Mariano Rivera Is The New All-Time Saves Leader

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
NEW YORK -- It's been said again and again over his 16-year career. And now it's official: Mariano Rivera is the top closer in baseball history.

The seemingly ageless right-hander recorded his 602nd career save on Monday in the New York Yankees' 6-4 win over the Minnesota Twins, placing him alone atop baseball's career saves list.

Trevor Hoffman is second on the list with 601 saves.

Rivera retired Twins shortstop Trevor Plouffe on a ground ball to second base and got right fielder Michael Cuddyer to fly out to right.

First baseman Chris Parmelee took a fastball for strike three to end the game and wrap up save No. 602.

Rivera embraced catcher Russell Martin and was met by the rest of his teammates in front of the mound.

The always understated Rivera stayed on the field for a few minutes, after some nudging by longtime teammate Jorge Posada, and stood on the mound with a tipped cap as cheers rained down from the crowd in the Bronx.

Rivera, who will turn 42 on Nov. 29, also leads baseball with 42 career postseason saves (Brad Lidge is second on the list with 18). He has a 0.71 postseason ERA and has held opponents to a .176 batting average.

Monday's save was Rivera's 43rd of 2011. He has eight seasons of at least 40-plus saves, one behind Hoffman's all-time record of nine. Rivera and Hoffman are the only pitchers with more than four 40-save seasons in Major League history.

Rivera ranks ninth all-time in games pitched (1,038) and owns eight of the Yankees' top 10 single-save totals.

He is a 12-time All-Star and was named MVP of the 1999 World Series after recording a win and two saves in the Yankees' four-game sweep of the Atlanta Braves.

Rivera's save on Monday against the Twins came 15 years and 125 days since his first save, on May 17, 1996 against the then California Angels. Over that span, the 6-foot-2, 185-pound Rivera has saved 62 more games than any other pitcher (Hoffman is second with 539). He also has 278 more saves than any other active pitcher (Francisco Cordero is second with 323).
ESPN

It's been a true blessing to watch him pitch for as long as Yankees fans have.

I think Girardi summed it up his greatness perfectly by saying that he's probably the only guy in baseball you feel comfortable with on the mound with the bases loaded and no outs.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Congrats to Mo. One of the truly amazing players in MLB history.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
ESPN

It's been a true blessing to watch him pitch for as long as Yankees fans have.

I think Girardi summed it up his greatness perfectly by saying that he's probably the only guy in baseball you feel comfortable with on the mound with the bases loaded and no outs.
i feel comfortable with Kenley Jansen :p

but congrats to Mo. I always have loved how classy he is
no bullshit celebrations after his saves. just a fist pump sometimes, and a hand shake with his catcher. the whole "yeah whatever. what did you expect" aura about him is awesome

everyone hates the Yankees, but it's extremely hard to hate on Mariano. pretty much impossible

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Congratz to Mariano, he deserves all the accolade possible. Dude has been such a class act throughout the years and the most guaranteed thing ever in baseball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%