Nationals tried to lure Greinke with huge extension

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated is reporting that the Nationals tried to lure Zack Greinke to Washington by offering him a contract extension following a trade from Kansas City.

Greinke still rejected the Nationals, instead accepting a trade to the Brewers.

Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/23088/20110103/nationals_tried_to_lure_greinke_with_huge_extension/#ixzz1A0QX5kR4

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
The Nationals are just throwing money around this offseason, but at least someone else realizes there is more then just money.

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
The Nationals have no chance in the NL East. Spending 120 mil+ on Werth and now they are nearing a deal with Adam LaRoche (9-10 mil per year) is just crazy and stupid. They don't have the pitching staff to contend with the Phils, and the Braves are gonna be very good as well.

They should have just kept their money and spend it when their prospects are ready to compete in the big leagues.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
The Nationals have no chance in the NL East. Spending 120 mil+ on Werth and now they are nearing a deal with Adam LaRoche (9-10 mil per year) is just crazy and stupid. They don't have the pitching staff to contend with the Phils, and the Braves are gonna be very good as well.

They should have just kept their money and spend it when their prospects are ready to compete in the big leagues.
x2 Strasburg and Harper could demand a shit load if they work out.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
The Nationals will always have to overspend to get quality talent to play in Washington. They have never been good and they cant fill their stadium to the capacity that they need to compete with the Braves and Phillies. First they must change the culture and they are improving upon that, next they have to have a decent team to attract other star players and at this moment not many want to go there.

BCRondo9

Reaction score
.....reminds me of Jayson Werth. Couldnt have imagined what they would be paying Greinke though.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
I would not want to fuck with a rotation that had Strasburg and Greinke at the top of it.

BCRondo9

Reaction score
I would not want to fuck with a rotation that had Strasburg and Greinke at the top of it.
Agreed, its a shame that Strasburg is going to be out for most of the regular season. I really enjoyed watching him pitch and dominate hitters like he did at such a young age. Can't wait for five years in the future.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Yeah, his debut was one of my favorite baseball moments of 2010. There was so much hype and he lived up to it.

tbuc

Reaction score
Living in the DC area, I would have loved to see Greinke in a Nats uni.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
They were throwing money at everybody in every direction. Bet the Nationals fans like to see that. Even if not all the deals get done. For them to show the aggressiveness would be comforting. Letting them know they care, or at least give them the illusion they do. I don't like the Nationals really, but I don't hate them. I just don't like seeing them constantly struggle.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
They were throwing money at everybody in every direction. Bet the Nationals fans like to see that. Even if not all the deals get done. For them to show the aggressiveness would be comforting. Letting them know they care, or at least give them the illusion they do. I don't like the Nationals really, but I don't hate them. I just don't like seeing them constantly struggle.
They've always been willing to spend, just no one was willing to go there. They had a very significant offer out there to Teixeira when he was a FA and were supposedly in on Cliff Lee as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%