Miami hires Al Golden

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The University of Miami hired Al Golden to be its next football coach Sunday evening.

The school will introduce Golden in a news conference Monday.

The 41-year-old Golden spent five seasons at Temple, transforming the Owls from a program that was 1-11 in his first season to winning 17 games in his past two seasons at the Philadelphia school.

"From the beginning of this process, one candidate stood above the rest as the right fit for the University of Miami," AD Kirby Hocutt said in a statement. "We are proud to welcome Al Golden to The U. His desire, leadership, communications skills and preparedness stood above the rest and he is the right man to meet the championship expectations of this program."

A source told The Associated Press that the deal is believed to be for at least four years and worth up to $8 million.

Golden succeeds Randy Shannon, who was fired after the Hurricanes (7-5) finished with a loss to South Florida.

The Owls went 8-4 this season, beating a Connecticut team that is headed for a BCS bowl by two touchdowns. They were not invited to a bowl game.

Temple was 0-11 the year before Golden arrived. In 2009 he led the Owls to their first bowl game in 30 years. He also presided over a dramatic improvement in the program's Academic Progress Rating -- one Golden and the school have previously called the greatest turnaround in the NCAA's APR era.

Golden, a New Jersey native and former Penn State tight end, has earned a reputation as a dogged recruiter and strong motivator in addition to being a disciplinarian.

Golden met twice in person with Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt, once in New York and then in Philadelphia, during the interview process. Former Miami assistant coach Marc Trestman, the coach of the two-time defending CFL Grey Cup champion Montreal Alouettes, also received strong consideration for the job, as did UConn coach Randy Edsall and Houston coach Kevin Sumlin.

Golden previously worked under Al Groh as Virginia's defensive coordinator. He was also an assistant under Joe Paterno at Penn State and under Tom O'Brien at Boston College.

Miami is playing in the Hyundai Sun Bowl against Notre Dame on Dec. 31. Interim coach Jeff Stoutland is expected to lead the Hurricanes against the Fighting Irish.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5912786

I love this hire.

Mooche

Reaction score
Cool hire for the 'Canes!

We really need to weigh our options at uT.. Hurricane, some guys want to bring in Shannon to uT, what do you think?

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Shannon is a brilliant defensive mind. Had Miamis defense in the top 10 5 out of the 6 years he was the DC.

He just doesnt have what it takes to be the main guy, and that was witnessed at Miami.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Golden is a great hire, he's a disciplinarian-type of guy, and in a very short period of time, he has turned around a program that was in bad shape. 17-8 in 2 seasons with Temple. I knew Golden was on their short list of candidates but I saw him at #3 or #4 on the list. I am willing to bet he interviewed really well and Miami feels he'll bring the most hard-nosed approach to the University. I really thought Al would hold out to be JoePa' successor at Penn State. Golden was a pretty damn good PSU tight end once upon a time.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't care what kind of shape they were in.. The guy went 17-8 playing in the MAC. I don't see why they would make this hire.

Mooche

Reaction score
Hurricane, yes, we need a new defensive mind, with Muschamp bolting for Florida. That still makes me mad, but.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't care what kind of shape they were in.. The guy went 17-8 playing in the MAC. I don't see why they would make this hire.
You obviously don't know just how bad Temple was not too long ago.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You obviously don't know just how bad Temple was not too long ago.
Yes, so bad that the University was considering dumping the football program altogether. Right away, Al Golden attracted a higher caliber of recruits and he inspired the team that was already in place. The MAC is a garbage conference but Temple was it's worst team for a decade.

I mean who's a better candidate? Just b/c you haven't heard of him doesn't make him a bad hire. Did anyone know who the hell Urban Meyer was when Utah brought him in from Bowling Green?

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Very nice hire for Miami. Al Golden basically saved Temple.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
WhitlockJason

Temple/Golden had the biggest budget in the MAC and he still didn't beat a MAC team w/winning record. Bad hire.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From 1991 to 2005, Temple won a TOTAL of 30 games.

In the past four years alone under Golden, Temple won 26.

In the past two seasons, Temple won 17 games. In that same time span, Miami won 16.

If you want to keep bringing up the bull<Censored> numbers and stats, I'll do the same.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Also, as UVA's defensive coordinator, he took a defense that was 108th in the nation in total defense and developed them into the 18th best in the nation. Also helped develop guys like Jamie Sharper, James Farrior, Ahmad Brooks, Chris Long, Clint Sintim, Darryl Blackstock, and so on.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dont listen to Jason Whitlock elcheato, he's a huge douche & likes to go against the grain in order to command the attention of ESPN Radio personalities...get his name on the air.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%