LeBron James switching from #23 to #6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I like his point about a league-wide retirement of the number for MJ.

I wonder if they'll really do it?

LeBron James could reportedly have a new number next season, but Cleveland Cavaliers fans hope the words remain the same.

Super Six of the Hall of Fame

Four Cavs have worn No. 6 in the franchise's history: Larry Nance, Shannon Brown, Mitchell Butler and Jerome Moiso. Not one Basketball Hall of Famer there, but these six NBA players who wore the number are:

Induction year
Julius Erving 1993
Patrick Ewing 2008
Tom Gola 1976
Buddy Jeannette 1994
Neil Johnston 1990
Bill Russell 1975

James filed paperwork to switch from No. 23 to No. 6, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported on Monday. He beat a Friday deadline to make the request.

The All-Star said in November that he was thinking of giving up 23 out of respect for his hero Michael Jordan, but at that time he was "50-50," according to the newspaper.

"I've done it," James told the Plain Dealer. "I already sent it in. I'm going to be No. 6."

Six is James' jersey number on the Olympic team, but the NBA does not have to grant his request. If James switches teams, he can choose any number he wishes. The change only applies if he stays with the Cavaliers.

James will be part of the vaunted 2010 free-agent class that includes Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. While Bulls fans would like to see him try to make No. 6 as legendary as No. 23 in Chicago, New York has also maneuvered to have enough cap space to sign James.

Cleveland can sign James to a longer, more lucrative deal, however.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
well - guess this is one step closer? LOL

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, I see that now. So he's really making the change? Idk about this, there are great players who wore #6.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Probably just wants to make his own legacy instead of being the 2nd #23. There are some great players who wore #6, but LeBron has a chance to become a top 5 player ever, and just thinking that he would want his own legacy instead of living in MJs shadow.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Probably just wants to make his own legacy instead of being the 2nd #23. There are some great players who wore #6, but LeBron has a chance to become a top 5 player ever, and just thinking that he would want his own legacy instead of living in MJs shadow.
He'd be the 3rd #6...Russell and Erving both wore it before him

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I know, but he has a chance to become one of the best players ever and surpass those guys, but the chancing of passing up MJ with all his accolades is slim.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Once again I think it's a dumb idea. Like Kobe from 8 to 24.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah but it was still stupid.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
We are talking about a basketball player changing a number...... no comment...

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kobe when he was 8>>>>>24 Kobe

As a big MJ stan...I dont see the point of retiring his number league wide unless you do that for a bunch of guys like Wilt,Bill,Magic and Bird

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I agree with TYO. I think if Michael Jordan did something transcendent outside the game then the number should be retired league wide. Like for example go and fight for his country or breaking a color barrier like Jackie Robinson did.

Its all a matter of opinion when it comes to being impactful in terms of the game of basketball itself. I might feel that Dr. J had a greater impact on the game than MJ did and even MJ will attest to the fact that he idolized Dr. J and became what he was through him.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We should be talking about Bruce Bowen PIMPING THE HELL out of that bow tie!

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
personally, i dont care if he changes it.
i think it's kinda cool

Amare, Kobe are two who have done it recently.

I just dont like that he says he wants to honor MJ.
Ok, fine he wants to honor MJ. great, but then dont go and pick a number that belongs to someone like Bill Russell. Russell was so transcendent, that the League named the NBA FInals MVP after him!

thats my only problem. By him saying he wants to honor one guy by getting a new number is kind of disrespectful when the number he chooses belonged to greats like Dr. J and Bill Russell.

But you see how silly that is?
Just keep 23, who cares?

well he changed it to 6 now. And like i said thats cool too

lol did i confuse anyone?

oh, and why did he wait so long to do this?
he's been wearing 23 since he was a kid, and now in his 7th year in the league he just realizes he wants to honor MJ? lol

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If he wants to change his number, fine. If he wants to do it by suddenly honoring MJ, that's fine too.

League-wide retirement of #23? Oh please.

Jarrod, of all people I didn't think that you'd fall into liking that. What did Jordan do besides doing what you're supposed to do when you suit up for a game? He was great, he always played hard, his skill was undeniable, he did set a huge example for the many coming after him. But if you're going to retire a number because of that then Bird's and Magic's numbers should be retired both league-wide in the NBA and in college if not everywhere. They brought life to a dying sport and organization. I'm sure you already know the story of those two greats.

But yea that's my gripe. No reason to retire #23 league-wide really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%