Lions starting QB is..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Decision Made
Schwartz announces that rookie Matthew Stafford will be the team's starting quarterback

September 7, 2009

Schwartz announced Monday afternoon that rookie Matthew Stafford would be the team's starting quarterbackl.

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Since rookie quarterback Matthew Stafford was drafted first-overall by the Lions, the question has been posed: who will be under center for the Detroit Lions in 2009?

On Monday, Head Coach Jim Schwartz answered that question by announcing Stafford as the team’s starter.

“We announced to the team this morning that Matt Stafford is going to be our starting quarterback and informed both Matt and Daunte (Culpepper) this morning that that was going to be the case,” said Schwartz.

THE VETERAN
One of the first things Schwartz acknowledged was the hard work Culpepper has put in throughout the offseason stating that, “He’s back.”

“There is no doubt in my mind,” he said. “I don’t think there is any doubt around the league. The commitment that he made over the last six months to get back to being a starting NFL quarterback … I mean, that’s obvious, that’s apparent.”

One thing that Culpepper did struggle with at the very end of the preseason was a minor toe injury he suffered at his home that required eight stitches.

He wasn’t able to play in the team’s final preseason game as a result, but Schwartz says the injury didn’t play into his decision to go with Stafford for Week 1.

“I don’t think it would have changed the decision,” said Schwartz. “In the very beginning he made it a very difficult decision. Daunte did nothing to lose the job. Daunte did everything to win the job. It’s a good feeling to be here, going through this right now, in the situation that we are in. We’re comfortable going a lot of different ways in our quarterback position.

“It might’ve been a much easier decision, it may have been more obvious to everyone, if one had stood head and shoulders above everyone else and maybe other guys weren’t producing as well as they should. In that case, it’s worked out well for us.”

THE ROOKIE
So the choice is Stafford.

The rookie made some brilliant throws throughout the preseason; there were times the crowd’s gasp was audible as he completed a pass over the deep middle to Calvin Johnson in one of the last two games.

There were also multiple times Stafford turned the ball over via interception. His ups and downs throughout the preseason weren’t ignored by Schwartz.

“Experience is a funny thing,” said Schwartz. “You can only get it by playing. He can’t get it by sitting on the bench. There are some guys that may benefit from sitting on the bench and watching somebody else and those people typically don’t have a grasp of the offense. They still need to learn what defenses do. Their knowledge isn’t up where it needs to be yet.

“He was a different case there. What he lacked is playing experience and there is only one way to get that to him. But this isn’t an experiment. This isn’t an internship. We’re not asking him to go out there and practice. He’s out there to win and that’s the bottom line in this league.”

Stafford said after the team’s practice that he went into this week confident he would be “the guy.” He said he was also sure Culpepper did the same thing.

“I’m excited,” he said. “I’m looking forward to helping this team win games. Daunte (Culpepper) has been great for me and great for this team and will continue to be. I can’t ask for a better guy to learn from and have as a guy in my corner.”

Stafford says he talked with Culpepper following the decision and the classy veteran congratulated him on winning the job.

“It was tough for both of us through this whole camp and we understand that,” said Stafford. “I have a lot of respect for him and I think he has a lot of respect for me, so we’re just going to go out there and try to put some things together.

“It is tough for him, as it should be. I’m pulling for him.”

So Stafford will head into this weekend’s game – the first game that counts in the standings – as the team’s starter … a rookie starter.

As far as how he feels about leading this team as a first-year pro, he says the ability to do so is what makes the NFL so great.

“Age does not matter,” said Stafford. “We’re a team just like the Saints are a team and we’re going to go out there and try to be better than them on that Sunday and that’s the beauty of the game. I think (my teammates) respect what I can do. I definitely respect what each and every single one of them can do and we all understand that each of us has a part on this team to make this better.”
Hope he does good.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
There are varying schools of thought on this. I side more with just throwing him in there and seeing what hes got. Peyton Manning turned out fine.

Tigers94

Reaction score
Eh, I would have rather had Culpepper start the season off.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Culpepper isn't healthy right now and Stafford wins by default. No worries, Culpepper will get the job back by the 3rd game. Stafford is still out there making college throws.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Culpepper isn't healthy right now and Stafford wins by default. No worries, Culpepper will get the job back by the 3rd game. Stafford is still out there making college throws.
*Words ripped out of my mouth

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure Daunte will get it in a few weeks, unless Stafford really really plays well. I hope he does though, really excited to see him out there with CJ.

.loggie

Reaction score
although Culpepper is injured, i don't think that's why the Lions are going with Stafford. Shwartz said during the summer that they didn't want to just throw Stafford in and when he's ready, he'll play. Shwartz sounds commited to Stafford so i doubt that Culpepper will start unless Stafford is injured or playing REALLY bad.

VC15

Reaction score
I saw this earlier today on a Tiger forum where I was going to spew a bunch of <Censored> talking about the upcoming playoff series.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It also doesn't hurt that he is getting paid the extreme dollars haha.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah Daunte should be the starter once he's healthy.

Grandy28

Victory!!!!
Reaction score
although Culpepper is injured, i don't think that's why the Lions are going with Stafford. Shwartz said during the summer that they didn't want to just throw Stafford in and when he's ready, he'll play. Shwartz sounds commited to Stafford so i doubt that Culpepper will start unless Stafford is injured or playing REALLY bad.
Agreed 100%. If Culpepper was gonna start the season he would've be out by week 6 unless he was playing real good. Stafford is the one making the big bucks and needs to prove himself. He's forming a nice duo with Calvin. He may have thrown a pick a game, but for the first couple he didn't have Calvin, Pettigrew, Bryant Johnson and Dennis Northcutt.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Agreed 100%. If Culpepper was gonna start the season he would've be out by week 6 unless he was playing real good. Stafford is the one making the big bucks and needs to prove himself. He's forming a nice duo with Calvin. He may have thrown a pick a game, but for the first couple he didn't have Calvin, Pettigrew, Bryant Johnson and Dennis Northcutt.
Yeah that's what I was going to say. He wasn't good in the first few games, but he didn't have the chance to play with the starters out there.

Also, didn't Daunte only need a few stitches in his foot? That really wouldn't sideline him long enough for 2 weeks would it? lol

Grandy28

Victory!!!!
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was going to say. He wasn't good in the first few games, but he didn't have the chance to play with the starters out there.

Also, didn't Daunte only need a few stitches in his foot? That really wouldn't sideline him long enough for 2 weeks would it? lol
Yeah Culpepper should be healthy by week 1. Schwartz isn't going to give Stafford the job and take it away from him unless we haven't won a game and it's Staffords fault, which I doubt it would be.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Either way, I'm really excited :)

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There are varying schools of thought on this. I side more with just throwing him in there and seeing what hes got. Peyton Manning turned out fine.
For every manning there is 2 kids who started too early and it killed their development. I hope it works out for the kid and the lions.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Yeah, I hope nothing but the best for the Lions and Stafford. I hope he does good and becomes one of the elite QB's in the league with time. Detroit needs a good QB.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
He needs to sit; the success, while mild, of Ryan and Flacco last season isn't easily emulated by first year quarterbacks.

Most first year quarterbacks suck; Joey Harrington 12 TD's, 16 INT's, 59.9 RAT; Alex Smith 1 TD's, 11 INT's, 40.8 RAT; David Carr 9 TD's, 15 INT's, 62.8 RAT; Ryan Leaf 2 TD's, 15 INT's, 39.0 RAT; Heath Shuler 10 TD's, 12 INT's, 59.6 RAT.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The QB's you listed do suck, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%