Maryland, Rutgers to join Big 10

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Doesn't change the fact that they get zero coverage, especially considering that was lit up that way like 6 years ago, the only thing anybody has talked about with the program recently is Greg Schiano leaving to coach Tampa, Eric LeGrand, and Darius Hamilton.

Other than that, I've never heard Rutgers mentioned on any of the local sports radio or anything like that

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That's what the word was originally but apparently now the ACC might try to replace Maryland with UConn AND Louisville
I doubt Louisville's academic standards are high enough for the ACC to accept them. However, If VT, FSU, Clemson and NC State bolt to the SEC in the near future, they probably wouldn't have much of a choice if they want to remain a BCS caliber conference.

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
Doesn't change the fact that they get zero coverage, especially considering that was lit up that way like 6 years ago, the only thing anybody has talked about with the program recently is Greg Schiano leaving to coach Tampa, Eric LeGrand, and Darius Hamilton.

Other than that, I've never heard Rutgers mentioned on any of the local sports radio or anything like that
Rutgers has multiple games on ESPN every year. Fuck your local coverage, that's national. You must be living under a rock if you think people weren't talking about RU when they were undefeated a couple of weeks ago.

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
I was referring to their relevance in those respective markets. I'm from Maryland I know college park is a big school and I would assume Rutgers is too....
Yeah, college football in general is irrelevant in the NYC area though. If you are rooting for a team in the NYC area based on proximity, you are rooting for Rutgers.

Also, the Giants and Jets don't play in NY...they play in New Jersey.
The location of Rutgers isn't the reason they aren't getting much coverage, it's because people don't give a fuck about college football over here.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
And they aren't gonna give a fuck when they're getting their asses kicked in the Big 10, either...

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rutgers? Yes, they'll be bad.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Also, Rutgers is ranked 18th in the nation right now in football, higher than the majority of the Big 10.
Isn't a normality though. Not like you think of a good football team when you think of Rutgers.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rutgers wins since 2006: 58
Michigan wins since 2006: 55

Rutgers bowl appearances since 2006: 6
Michigan bowl appearances since 2006: 4

Rutgers bowl victories since 2006: 5
Michigan bowl victories since 2006: 2

I know I'm only using one team as an example, but I am pretty sure that Ohio State is the only team currently in the B1G that has had more success overall than Rutgers in the past 6-7 years. I believe Wisconsin has a few more wins, but fewer bowls.

The Jersey/Philly area is also a great talent pool. Rutgers has been able to pull top 25-30 recruiting classes the past few years while playing in the least appealing major conference in the NCAA. Playing in the B1G, which has much better revenue sharing, will only help recruiting and allow Rutgers to keep the talent in that area home. Penn State being under heavy sanctions also helps.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
You're comparing apples to oranges though. Playing in a weaker conference = opportunity to get more wins = opportunity to make more bowls. I'll give Rutgers credit, Greg Schiano did a great job with that program, but I'm not sure if I'm a believer in their longterm success. Maryland's program is in a BAD state right now, and they won't fare well in the Big 10.

I do think the Big 10 is overrated, but you still have Ohio State/Michigan/MSU/Wisconsin/Nebraska/Penn State and neither of these schools can compete with those programs.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm probably arrogant to say this, but OSU is going to be in a league of their own in the Big 10 with Meyer here. (We pretty much were with Tressel anyway).

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A majority of the early success from that span was from a period where Louisville, USF and West Virginia had top 10 programs. Cincy also had a few 11 win squads.

They still wouldn't compete with the Big 10, but 5 years ago, the Big East wasn't the pushover conference that it is now.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rutgers wins since 2006: 58
Michigan wins since 2006: 55

Rutgers bowl appearances since 2006: 5
Michigan bowl appearances since 2006: 4

Rutgers bowl victories since 2006: 4
Michigan bowl victories since 2006: 2

I know I'm only using one team as an example, but I am pretty sure that Ohio State is the only team currently in the B1G that has had more success overall than Rutgers in the past 6-7 years. I believe Wisconsin has a few more wins, but fewer bowls.

The Jersey/Philly area is also a great talent pool. Rutgers has been able to pull top 25-30 recruiting classes the past few years while playing in the least appealing major conference in the NCAA. Playing in the B1G, which has much better revenue sharing, will only help recruiting and allow Rutgers to keep the talent in that area home. Penn State being under heavy sanctions also helps.
That's not a fair comparison. We had Rich Rod for a fair portion of that era. Also the end of Carr's tenure here.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm probably arrogant to say this, but OSU is going to be in a league of their own in the Big 10 with Meyer here. (We pretty much were with Tressel anyway).
IDK how you can't include Michigan there. I think it's going to be back to those 2006 days with Michigan-OSU being neck and neck again in a couple years. Hoke is a pretty damn good coach, and a real nice recruiter as well. OSU is going to be great, but you have to include Michigan in that group too.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That's not a fair comparison. We had Rich Rod for a fair portion of that era. Also the end of Carr's tenure here.
I could list the other top shelf B1G programs if you'd like, but I think it will still look roughly the same with them all outside of OSU.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
A majority of the early success from that span was from a period where Louisville, USF and West Virginia had top 10 programs. Cincy also had a few 11 win squads.

They still wouldn't compete with the Big 10, but 5 years ago, the Big East wasn't the pushover conference that it is now.
Again, the reason they were racking up that amount of wins is because of how terrible the Big East was. It was decent at best in its prime.

This is Louisville's first good year since Petrino left and calling USF a top 10 program is laughable. They snuck into the top 10 for a bit that one year and then ended up losing 4 games.... lol.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CC said it best. Can't really compare a pedigree from Big East football to the upper tier teams from the Big Ten.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
To be fair Michigan hasn't really been an upper-tier team in the past half-decade or so but they're getting back there in all likelihood

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CC said it best. Can't really compare a pedigree from Big East football to the upper tier teams from the Big Ten.
Perhaps, but you also can't disregard everything they've accomplished because of a perceived lack of competition.

Hell, the bottom of the Big Ten the past few years (Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois pre and post Juice Williams) could probably have rivaled the bottom of the Big Least.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They are. Rich Rod was an AWFUL choice for the school. And though he is a talented player, Denard is still Rich Rod's scraps. Once Hoke get's a full couple of classes under his belt, we shall be eating good again.

I mean a few years ago we had Steven Threet and Nick Sheridan as our starting QB?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%