Morris to start at QB for Miami

Mooche

Reaction score
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Jacory Harris will play a big role for Miami this week. Just not as the Hurricanes' quarterback.

That job still belongs to Stephen Morris.

When No. 24 Miami hosts Virginia Tech (No. 16 BCS, No. 14 AP) on Saturday with the Atlantic Coast Conference's Coastal Division championship possibly hinging on the outcome, Morris will be making his third straight start -- while Harris will be helping from the sideline, still recovering from a concussion that has kept him out since Oct. 30.

"Concussions are serious," Miami coach Randy Shannon said Tuesday. "And a lot of fans, a lot of media, bloggers, you all think it's a deal where you can just line up and take one week off and the next week show up and play. It's not that way. ... Speaking impediments, brain aneurysms, all kinds of things can happen. I think a lot of fans and a lot of people want to say, 'What is Coach going to do?' It's not that. I'm looking at what is best for Jacory. It's not what's best for Randy Shannon or this football team."

What a decline for Harris. He could never get this consistency down pat, and his INT problems were just huge. I don't see why Miami would make a change if this Morris kid is playing well and leading the team well.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jacory has a noodle arm. His INT problems stem from that almost exclusively. At least three times a game he'll lob a floating punt to the other team trying to hit our SHORTEST receiver downfield for a jump ball. We have three other receivers that get regular playing time that are at least 6'2 or taller, and all jump balls to the endzone are thrown to Benjamin, who is around 5'9.

Morris hasn't been incredibly productive, but he lead us from behind against Maryland and won the game with some great decision making late in the game. He has an NFL caliber arm, and can actually make all the throws that Jacory wishes he could.

It's a godsend that Morris has stepped up for us, though. It is comical to watch Spencer Whipple play QB. He shouldnt even be a D2 starter.

Mooche

Reaction score
Jacory has a noodle arm. His INT problems stem from that almost exclusively. At least three times a game he'll lob a floating punt to the other team trying to hit our SHORTEST receiver downfield for a jump ball. We have three other receivers that get regular playing time that are at least 6'2 or taller, and all jump balls to the endzone are thrown to Benjamin, who is around 5'9.

Morris hasn't been incredibly productive, but he lead us from behind against Maryland and won the game with some great decision making late in the game. He has an NFL caliber arm, and can actually make all the throws that Jacory wishes he could.

It's a godsend that Morris has stepped up for us, though. It is comical to watch Spencer Whipple play QB. He shouldnt even be a D2 starter.
That's true man. He has one heck of a weak arm, and that is going to definitely hold him back. I heard one guy on a forum last year compare Jacory to Big Ben, I almost spit my water all over my computer screen. What a joke. Not even in the same ball park.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Physically, that comparison is awful, but I think I see where that person was coming from. Both are pretty wreckless quarterbacks. Both also played under Mark Whipple.

Mooche

Reaction score
Physically, that comparison is awful, but I think I see where that person was coming from. Both are pretty wreckless quarterbacks. Both also played under Mark Whipple.
Nah, it's a bad comparison. Big Ben I wouldn't say is a wreckless QB, at all. Yes, his decision making is usually bad when he decides to try and make a play out of nothing, but if he does, it is going to be a big time play. He has a strong arm. He can read a defense, unlike Harris and at the end of the day I don't see much between the two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%