavi

Reaction score
it would been the same length wouldnt it? nvm you the 16 team

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
thats too short dont you think snowy?

.s31t

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Really interesting idea but I don't think it will work.

NWA

Reaction score
this would be dumb as <Censored> but they should change it they should have it 1-1-1-3 yea my nig then you know whats up only the best team would come out on top

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
'if it aint broke don't fix it'

wade3

The T.O of SI
Reaction score
Nice try, but you fail again NBA, we (or atleast i) still know your rigged!

_roboy

Reaction score
I like the idea TBH... This way, the stronger teams get get by easier so another Dallas vs. GS won't happen again. But I don't think it'll translate exactly how they want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%